Round 16, 2014 - Gold Coast vs Collingwood @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Young's dropped mark was the embodiment of what went wrong for us tonight, but it's a bit rough to pin the loss on him. Our disposal efficiency sank to a new low, and there are others the finger could be pointed at tonight - Seedsman, Adams, Dwyer, and a few others didn't cover themselves in glory, either.

Well done to the Suns, would have been a travesty if we had pinched it not on the basis of our play, but by virtue of them almost being reduced to seeing if one of the Auskick kids from the half-time game could suit up and provide fresh legs in the last.

No Ablett. No bench. No worries.

That's our best ever win easily. Plenty of heart, resilience and determination. And we are still about two or three years from entering our prime as a football side.

Yep. That was last man standing, fight to death stuff. That wasn't talented kids showing off. It was a football team determined to make serious progress. 2014 might not be the year, but we're all playing for 2nd place next year.

Young's dropped mark was the embodiment of what went wrong for us tonight, but it's a bit rough to pin the loss on him. Our disposal efficiency sank to a new low, and there are others the finger could be pointed at tonight - Seedsman, Adams, Dwyer, and a few others didn't cover themselves in glory, either.

Well done to the Suns, would have been a travesty if we had pinched it not on the basis of our play, but by virtue of them almost being reduced to seeing if one of the Auskick kids from the half-time game could suit up and provide fresh legs in the last.

I also think that Collingwood's weakness is there key backs Frost and Keefe.
There halfback's are good and they have good team defence

When Collingwood play a side with a strong midfield and the opposition get the footy in the forward half, they key backs get beaten.

Collingwood need Reid back desperately.

Cant see Collingwood winning a final with those two in the key posts

Yep. That was last man standing, fight to death stuff. That wasn't talented kids showing off. It was a football team determined to make serious progress. 2014 might not be the year, but we're all playing for 2nd place next year.
What I love about the Suns is the way Bluey has coached the team from the start. Plenty of hard workers, fight it out to the end, don't give up. Our talent alone isn't going to get us far. Sure we're inconsistent as a young side but you know the boys are always giving it their all. If that type of win doesn't earn respect from all footy followers then nothing will. There are some who are envious of our start up concessions and want to see us fail but that win wasn't built on concessions, it was built on courage and heart.

To wait for the man to get the ball then plough him into the ground takes skill and courage. Typifies the game of an unskilled player.

What I love about the Suns is the way Bluey has coached the team from the start. Plenty of hard workers, fight it out to the end, don't give up. Our talent alone isn't going to get us far. Sure we're inconsistent as a young side but you know the boys are always giving it their all. If that type of win doesn't earn respect from all footy followers then nothing will. There are some who are envious of our start up concessions and want to see us fail but that win wasn't built on concessions, it was built on courage and heart.

It's one thing to get concessions, you still have to choose the right talent and develop them properly. Other clubs have received concessions and pissed them up against the wall. Don't get me wrong, I'm spewing at least one of O'Meara, Swallow, Bennell and Martin aren't playing for the Eagles, but a small part of me is just glad they've all landed in the same place and I can't wait to see what they can produce as a unit. I'm not looking forward to seeing what they do to my beloved Eagles though.

want to see us fail but that win wasn't built on concessions, it was built on courage and heart.

you have so many unbelievably talented 19-21yr old's who are now literally beating players who are into their 5th and 7th seasons. The quality is profound and you got too much in my opinion. Even blokes who have stagnated for a couple of years because of injuries or form such as Smith, Dixon, they make the likes of Vickery, Hurley seem like amateurs such is their 'best' in comparison to their peers.
Unless teams can pinch a few, it will be like watching the Brisbane Lions of 2000 all over again.

This other kid in Martin, I mean he's touted as being the best of the lot and we haven't even seen O'Meara or Bennell get out of third gear yet.

We need a "Mutley, from whacky races" smilie

Mutley-1_zps39c89bcf.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you have so many unbelievably talented 19-21yr old's who are now literally beating players who are into their 5th and 7th seasons. The quality is profound and you got too much in my opinion. Even blokes who have stagnated for a couple of years because of injuries or form such as Smith, Dixon, they make the likes of Vickery, Hurley seem like amateurs such is their 'best' in comparison to their peers.
Unless teams can pinch a few, it will be like watching the Brisbane Lions of 2000 all over again.

It'll be like watching Voss, Black, Lappin, Cousins, Judd and Kerr all playing for the same team.

Does Young deserve his spot in the side? Time and time again his kicking has let us down in crucial moments. Ironically we recruited him for his kicking prowess. That dropped mark is probably the final straw. My grandmother could have mark that ball with blindfolds on.

Where did I say North will finish 6th?
Where did I say Collingwood will finish 7th?
Where did I say North would play Collingwood?
north-geelong-collingwood are likely to finish 5-6 and 7. meaning 6th and 7th are essentially the same.
you obviously missed this and were celebrating the likelehood of finishing 6th when it will just be a symbolic home game, not one with an advantage.

north-geelong-collingwood are likely to finish 5-6 and 7. meaning 6th and 7th are essentially the same.
you obviously missed this and were celebrating the likelehood of finishing 6th when it will just be a symbolic home game, not one with an advantage.
If Geelong finished 6th and North finished 7th, would you want to play them at Geelong where they played their first final last year?
Didn't think so.
Therefore, 6th and 7th are not essentially the same.
Better to finish 6th than 7th.

If Geelong finished 6th and North finished 7th, would you want to play them at Geelong where they played their first final last year?
Didn't think so.
Therefore, 6th and 7th are not essentially the same.
Better to finish 6th than 7th.
don't want to argue with a fellow north fan mate but I think if Geelong finish 6th and it's a final and North are 7th the final SHOULD be at the MCG.
there is justification for playing the freo one there but the crowd for a geelong-north final would be in the region of 50k so I'd be surprised if they went down that route again. The MCG would be enough of an advantage for Geelong anyway - would play there 4 or 5 times more per season than North I reckon.

don't want to argue with a fellow north fan mate but I think if Geelong finish 6th and it's a final and North are 7th the final SHOULD be at the MCG.
there is justification for playing the freo one there but the crowd for a geelong-north final would be in the region of 50k so I'd be surprised if they went down that route again. The MCG would be enough of an advantage for Geelong anyway - would play there 4 or 5 times more per season than North I reckon.
I suspect if it's Geel 6th vs NM 7th it would be at Etihad because it would fill it and would help the AFL fulfill their Etihad finals quota.
The precedent has been set though with the AFL giving Geelong a home final at the cattery. They would earn the right to host a home final and KP is their home ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back