Discussion Round 17, 2015 - Footy Jumper Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Eagles usually wear tri panel against the swans in Perth.
Interestingly, in 05 and 06 QF at subi, eagles wore tri panel but when the teams met a few weeks later in the GF they wore full royal.

2005 Qualifying final we wore the tri panel with the flying eagle and in the 2006 Qualifying final we wore the full royal wings. We were the away team in both grand finals I believe judging by the tv scoreboard with syd above wce. They say that the wings are our traditional finals strip yet in 2011 semi final against carlton we wore the tri panel with white shorts over a full royal kit which would've made a much more visually appealing and non clashy game to watch.

2005 Qualifying final we wore the tri panel with the flying eagle and in the 2006 Qualifying final we wore the full royal wings. We were the away team in both grand finals I believe judging by the tv scoreboard with syd above wce. They say that the wings are our traditional finals strip yet in 2011 semi final against carlton we wore the tri panel with white shorts over a full royal kit which would've made a much more visually appealing and non clashy game to watch.

Yeh you're right about 06 QF.. My bad.

We were the away team in both grand finals I believe judging by the tv scoreboard with syd above wce.
2004 was Port v Brisbane on the scoreboard but Port wore the white shorts. The AFL has been consistently inconsistent on this over the years.
They say that the wings are our traditional finals strip yet in 2011 semi final against carlton we wore the tri panel with white shorts over a full royal kit which would've made a much more visually appealing and non clashy game to watch.
The AFL would have decided to put WCE in tri-panel as it had more white and other light colours. Carlton's clash top is considered inappropriate for Finals and as such the AFL, who have full control over what jumpers clubs wear in finals (or what requests from clubs they will honour, eg they let Freo go for white jumpers when told they'd have to wear white shorts), told WCE they'd have to wear tri-panel with white shorts. And boy did they get slammed for it!

2004 was Port v Brisbane on the scoreboard but Port wore the white shorts. The AFL has been consistently inconsistent on this over the years.
To add to the confusion, Collingwood wore black shorts in the previous two GFs against Brisbane in full maroon.

To add to the confusion, Collingwood wore black shorts in the previous two GFs against Brisbane in full maroon.
Ahh but Collingwood's shorts don't clash because they have white stripes...on their jumpers.

I don't post much around here but I think every time I have had been to express my disdain for that brown f***ing useless Hawthorn guernsey.

Ahh my favourite Twitter ally in the fight against this folly:

This is Hawthorn going F*** the system.

It's their version of the Boston Tea Party.

But they should be wearing their home, by default both home jumpers should be worn if they don't clash, and that works here. They remind me of Fremantle the year before they introduced the chevrons (2010 I think). They kept wearing their plain purple and white guernseys at the expanse of the home jumper.

This is Hawthorn going F*** the system.

It's their version of the Boston Tea Party.

But they should be wearing their home, by default both home jumpers should be worn if they don't clash, and that works here. They remind me of Fremantle the year before they introduced the chevrons (2010 I think). They kept wearing their plain purple and white guernseys at the expanse of the home jumper.
Hey if a club wants an away jumper I'm all for it. Fremantle case in point. Thing is though, they don't wear their white away jumper vs Geelong, North, or Sydney. Similarly, if Hawthorn wants a brown away jumper, all power to them. But it should be worn against Geelong, Gold Coast, North, Sydney, and the Bulldogs - teams who don't wear dark jumpers at home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey if a club wants an away jumper I'm all for it. Fremantle case in point. Thing is though, they don't wear their white away jumper vs Geelong, North, or Sydney. Similarly, if Hawthorn wants a brown away jumper, all power to them. But it should be worn against Geelong, Gold Coast, North, Sydney, and the Bulldogs - teams who don't wear dark jumpers at home.
I was actually agreeing with you.

But they should be wearing their home, by default both home jumpers should be worn if they don't clash, and that works here.

Hey if a club wants an away jumper I'm all for it.

I was actually agreeing with you.
Mmmmm, nahh you weren't. You said home jumpers default unless there's a clash, I said there's nothing wrong with away jumpers provided the away jumper doesn't clash. :)

Gold my friend, gold.
No yellow at Hawthorn.
This is usually one the more intelligent pages on BF.
Can we get this right please.
It's gold or yellow, does it really make a difference?
I don't think using a word that is fairly synonymous is a problem (eg Jumper/Guernsey)
And I'd be careful making comments linking people's intelligence with their use of a word when everybody understands what they mean :)

"Crows and Suns clash," say the AFL.
"No they don't," says the half-time Under 9's coordinator.
CKvHOcFUsAApHiL.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back