Preview Round 17 against Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, only four weeks after we played them the first time, we're up against the Dees again.

This is the third of FIVE GAMES IN A ROW that Melbourne are playing at the MCG.

This is in the middle of a patch where we play every game on Sunday - SIX GAMES worth. Oh, and for FOUR of those six games, the AFL have kindly given our opposition an extra day or two's break (Essendon=1 day; Giants=1 day; Richmond= 2 days; Melbourne = 0 days; Power = 1 day; Freo = 0 days)... isn't that so nice of the AFL...?

There's a bit of a "Darcy Parish Cup" feel about this game, with whoever loses probably ensuring they get a top-4 pick. Tanking, y'say? Hmm, I smell a Melbourne loss. :p

Out: Riewoldt, Lonie
In: Membrey, Schneider

Roo is obvious, given the injury, and I think Members is the most likely to take his place - effectively taking Paddy's third-tall position, leaving Paddy to take second-tall for Roo. Given that loss of experience the forward line looks rather green, so Schneids comes back in just to offer leadership there. Lonie was off his game today, subbed, and probably is due for a little rest anyway.

You'd say Roo is odds-on to miss 2-4 weeks with the calf, and I agree Lonie looks like he needs a rest; Membrey is a no-brainer for Roo, but throwing it out there for a bit of fun, after two excellent weeks for Sandringham, why not Murdoch on the big wide of the MCG?

FB: Geary - Goddard - Webster
HB: Dempster - Fisher - Savage
RK: Longer - Armitage - Steven
CR: Roberton - Dunstan - Newnes
HF: Weller - Bruce - Montagna
FF: Membrey - McCartin - Sinclair
IC: Templeton Ray Gilbert
Sub: Murdoch

Last edited:
OUT
Ray - Just didnt do enough and was basically a ghost out there. Disnt really impact as the sub last week so give him a spell in the 2's to find touch again.

Templeton - Not AFL standard based on this game. Could drop Lonie instead but he has runs on the board. Eli needs to smash the VFL and get his mojo back.

Roo - Injured

IN
Saunders - Has been doing what Eli needs to do and deserves a chance to save his spot on the list. Get him in the guts and see how he goes at the top level.

Murdoch - Is such a weapon and looks fit. Can play forward, back or mid but is more of a goal scoring threat than Ray.

Markworth - Got through the VFL well so lets welcome him to the big dance. Between he and Murdoch we have the hit up options across half forward while Bruce and Paddy take the big guys.

Sinc a full game. Lonie Sub.

OUT
Ray - Just didnt do enough and was basically a ghost out there. Disnt really impact as the sub last week so give him a spell in the 2's to find touch again.

Templeton - Not AFL standard based on this game. Could drop Lonie instead but he has runs on the board. Eli needs to smash the VFL and get his mojo back.

Roo - Injured

IN
Saunders - Has been doing what Eli needs to do and deserves a chance to save his spot on the list. Get him in the guts and see how he goes at the top level.

Murdoch - Is such a weapon and looks fit. Can play forward, back or mid but is more of a goal scoring threat than Ray.

Markworth - Got through the VFL well so lets welcome him to the big dance. Between he and Murdoch we have the hit up options across half forward while Bruce and Paddy take the big guys.

You know what, this I could get behind...

Riewoldt said after the game that he didn't aggravate his calf anymore and it didn't flair up after the game..?

Watching him during the game (and after the game) he was struggling. I suspect he was just saying that to justify playing (if it wasn't Maddy's game no way he would have played). No reason to play him at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be nice to keep our dominance over Melbourne going, but I can't say I'm confident, simply because it's at the 'G.

I reckon in my 12 years of following footy, I could count the number of times we've won at the 'G on my fingers.
You must have about 5 hands:p. During the last 12 yrs I count about 23 wins at the G.
Need a stat expert to back me up though.
I might be a couple out either way.

You must have about 5 hands:p. During the last 12 yrs I count about 23 wins at the G.
Need a stat expert to back me up though.
I might be a couple out either way.

May have been a slight exaggeration, haha. To be honest from 06-08 I wouldn't remember many of our wins.

It's certainly been a while since we beat anyone other than Melbourne at the MCG though.

OUT

Roo - Injured

IN

Eli has been smashing it in the VFL so probably deserves at least a few weeks to get the pace of the game. I'd give he & Lonie a run on the space at the G & see if they can create some havoc. I think Eli got a little lost when the Tigers midfield ran all over us & just couldn't get near it... he's been playing slogging, contested footy in the wet over the past 3 weeks at Sandy so you'd think it might take him a little while to get the pace of the game on a hard fast Etihad deck.

I don't mind your suggestion of giving Faz a spell & bringing in a younger player but I suspect Richo will see this game as a massive chance of another win so we'll go in with a bit more experience. I'd love to see Murds & Marky get a run though (although Murds has only played 2 VFL games & Marky 1 so you'd think they'd need to put together a solid month before getting a chance).

Would be nice to keep our dominance over Melbourne going, but I can't say I'm confident, simply because it's at the 'G.

I reckon in my 12 years of following footy, I could count the number of times we've won at the 'G on my fingers.

I still get PTSD style flashbacks of David Neitz bombing goals from 60 out on the boundary against Maxy. Was the only player I can recall getting hold of him every time we played.

While I realize that Markworth has only had one senior VFL game my thinking is that if he is fit he needs to get a run at AFL level. Give him the confidence and belief that he will get his chance in 2016 and beyond if he holds up.

OUT

Roo - Injured

IN

I thought Ray was pretty solid.

I'm confused. We would have to be the worst kicking team in the league yet when one of the best kicks on the list plays a game everyone wants him dropped immediately. Don't dominate = you're out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back