Preview Round 17 against Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
50/50 is a percentage I pulled out of my bum. Any players that don't have a contract next year are in trouble.

Pretty much none of these players will need games so we can decide to keep them or not:
Sam Gilbert
Arryn Siposs
Farren Ray
Tom Simpkin
Sean Dempster
Sam Fisher
Lewis Pierce
Spencer White
Darren Minchington
Daniel Markworth
Joseph Baker-Thomas (International Rookie Scholarship)
Jason Holmes (International Rookie Scholarship)

Minich is the only person on that list that might be in that position imo.

Markworth will stay and will get games if his VFL form is good enough.

Not trying to be a smart a**e but we as a club have been lauded for our improvement and competitiveness this year and then a lot of supporters are critical of the selection of Schneider who just helps us on field so much. It's such a fine balance for Match Committee, we need to both get senior footy into kids who may not quite deserve it to help build for the future and also win (or at least be competitive) in games to ensure that our board, members, sponsors etc are content with their investments.
If our supporters knew how much work went into selecting a team that gives us a balance of both then there would be less complaints. It's not ideal but we are really trying to have the best of both worlds this season and I for one think it's been successful.

....but then there are a large number of supporters who understand that there has to be a balance and are comfortable with this approach. They can see the larger picture and understand that these things have to be done in a certain way.

"You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”
John Lydgate

I wonder if with the timing of Schneider out (didn't even play vfl to me knowledge?) and now ray. If Richo has committed to playing the younger blokes but out of respect to the older guys will rotate them through rather than see them play out there days in the vfl.. Maybe Gilbo next? Although I think he will still be with us next year

IMO if Gilbo's return to fitness and form continues it will probably be a big reason for Ray to be phased out this year. Ray would just be taking up a spot from a kid when we have enough other senior players that play a similar role that can help the kids develop.

IMO if Gilbo's return to fitness and form continues it will probably be a big reason for Ray to be phased out this year. Ray would just be taking up a spot from a kid when we have enough other senior players that play a similar role that can help the kids develop.
What really craps me off is that we never seem to even refer to Ray as one of the senior players who should get a game to help nurture the up and comers blah blah blah. The bloke is a player in his own right and a mighty fine player at that.
If we are out to win games, play him.

He's in the side to help us win the game and develop a winning culture at the club.
The stats would indicate the opposite view, we've won two of the three games that Schneider didn't play in this year.

Its clear that I'm wrong and that the smart thing to keep playing players who won't be here next year and leave the ones who are going to be part of the mix playing at Sandy.

After this game we've got 7 rounds to go and given the run home I seriously doubt that anybody who gets a run in that time will be part of a "winning culture"

What really craps me off is that we never seem to even refer to Ray as one of the senior players who should get a game to help nurture the up and comers blah blah blah. The bloke is a player in his own right and a mighty fine player at that.

Ray certainly is one of those senior players that can help mentor the kids but he's clearly not one of our better ones. As the kids develop we are going to reduce the number of senior players we have on the list. It would seem logical to me that you get rid of the worst performing senior players first.

The fact that Ray has been dropped in favor of Schneider would indicate that he is not necessarily part of the team if we want to win games (if his form continues).

Great Mark. Good runner. Just a poor kick.

I disagree on Ray. He's not a super star but his disposal isn't as bad as some are making out. He is a bit of an unreliable kick on goal but field kicking is very reliable over all. I think he's not as highly respected because he is always seen as a ring in rather than a player we developed. He's been a great servant of the club and his attitude and application are very good. He is a bit like Newnes in that he hasn't got one killer trait just a solid all rounder who doesn't have too many deficiencies. He's always shepherding or running along side or making space which is what you want in a team mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree on Ray. He's not a super star but his disposal isn't as bad as some are making out. He is a bit of an unreliable kick on goal but field kicking is very reliable over all. I think he's not as highly respected because he is always seen as a ring in rather than a player we developed. He's been a great servant of the club and his attitude and application are very good. He is a bit like Newnes in that he hasn't got one killer trait just a solid all rounder who doesn't have too many deficiencies. He's always shepherding or running along side or making space which is what you want in a team mate.
It's forward entry kicks only.

I disagree, by my eyes, he turns over every second kick.

He's a good team man, but he's a poor kick, a poor tackler and only just better than average football smarts.

Good bloke by all reports, but not a player who should keep Acres, McKenzie out of the side for mine.

I disagree, by my eyes, he turns over every second kick.

He's a good team man, but he's a poor kick, a poor tackler and only just better than average football smarts.

Good bloke by all reports, but not a player who should keep Acres, McKenzie out of the side for mine.

Speaking of DMAC, a mate of mine went to some sponsors event for the saints on Thursday night and he said he spoke to Jack Newnes and asked him who is the most exciting prospect to look out for. He said DMAC. I am looking forward to seeing DMAC back in the side.

Ahh the forgotten man - my apologies.

Predicted wet windy - that's why I was thinking if Roo was in doubt they would have held back Membrey.

Well my Avatar gives it away. Ray is what epitomizes St Kilda attitude, No fuss, does his job as best he can, has developed his skills as far as he can. He has great hands in a marking contest just gets smashed when the big boys crash the pack, guess what gets up and does it again. Leadership is by example and attitude and that is what he shows the younger talented and potentially better players how to get the best out of yourself which has resulted in a lengthy career. Acres and DMac are the obvious replacements for him and when they are ready (which they are not quite yet) Faz will make way for them and step out of football a well respected and liked player for our club.

Demon supporter here, don't mean to invade your convo, but do any of you blokes have an update on Reiwoldt? will he play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back