Game Day Round 17: St Kilda v Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

I love spud as a player but as a "personality" it's a real shame he is our most prominent old boy. Luckily Montagna will fix that when he retires. (Maybe evn Goddard if he lets his forced love of the drug cheats go)

I doubt BJ will come back into the fold once he retires. it currently is a love fest between him and Hird. i am sure that will continue

Not only does Templeton look like Ellen, he also defends like she would. I'll eat my hat if he plays 50 games.
sorting-hat.jpeg
The Hat wants to know are you basing this on him only having played 6 games of AFL so far or the few mins he was on the ground yesterday?
Early call In the hats opinion.

Last edited:
What an ordinary call on tv.

Ham - Q3 and weller having a shot on goal. Cue: he has never kicked a goal on the mcg. A quirk of his career.

Weller played less than 50 games... St kilda homeground is docklands.. Obviously, he'd have played very little on mcg.

What an ordinary call on tv.

Ham - Q3 and weller having a shot on goal. Cue: he has never kicked a goal on the mcg. A quirk of his career.

Weller played less than 50 games... St kilda homeground is docklands.. Obviously, he'd have played very little on mcg.
Thought the same thing doubted if he'd even ever played on g for Gold Coast

I think it went on.

Leigh Matthews - if McCartin has to succeed, he has to develop a bigger tank.

(other dude - was it Cam Mooney?) - in tac cup they have to have 3 forwards in all the time, hence, forwards need to come in to afl and build a tank...

(Later on) - someone from Geelong Falcons tweets that McCartin was similar to Jonathan Brown.

Leigh - Jonathan Brown had a great tank...

(Other dude) - Yes.. I think JB mentioned that he trained with the midfield group, but when he started, it was a big transition...

Leigh - (Waffle)

Leigh Matthews has been an overrated commentator for years. Never says anything of value. But he'll say something like "Collingwood is winning this game because they've had 62 tackles to 49" and the other commentators will go "yeah, gee. That's why Leigh is so great. Fantastic insight, Leigh. It's just such a privilege to have you here".

I'm not sure if the football old boys club is getting worse, I'm getting older or society is moving on, but it's pretty abysmal. The drug cheating scandal has shown them up for what they are as well. Hopefully they keep pumping each others tires and they catastrophically and irreparably explode soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eddie is one of the best, when he's not calling Pies games. Actually understands the highs and lows of games and commentates accordingly. Also loves a bit of biff. And I actually like Leigh and Bomber.

The worst are Dwayne, Darcy, Basil.
Part of what I really like about Eddie's commentating, is that it's both professional but also approachable. He really makes you feel like he's a mate sitting in your loungeroom enjoying the game with you - I guess it's that he seems to understand that being a caller is about being invited into somebody's house to talk to them about something that they really care about. And he brings the best out of the other commentators too. You saw it in the way he called the Freo game last year when we won - he was the main guy leading the rest in laughing about Billy's pointing at the scoreboard. It made us all want to laugh WITH them, like a bunch of mates watching it at the pub or something. Loved that.

Not only does Templeton look like Ellen, he also defends like she would. I'll eat my hat if he plays 50 games.
The guy who registered 9 tackles and 2 1%s in a loss to the Crows over here in Adelaide, you mean that Eli Templeton? o_O

Make sure you let us all know what a hat tastes like.

Unfair comparison.

It is well known that Ellen is not a ball player :cool:

I expect Robbo to fawn over Roosey tomorrow on 360 and talk about how tough it must be to coach when the umps are against you.

Roosey will then talk about how they were all confused in the coaches box about what was going to be paid and what wasnt.

There will be no talk about how the Dees flooded from the first bounce and never really gave themselves a chance to win.

There will be no questions about what Roos was trying to teach the young players in his team.

There will be no questions about whether or not Roos is actually improving the list or if he just brought in a bunch of senior castoffs to help paper over the cracka for a few years.

You are a fraud Paul Roos.

You had the players and tactics right for 2 seasons but even 2005 was a fluke as it took Nick Davis performing a football miricle and Barry Hall getting off like OJ to win you a flag.

You have totally failed to evolve with this sport.

All you have done to this Melbourne list is paper over the cracks. They are no further developed than they were when you took over. Simon Goodwin is litterally going to have to rebuild this list AGAIN come 2017.

In 10 years time I hope people look back on this and see Roosey for the LUCKY, over hyped, snake oil selling dinosaur he really is.

Harsh, but absolutely accurate. The media love for Roos is just sickening, and totally over the top. Great points about Roos having every advantage possible to win a flag, would also add that his assistants at the time where Longmire and Lyon from memory. Not a bad support team.

Any progress Melbourne can claim to have made under Roos can be easily explained by the inevitable improvement in their playing list. You can't muck up every draft pick!

I would be absolutely shattered as a Melbourne supporter watching this brand of footy. It's atrocious, have a number of Melbourne supporters as mates. Was talking to them about the Dees after the Brissie win and they were all absolutely horrified. Most putrid game of footy anybody has ever seen. Melbourne supporters are well and truly starting to catch on, the Roos love is waning very fast. The rebuild of the rebuild of the rebuild is fast approaching.

Last edited:
Harsh, but absolutely accurate. The media love for Roos is just sickening, and totally over the top. Great points about Roos having every advantage possible to win a flag, would also add that his assistants at the time where Longmire and Lyon from memory. Not a bad support team.

Any progress Melbourne can claim to have made under Roos can be easily explained by the inevitable improvement in their playing list. You can't muck up every draft pick!

I would be absolutely shattered as a Melbourne supporter watching this brand of footy. It's atrocious, have a number of Melbourne supporters as mates. Was talking to them about the Dees after the Brissie win and they were all absolutely horrified. Most putrid game of footy anybody has ever seen. Melbourne supporters are well and truly starting to catch on, the Roos love is waning very fast. The rebuild of the rebuild of the rebuild is fast approaching.
Warning signs were always there.
Coaches are usually a newer coach who would give their left one for a long term contract . Or a crusty old veteran like Malthouse who is desperate to keep going.
Not many say " Yeah Ok, ill do it for a couple of yrs but then you'll have to get somebody else" o_O

AFL commentary is at an all time low at the moment.

In the only free to air game today we got Basil, a radio level play by play caller and not good enough to be in his spot, Hamish, a mega flog full of lame references who clearly isn't a natural play by play caller, and Leigh Matthews, who usually does an ok job but was absolutely appalling and ridiculously bitter towards St Kilda/Paddy for no good reason today.

Most of the other 'expert' comments guys are either ultra negative like Gerard Healy, huge flogs like Dermott and Luke Darcy (who 7 are inexplicably using as a play by play caller), or like you said, guys who's level of knowledge isn't good enough but they've got a job cause they're former players.

In fact it's not just commentators it's footy media in general. Muppets like Hutchy, Caro, Jon Ralph, Mark Stevens, etc would have no idea who Jack Sinclair or Blake Acres are, and like you said no clue about club's lists.

Rant over :mad:

Another poster mentioned Eddie, and I have to agree. Love him or hate him, he is an absolute professional. Would rather listen to Eddie than these clowns any day of the week. For starters he actually is passionate about the game he is commenting, and does his best to incite excitement for the viewer. Compare this to half the blokes described above who get distracted, ramble about nothing, have rubbish little inside jokes with each other, and stop giving a toss when the game is one sided or boring. If I had to list the worst 3, and believe me this was hotly contested I would throw in:

1: Darcy - Saints hater and just a flog of a bloke;
2: Healy - Also a Saints hater, way too negative;
3: BT - Absolutely clueless. Verbal diarrhea for 2 hours

Last edited:
Some credit to boydie

He was on this early in Jack's career but doesnt have the profile to get it going like you Plugger haha

I role with Jackie Moon for Steven

images

Another poster mentioned Eddie, and I have to agree. Love him or hate him, he is an absolute professional. Would rather listen to Eddie than these clowns any day of the week. For starters he actually is passionate about the game he is commenting, and does his best to incite excitement for the viewer. Compare this to half the blokes described above who get distracted, ramble about nothing, have rubbish little inside jokes with each other, and stop giving a toss when the game is one sided or boring. If I had to list the worst 3, and believe me this was hotly contested I would throw in:

1: Darcy - Saints hater and just a flog of a bloke;
2: Healy - Also a Saints hater, way too negative;
3: BT - Absolutely clueless. Verbal diarrhea for 2 hours

Disagree with point #2. Healy is a saints supporter and member.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back