Review Round 17: Swans vs Carlton - Match Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep pretty obvious now what he is doing Academies is the new COLA, creating a false campaign based on lies and bullshit to try and turn public perception.

Brandon jack must of got up eddies nose

Yep pretty obvious now what he is doing Academies is the new COLA, creating a false campaign based on lies and bullshit to try and turn public perception.

What a combination - Fox/Murdoch and Maguire - two of the biggest self-serving egotistical w***ers this country has to suffer.

Again, the current joy of watching our club prosper is simply enhanced by watching the inferior clubs whine and invent lures to sully our success. Losers.

Was really impressed with Reid throughout the game, does a lot of work off the footy very underrated in that area. Pyke was very good also, and Kennedy is just unbelievable. I am so glad we have Buddy on our side and also glad everyone else overlooked Parker. I love the way Lloyd goes about it and will only get better.

I thoughts Towers looked a dear in headlights and not up to this level, Reminded me on Sundqvist (sp?) debut years ago. He has pace and is a nice height but not sure he has what it takes. We will see, hopefully he learns from it.

For anyone still floatin around the 3rd quarters about to start on Fox Footy.

Is it true Eddie was going on about the academies in the fox aftergame lol?

Not in the previous context though. He didn't bring up Heeney, Mills or single us out when he spoke about it. Spent more time on a suggestion off the top of his head that the Suns and Giants sit out a draft because of the talent they have received than the academies. It was part of a discussion about the gulf in glass between the Saints and Demons of this world and the Swans, Cats and Hawks.

David King suggested being able to trade in season, on draft night and able to trade future draft picks and Eddie suggested that the equalisation model could be solved by the AFL enlarging the pot and not the clubs (that in itself was a bigger story) and threw in his Suns/Giants idea and spent 10 seconds on "Northern clubs academies which he supports, but other clubs need to talk about it and not himself even though he supports it".

Well one thing i agree GWS don't need any more draft picks! they have 27 first rounders and a number one pick playing in the NEAFL! not sure about the Suns list Saints i would imagine have a serious football culture where i reckon it would be hard to encourage any success just to much coach changes and offfield incidents it will take time.

Demons i have seen some very positive signs this year obviously with the young bodies they were never going to keep up that tackling/defensive pressure as the season winded down.

Well one thing i agree GWS don't need any more draft picks! they have 27 first rounders and a number one pick playing in the NEAFL! not sure about the Suns list Saints i would imagine have a serious football culture where i reckon it would be hard to encourage any success just to much coach changes and offfield incidents it will take time.

Demons i have seen some very positive signs this year obviously with the young bodies they were never going to keep up that tackling/defensive pressure as the season winded down.

He stressed it was off the top of his head and that he wasn't calling for it to happen. For a discussion on this subject between David King and Eddie, it was a fair discussion with no one pointing fingers at clubs saying "look at what they have extra". It was about stopping the cycle at Melbourne clubs who can't help themselves and not going back to priority draft picks and Eddie pointing at the successful clubs such as ourselves at how to rebuild quickly, while David King saying you need multiple 1st and 2nd Round draft picks to move up the ladder for the likes of the Saints and Demons. Hence why he suggested Draft day trading, in season trading and trading on future draft picks which are valid options to look at.

I thought Sam Reid was good last week as well, but this week was the best I have seen him play. Has always been able to take a nice mark and is a reasonable kick, but he is now having a greater presence in general play tackling, spoiling etc He looks to be enjoying himself too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a game. 5 minutes into the third quarter we're a couple goals up. I go to the toilet and then buy a round, I come back and after we kick a goal I look up at the scoreboard and we're 50 points up!

The third quarter was a truly amazing display. I think the last time I saw a quarter like that from the swans was about fifteen years ago at the scg against the crows. Having said that, we did get a very good run from the umpires that quarter which opened the game up a bit more and then boom.

Re towers - ran some nice patterns and attacked the ball in contests. I think, like Rohan and bj before him, it is a very hard position to play for the swans because buddy and Reid draw so much of the ball. They don't lower their eyes to look for the hff but expect him to stay wide of the contest and then belt back to the drop of the ball and equally to allow minimal get outs through their man. The way Rohan played off half back in terms of impacting the contest and running forwards with the ball shows how much easier it is to play behind the ball rather than in front at the swans. Having said that he really should have kicked his goal and had he stayed on his feet rather than slipped turning on the fifty he may have kicked a goal to give him some confidence.

The defense looked solid all night, although disposal was terrible in the first half. The blues field kicking at times was better than ours making their leads look very good. But really our back six played very well.

It was a good night and game and am looking forward to the next game at the mcg

More broadly the hawks showed against the crows on Friday night just what an amazingly good club they have. I reckon they are close to eight players short of their best 22 and they still went away and had they kicked straight could have just belted the crows. They will be a really good test for this team.

What a game. 5 minutes into the third quarter we're a couple goals up. I go to the toilet and then buy a round, I come back and after we kick a goal I look up at the scoreboard and we're 50 points up!

That third quarter would have been worth peeing down your trouser leg for it was that good, Im watching it again right now it wasn't just the Buddy show everyone was firing we were red hot.

Who was Cunningham playing on? Fanfooty says Murphy, hopefully for his sake that isn't true.
Why? Murphy had a true Cotchin of a game. Plenty of touches... zero impact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back