Round 17 - Sydney v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

If you're a player under 30 and you're only being offered a one year contract it's very clear the club doesn't care if you stay or go. It's basically saying "We'll keep you if no one else doesn't want you, but if someone wants to take you off our hands, great."

The revisionist history about Kennedy, McGlynn, Mumford, Richards, etc is ridiculous. Stop acting like your clubs really cared about keeping them, because it's not true. One day when I have the time and can be bothered I'm going to go and drag up all the articles and posts about those pick ups and I bet no one will act as if they were great pick ups.
It is pretty well known that Geelong wanted to keep Mumford but couldn't match the financial offer made by Sydney.

If you're a player under 30 and you're only being offered a one year contract it's very clear the club doesn't care if you stay or go. It's basically saying "We'll keep you if no one else wants you, but if someone wants to take you off our hands, great."

Not at all, in fact our captain accepted one year deals prior to turning 30. You don't know what you're talking about.

On behalf of fans of other teams, please have our sympathies - you don't deserve what some of your players have offered up tonight.

Thanks.
I don't know about other Carlton supporters, but i've turned to my beer fridge.

Great fightback by Buddy after being 30+ points down. Actually hit the front early in the fourth but couldn't hang on. Blues by 13 in the end. Would watch again.

It's ok just looked it up. I was at that match but my recollection was that we were flogged from the get go. Anyways that loss is completely understandable considering we had Bret Bailey in our team that day ;):p

Dunstall got 11 or 12 if I recall correctly.

It is pretty well known that Geelong wanted to keep Mumford but couldn't match the financial offer made by Sydney.

The reputed $300k x 3 years
Where was all your cap spent?

Also playing Blake over Mumford showed where he stood in the pecking order

Offering him first ruck played no part in his decision??

If Dale Thomas was called John Doe, everyone would ask for him to be dropped. Even half his current salary is too much for his output. Doesn't look like he's going to get anywhere near his best anytime soon, if ever.
Put a fork in him he's cooked can't even kick 40m anymore it's a shame was a good player before the ankle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are the Swans the most joyless team in the AFL?

I went to Sydney-Port game a few weeks back and saw them beat the Power in front of a near full house at the SCG and was struck by the lack of atmosphere and passion among the crowd.

With all the marquee players the Swans have got and the benefits of the COLA that they enjoy, do Sydney theatregoer supporters just think they're a walk up start to win and is it all a bit boring and ho hum for them?

Is another Sydney flag necessarily a good thing for football? To me, it's got a rigged, contrived feel about it, a bit like the World Cup.

How about we just rename all game day threads involving Sydney to "Hawks supporters sook about everything". Barely any discussion on the game at all.

All the Hawks supporters said was that McGlynn and Kennedy weren't rejects. Which they weren't.

Swans supporters need to remove the chip to be honest. It's getting tiresome.

Great to see Buddy dominate another one. :thumbsu:

Micks presser will just be " I hate Lingy, and Sydney are a very very very very very very very very good football side. "

They just picked Mark Blake ahead of him in the Grand Final!

Until they were basically wiped out by the sub rule, The old 'second ruckman wants to be first ruckman so he moves club' was the most common player movement in the league.

The thing about those pick ups, is I'm not even saying that it was not wrong to think that. No one expected Josh Kennedy to be as good as he is. McGlynn hit a wall at Hawthorn, Mark Blake was getting picked above Mumford. Ted Richards couldn't get a game at Essendon. Shaw was a whipping boy at Collingwood.

What annoys me is the revisionist history to try and create the narrative that the Swans had always been going out and poaching gun players thanks to our COLA. It's stupid and completely ignores history. I can't think of a single (at the time) gun recruit we got from say, getting Nick Davis in 2002 to Tippett in 2013. A 32 year old Spider Everitt? A behind Jeff White Darren Jolly?

All the Hawks supporters said was that McGlynn and Kennedy weren't rejects. Which they weren't.

Swans supporters need to remove the chip to be honest. It's getting tiresome.

Great to see Buddy dominate another one. :thumbsu:
Look through the rest of the thread well before any of that. I don't think you'll find its us that need to remove the chip.

In fact look through the first 25 posts of the thread and you'll already see 2 COLA references from Hawthorn posters.

Thanks.
I don't know about other Carlton supporters, but i've turned to my beer fridge.

Mine has been empty since about the start of your game - wine rack is now getting decimated.

In about 15 mins i'll be looking for a forgotten bottle of absinthe somewhere in my garage....

WOW! blaming all this on the umps.. complete ignoramus mate..
The ignorance is all yours, games are decided by free kick tallies and endurance running not skill/class. The ability to play the sport is no longer a requirement for winning an AFL flag, just learn how to draw free kicks & run hard all day and you will win 9/10 games you play regardless of any other fact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back