Review Round 18, 2014 - Frankston v Box Hill Hawks, 10 August 2014, 2.00pm @ Frankston Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Goals to Hallahan (thanks to a 50m penalty) and TOB.
Made him earn it. Worth 5 goals in this game. 50m would probably have been paid 50% of the time do a little fortuitous.

We're fortunate Frankston didn't kick straight early. Only 8 points in it. Sewell hasn't set the world in fire but been respectable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Woody was like a little fox terrier nipping ankles as in he was always contesting and leaving no easy gets for his opponents. Love his work & his 2nd & 3rd efforts.

As expected Litherland did not play and all three emergencies did.

A typical winters day down at Frankston. The wind was blowing a Gale and there spurts of rain right throughout the day. A typical day of winter footy. A hard tough slog. Not for the faint hearted and definitely not for the timid. Box Hill who have been out of form recently were up against a determined Frankston side who tackled hard all day.

I'm not making excuses for them but I feel they have been unsettled by the large number of players going in and out of the side. There seems to be no continuity week to week. This may be easily handled at AFL level but not so at this level. That being said they will need to get their s**t together and they have two weeks to do it because finals start after that. Today was a good start. They needed to win that and they did in tough conditions.

The game as i saw it from out hawthorn listed players

Heatherley: Showed that he had been away from football and found it a bit hard to get upto speed in the first half. Got caught out on the lead several times. Got better as the game went on. Will need to improve on that showing given what's coming.

Brand: Had a so so day did some nice things but has lost form over the last couple of weeks. Getting tired as the season wears on. Not unexpected but will need to lift.

Kelly: Hard to place this kid a lot of what he does is outstanding. Reads the play really well and did get a lot of the ball in the first half. Drifted out of the game a bit.

Bocca: Once again lifted in the last qtr when the game was on the line. Took marks inside defensive 50 wasn't as effective as last week still in our best.

Wanganeen: Similar to last week drifted in and out of the game. Was tackling hard and providing run. Nothing outstanding but a soldier.

Willsmore: This kid shows some real class by foot. Was by himself for a lot of the game which also meant that so was his opponent. It was in that 3rd qtr where he got found out a bit. Picked up his work rate in the last.

Ross: I think he was tagging someone today didn't really have much of an effect on the game.

Hallahan: I thought he might be released today to play a more outside role and i was right. WIth sewell and Woody on the inside hallahan got a lot of the ball on the outside. He looked good in patches. Alas he lacks that yard of pace to be really effective. Point in question was when he was running into goal box hill going coast to coast handball over the top to hallahan now if breust had got that handball it would have been good night but hallahan just didn't have the wheels or the awareness to make anything of it got caught and we turned the ball over. Don't get me wrong he was great today but its that extra yard of pace that is currently keeping him out of the Hawthorn side.

Grimmers: Had a tough day at the office. Wa being held a lot of the ball but you've got to learn to deal with that. Battled away without really being that effective.

O'Brien: Well what can you say took around 10-12 marks today two or 3 pack marks and under the conditions it was exceptional performance from OB today. Showed why he has the number 23 today alot to look forward to. Still gets pushed out easily in contests but was the best forward out on the ground today.

Ceglar: Was the best big man on the ground took some marks around the ground and kicked atleast one goal. He was solid all day had some good taps to advantage including one exquisite knock to illes.

Lowden: The big fella battled manfully all day played and tackled hard. Kicked a good goal off the ground. Once gain handed off a set shot he should have taken. Have confidence in yourself mate take the set shot.

Sewell: Was rested in the last. Played well enough without being outstanding. Played his best in the 3rd early was instrumental in our goals early. I am not sure he is quite ready but then again what do i know. I thought he would play against melbourne this week.

Woody: Great around the ball got it often enough tackled hard. Tried to do too much at times today and turned it over as a result. What do i mean by this here is an example. Woody got the ball on the half back line running up the field he had 3 box hill players against 1 frankston 30-40 meters in front of him. He should have either hand balled or kicked it short to one of those options but decided to get around the guy that was confronting (great play) but then do the wrong thing by kicking it as long as he could where he turned it over to frankston players who had numbers back. He also held onto the ball trying to break tackle after tackle he got through one, two and got done by the third could have handballed after the getting past the first and even after the second held on too long. Good game by the young fella. It could have been great if he didn't try to make the perfect play quite a few times. Its one of those things young players face when they come back to VFL level filled with confidence having played in the firsts.

Once again young Luke Andrews was outstanding especially in the last. He is in some really good form at the moment. Illes was also much better than what he was last week and Tobin provided on of the highlights of the day by kicking the goal of the day.

Box Hill Hawks

Best Players: , K. Cheney , M. Hallahan , J. Ceglar , T. O''Brien , J. Kelly , D. Mirra

These two in the best. Haters come at me!

Surprise Surprise Mitchy finds some form a) in tough conditions and b) when there's midfield support around him.
Mate mitch played well today. You wont get any arguments from me. He just lacks pace which would make him irresistable. Last week i saw his tagger just hang off him wait for him to get the ball and immediately tackle him. He just doesn't have that break away speed or awareness or nous to be affective at this stage. He struggled last week with a heavy tag. As i mentioned in my wrap he was one of our best playing outside.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back