Review Round 18, 2015: Geelong v Box Hill Hawks 15 August 2015, 11am @ Skilled Stadium (Kardinia Park)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Box Hill Hawks take on Geelong down at the cattery on Saturday at 11am.

I had planned to organise a bit of a pub crawl/ lunch after the game but may not be able to get down now. Will keep you all posted.

Preview, teams & forecast shall follow later in the week.

ANDERSON BACKS HAWKS’ DEFENCE

CMG_5MbUwAAB0SR.jpg
Photo: Jenny Owens

Michael Jones News 11.August 2015
The Box Hill Hawks have the best defensive record in the VFL heading into Round 18 – conceding less than 10 goals in each of their past four matches.

Hawks’ assistant and defensive coach Stuart Anderson attributes the club’s impressive back-line to the player’s self-belief and discipline.

“The main thing we tell the players is to back themselves and to have belief in the structures regardless of the situation,” he said.

A pre-season poll on Box Hill’s website revealed that the majority of supporters wanted to see a stronger defensive system – it looks as though they may have gotten their wish with Anderson at the helm.

After playing football for both North Melbourne and Fremantle, Anderson became the development coach at Gippsland Power.

He joined the Box Hill Hawks in season 2015 and is adamant that the club’s alliance with Hawthorn has not been an obstacle for maintaining continuity within the defensive unit.

“I spend two days a week at Hawthorn so I am able to build my own relationships with those players… this allows me to know what they are like when they come into Box Hill’s squad,” he said.

Players like Sam Collins and Kurt Heatherley have been key components to Box Hill’s defensive unit over the past month – both seem to be prospering under the leadership of their captain and fellow defender in David Mirra.

“We have strong communication and rely on each player to apply as much pressure as possible when the opposition has the ball,” said Mirra.

Anderson’s defensive unit has so far been able to successfully negate opposing attacks and is effective in beginning the club’s rebound scores.

Box Hill and Stuart Anderson will be hoping to keep the Hawks’ defensive record intact when the squad travels to Geelong this Saturday.

Defence a focus for consistent Willsmore
Nick Duxson August 13, 2015 11:15 AM
1_V08BHPM15GD0027.JPG

Second-year Hawk Dallas Willsmore has been a consistent contributor at VFL level this season.

CONTINUING to develop the ability to play multiple positions has been a key focus for second-year Hawk Dallas Willsmore this season.

The 20-year-old has been a consistent contributor at VFL level for Box Hill Hawks in 2015 and has impressed the coaches with his ability to play a variety of roles.

Willsmore has been just one of four players to have played all 15 games at VFL senior level in 2015, and said he had been pretty happy with his year to date.

“I think I’ve had a more consistent year this year, playing numerous roles,” he said.

“I’ve played half-forward, on a wing and half-back and am getting my hands on the footy and working on my defensive actions.

“I’ve probably improved my versatility – playing that wing and half-back role, where I was playing mainly half-forward last year.”

The 191-centimetre utility was recruited by the Hawks with pick 17 in the 2014 Rookie Draft, and spent a year on the rookie list before being promoted to the senior list this season.

He has put an emphasis on developing the defensive side of his game – “tackling and being hard at the contest” – this season.

“I need to work on my inside footy – my outside footy has been pretty good this year – but my inside footy and (winning) contested footy is something I’m continuing to work on,” Willsmore said.

“I’ve tried to (be consistent). I just need to keep working on my defensive actions and I’d like to get on the scoreboard a bit more often.”

Willsmore is “pretty happy” with where his football is at, and hopes if he keeps doing the right things at VFL level he can push for an AFL debut in the latter stages of 2015.

Outside of football, the up-and-coming Hawk is studying a diploma of business at the club, alongside teammates including Jarryd Roughead, James Sicily and Jonathan O’Rourke.

Willsmore enjoys the opportunity to head home to Underbool in north-west Victoria – but it’s tough to head home all the time when home is a 500-kilometre drive from Melbourne.

His junior football club is currently in merger talks with long-time rival Ouyen United – which is a 50-kilometre drive from Underbool – for when the five-team Mallee league ceases to operate at the end of this season.

“I’ve been back a couple of times this year, it’s always good to get home and see everywhere, see the family and the community,” he said.

Geelong vs. Box Hill Hawks
Saturday, Aug 15
Simonds Stadium at 11.00am

Box Hill Hawks Seniors:

B Heatherley Mirra Duryea
HB Miles Litherland Willsmore
C Whitecross Simpkin Lock
HF Schoenmakers Anderson Lawlor
F O'Brien Grimley Tatupu
R Pittonet Iles W. Langford

Int From:
Williams Gordon Exon
S. Gibson Fisher Collins
Jones* O'Donnell Evans

Frankston vs. Box Hill Hawks
Sunday, Aug 16
Frankston Oval at 11.00am

Box Hill Hawks Development squad:

B Bond Gordon Crocker
HB S. Gibson Fisher Walker
C L. Langford O'Donnell M-Lewis
HF
Tobin Traynor Exon
F Switkowski Summers Williams
R Z. Monkhorst Evans Hardisty

Int From:
Kidd Soccio Burt Murphy
Franetic Vizzarri Dimasi
Sheridan-Ferrie Graham
Sullivan Pell Sandric
Stewart

I've been looking forward to this game all year. My kids love VFL and the trip to BHCO is about 2 hours from my place, which makes it a long day so I've only made the trek there once. I can't wait to see Shem in particular and I'll also have an eye on Jed and Kurt (in between breaking up fights between the kids).

I've been looking forward to this game all year. My kids love VFL and the trip to BHCO is about 2 hours from my place, which makes it a long day so I've only made the trek there once. I can't wait to see Shem in particular and I'll also have an eye on Jed and Kurt (in between breaking up fights between the kids).

The game is in Geelong M8.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did I hear this game is on the tele?

Not according to the VFL web-site.

Footscray and Port Melbourne will meet in the Channel 7 broadcast game Saturday at midday, while Northern Blues and Sandringham will be the video stream game on Sunday at 2pm.

Not according to the VFL web-site.

Footscray and Port Melbourne will meet in the Channel 7 broadcast game Saturday at midday, while Northern Blues and Sandringham will be the video stream game on Sunday at 2pm.

Fair enough. I don't even know where I heard that but whatever

Miles accustomed to life as a Hawk
Nick Duxson August 14, 2015 4:30 PM
360275_np.jpg

Teia Miles in action for the Hawks during the 2015 NAB Challenge.

FOOTY, footy, footy.

It’s what Teia Miles expected life as a full-time footballer would be like – and he hasn’t been disappointed.

The 18-year-old was drafted with pick 49 in the 2014 AFL Draft and is enjoying life as a Hawk.

“It’s been an exciting year, my first year at the Hawks,” Miles said.

“It’s pretty much what I expected.

“Pre-season was a different journey to what I had ever experienced – it was a hard pre-season.

“As the year’s gone on, it’s been footy, footy, footy and you’ve got to be switched on all the time… you’ve got to be ready to go and you’ve got to be ready to back it up week in, week out.”

Miles has played a variety of roles at VFL level for Box Hill Hawks and has been focusing on contributing consistently to the team.

“I started the year off pretty well and have been reasonably happy (so far),” Miles said.

“I tore a ligament in my ankle about a month ago, so that set me back a little bit, but I’m just trying to find a bit of form now heading towards the finals.

“We’re on top of the ladder and playing well, so hopefully we can play into the deep end of the finals and see how we go.”

The first-year Hawk has played 14 of a possible 15 games, and the 180-centimetre utility has impressed Box Hill Hawks Coach Marco Bello.

“Teia’s travelling really well, he’s doing everything that’s asked of him,” Bello said.

“He’s not the biggest man out there, but he doesn’t let that play a part in the way he goes about it.

“He attacks the footy hard, he wins a lot of contests and when he gets the ball in his hands he’s an elite user of the football and makes smart decisions.”

Miles, who was named as an AFL emergency earlier this year, names experienced Hawks Isaac Smith and Sam Mitchell as two players he has learned from this season.

Originally from Barwon Heads, Miles currently lives with a host family in Melbourne alongside fellow first-year Hawk Jared Hardisty.

Outside of football, he’s completing a SportsReady course alongside a number of the club’s first-year players.

But his first focus is on playing “good, consistent footy” – and he will have that opportunity again this Saturday, when Box Hill Hawks take on Geelong on Simonds Stadium at 11am.

- See more at: http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2015-08-14/consistency-drives-miles#sthash.5887xIqI.dpuf

East
East Sport News

Patty Lawlor’s season on fast forward after career-best game for Box Hill
  • by: Megan Hustwaite
  • August 13, 2015 3:00PM

124969-c387b1cc-3f1a-11e5-aee4-367c73406707.jpg

Patty Lawlor celebrates one of two goals against Richmond in Round 16. Picture Stuart Walmsley. Source: News Corp Australia

PATTY Lawlor feels a little more relaxed than usual.

The Box Hill Hawk is often a bit uneasy when it comes to VFL selection, but not this week following a career-best performance, of four goals, 25 possessions, 14 marks and six tackles, against the Casey Scorpions last round.

“Most weeks it’s a bit up in the air and you’re sort of worried all week whether you’ll be playing or not,’’ he said.

“I guess it’s good now, I know this week I should be playing. I’ve got a bit of calmness about me which is nice.

“Sunday was one of those days where I kept running and the ball kept coming to me, I was just really lucky and then to get the win was even better. I do a lot of outside running up and down the wings and in the half forward sort of range and it was a day where things clicked and I got a bit of reward for effort which was really nice.’’

story-fngnvmqa-1227482128051

The Eastern Ranges graduate is in his fourth year at Box Hill and has notched up 11 senior games this season. Life as a fringe player at a VFL club with an AFL alignment, and one as successful and strong as the Hawks, can be tough and stressful.

“It is actually quite painful some weeks, you just want to know straight away if you’re in or out,’’ he said.

“Marco (coach Marco Bello) doesn’t find out our side until late but you sort of have a gist of if you’re on the edge or not. Some weeks you get lucky and some weeks you get unlucky with numbers coming back from Hawthorn and what not.

“When I go back down and play in the twos there’s a really good bunch of guys playing at Box Hill so I do enjoy playing footy either side I’m in, which is good.

“We’ve got a lot of good players who play Development every week so there’s a lot of people in the same boat trying to get a game. While we can be disappointed, we always go out there with the right attitude and that’s what’s led to the Development team being undefeated this year which is awesome.’’

126836-bdedec72-3f1a-11e5-aee4-367c73406707.jpg

Lawlor on his way to a best-on-ground performance against the Scorpions last week. Picture: Janine Eastgate. Source: News Corp Australia

The versatile 22-year-old had contemplated moving to another VFL club but loves the tight-knit feel and his mates at Box Hill City Oval.

A pre-season chat with Bello left him reinvigorated about 2015.

“I had a really good meeting with him and we sort of nutted out a spot for me,’’ he said.

“I’ve always played backline mostly, but sometimes I’ve gone up on to a wing and sometimes I’ve played forward. It was just about finding that actual position for me and we thought we’d give it a crack up forward.

“I’ve never really played forward and thought it’d be a good challenge to learn every line of the game. It’s worked mainly so far this season, I’ve played three development games and the rest seniors so it’s pretty successful so far and I’m enjoying it.’’

Bello describes Lawlor as a workhorse with GPS data that puts him right up there with the elite runners like Isaac Smith and Bradley Hill.’ Lawlor has worked hard on ‘running smarter’ and improving angles and patterns and it’s paying off as evident against the Scorpions.

His focus now is on some September action. He and the gritty Mitch O’Donnell played in the 2013 qualifying-final win over Williamstown but with an influx of AFL players, Lawlor was dropped for the preliminary final then O’Donnell for the grand final.

The pair watched on as the Hawks claimed the flag with an emphatic win over Geelong and were side-by-side again in the stands last year when the Hawks fell short against eventual premiers Footscray.

“I’ve had to watch the last two grand finals at Etihad where I missed out, that’s my goal this year I just want to play in a grand final really. It would be incredible,’’ Lawlor said.

“Obviously the pinnacle is AFL, but the second best is the VFL and if you can get to the top of that it would be absolutely incredible.’’

Remove this Banner Ad

Back