Opinion Round 18 Changes vs. GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Sick of Tabs being dropped, how does MDB keep getting a game? Clancee omitted too, not injured... too many dropped sitters last week

MDB and Tabs different players. Tabs is not winning us matches at the moment, and is pretty much a passenger with the occasional good thing. MDB is, IMO, one of the old style hard players that does these little things that I respect and love the bloke for. He may miss a kick or two, or miss a goal here or there. Tabs takes one mark here or there, and also misses some shots - he is a work in progress and he is NOT competing with MDB. He is competing to hold a KP forward role - one that he shows glimpses of and barely sighted in most quarters.

Don't get me wrong - I love Tabs, but he needs some form, and the WAFL is the place to get it. I love MDB as he is one bloke that runs in straight lines and never shirks a contest. His skill level is the question and I agree with that is the reason he is on the fringe.

It's all about the experience of being a part of the team. The emergency effectively goes through the same preparation that the 22 do. They get to learn and see the routine first hand.

Really a minor thing.

End of day experience of playing is the greatest benefit. From there it also flows into to prep of body during week for afl standard footy.

MDB and Tabs different players. Tabs is not winning us matches at the moment, and is pretty much a passenger with the occasional good thing. MDB is, IMO, one of the old style hard players that does these little things that I respect and love the bloke for. He may miss a kick or two, or miss a goal here or there. Tabs takes one mark here or there, and also misses some shots - he is a work in progress and he is NOT competing with MDB. He is competing to hold a KP forward role - one that he shows glimpses of and barely sighted in most quarters.

Don't get me wrong - I love Tabs, but he needs some form, and the WAFL is the place to get it. I love MDB as he is one bloke that runs in straight lines and never shirks a contest. His skill level is the question and I agree with that is the reason he is on the fringe.
I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't comparing tabs and mdb and it's pretty obvious they're different types of players sherlock: one is a developing key forward who rarely gets a run of games to get any confidence and the other is a pressure applying mid/fwd that has dropped off since 2012,13 and doesn't look like getting any better. Our fwd line just looks better with tabs in it, if anything it just takes a little bit of attention off pav.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow! I wasn't expecting such a shake up, to be honest. It's interesting we've named Langdon, Blakely, and Weller over Grey, who seems to be a bit stiff not to be in line for a call up considering he's been a pretty consistent most of the year. I wonder whether any of the young ones will be named, or if they're just being made token emergencies as reward for effort.

I am inclined to think at least one of them will debut as our named emergencies usually consist on one tall and two mids. We've already dropped one tall, so it will either be Clarke to come in as straight swap for Tabs or Dawson to come in and Pearce to swing forward (this seems less likely), or Dawson to come in for Clancee and some re-jigging of roles in the midfield, half-back. We'll be down an inside mid, so if Barlow will plays more in and under, one of Weller or Langdon could play the link up role he's been playing most of the year.

Can't wait for the final squads.

I guess what I was trying to say is that I don't think tabs should be dropped and that I think mdb should. Regardless of where they play. We need more skill, surely one of these young blokes tearing it up in the wafl wouldn't offer much less than mdb at the moment. Who's gonna replace tabs? Clarke has been just as crap this season and probably worse (also isn't a running key fwd), yet to see if AP will be tried in his place...

Agreed. Weller appears to have been in contention for a little longer than the others so I'll say him.

Weller was average against the black ducks.Had his pants pulled down by a young Clontarf kid. Blakely had three really good quarters.Quiet in the third though.
Langdon also didn't follow up his good game the previous week.

Taberner out is unfortunate but he really needs to clunk a few contested marks.

Not sure what more he is expected to do. Took 4 marks included a big contested one that led to a goal in the last match, then was subbed off at half time.

Would have been a perfect opportunity to drop PearceD and give somebody else a chance to stake a claim. Obviously Ross is going to stick by him and let him burn us in the finals series again.
I know you love stats so out of 25 ranked players Danyle Pearce averages are:
13th for Disposal efficiency, ahead of Hill, Pavlich, Walters, Mundy
8th for contested possessions, behind Sandi and the inside mids
3rd for uncontested possessions, BEHIND only Hill and Neale.
11th for goals per game (I concede this should be higher)
1st for i50s, ahead of, well everyone duh.
10th for tackles (I'd like a few more).

Everyone lauds Hill (and I think he's great too) but Hill gets more uncontested ball AND has a lower DE% than Pearce, yet Pearce is the focus of constant ridicule for the errors in his game (and they are there). For what his job is to do, he obviously (by not missing a game in 3 seasons) does it well enough to satisfy the match committee.

So with that.

Out: Pearce. :rolleyes:

I know you love stats so out of 25 ranked players Danyle Pearce averages are:
13th for Disposal efficiency, ahead of Hill, Pavlich, Walters, Mundy
8th for contested possessions, behind Sandi and the inside mids
3rd for uncontested possessions, BEHIND only Hill and Neale.
11th for goals per game (I concede this should be higher)
1st for i50s, ahead of, well everyone duh.
10th for tackles (I'd like a few more).

Everyone lauds Hill (and I think he's great too) but Hill gets more uncontested ball AND has a lower DE% than Pearce, yet Pearce is the focus of constant ridicule for the errors in his game (and they are there). For what his job is to do, he obviously (by not missing a game in 3 seasons) does it well enough to satisfy the match committee.

So with that.

Out: Pearce. :rolleyes:
0y5d8d.jpg

I use one set of stats and everybody falls to pieces. You forgot to use his #1 stat - turnovers.

He was good early in the year but has reverted to his old ways. Trust your eyes, Danyle is killing us and we can't afford him doing that at the pointy end.

For the Giants to win this game they need to get their matchups right, but have been given little in terms of what the final make up of our backs, mids and forwards will be. And not simply fringe players, but core players such as the#1 ruck, Dawson, KPF. Very difficult for them to plan for.

For the Giants to win this game they need to get their matchups right, but have been given little in terms of what the final make up of our backs, mids and forwards will be. And not simply fringe players, but core players such as the#1 ruck, Dawson, KPF. Very difficult for them to plan for.
This is why Ross does what he does... but apparently we know better :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back