Opinion Round 18 Changes vs. GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Or Lachie Neale. Having Suban in there is essentially resorting back to having Crowley in the centre

Yep. Although Suban isn't as fumbly as Crowley, he isn't exactly a clearance machine either. He doesn't seem to have the ability to move the ball on quickly, so when he does get it, it usually results in another stoppage or him getting pinged for holding.

Yep. Although Suban isn't as fumbly as Crowley, he isn't exactly a clearance machine either. He doesn't seem to have the ability to move the ball on quickly, so when he does get it, it usually results in another stoppage or him getting pinged for holding.
That 1% of the time that he does get the ball onto the boot fast and it goes to a team mate it is a grass burning rocket. I remember Suban hitting a pack, kicking the ball straight off the grass and it going lace out onto the leading forward.

A dozen glimpses, more and more his delivery inside fifty from transition is looking better and better. If he was a touch faster I'd like him full outside.

Or Lachie Neale. Having Suban in there is essentially resorting back to having Crowley in the centre
This exactly. It's why I actually think Crowley may have a shot at coming back in this year. He'd be better in there than Suban at least the opposition player would know about it.
It's why I prefer Mzungu in the side as well, I think he is a better reader of the game whilst it's going and takes calculated risks defending and attacking that have more reward.

That 1% of the time that he does get the ball onto the boot fast and it goes to a team mate it is a grass burning rocket. I remember Suban hitting a pack, kicking the ball straight off the grass and it going lace out onto the leading forward.

A dozen glimpses, more and more his delivery inside fifty from transition is looking better and better. If he was a touch faster I'd like him full outside.
If a kick off the deck works it is pretty much a fluke. Don't disagree that he is getting better but not the best example.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

If a kick off the deck works it is pretty much a fluke. Don't disagree that he is getting better but not the best example.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
That wasn't even this year :)

I expect him to kick a direct and flat kick inside fifty when running in space now, Danyle Pearce I don't expect to hit the target.

Nah, Clancee is in the mix is what Lyon said, I believe. He was pretty ordinary before he got injured. Would be happy to see Grey in his place. Or Duffield (maybe, is one good quarter enough?)

Edit: just read Coulda's report that Grey is sore. It was his back last year. Bugger.
He finished the game out though. For what it is worth Im tipping it will be Dawson for Clancee, with no other changes. I still think Grey's kicking skills will be exposed at senior level, but Id be massively happy if proven wrong. If he plays id like them to play Grey in a lockdown role on a half forward type like Devon Smith.

You carry some players even when they can't lift their arm above their head. Not sure Clancee is in that class though. He'll miss surely

Are you sure that's correct. It's says 0mm rain. That can't be right, because Freo are playing
Still plenty of time for the forecast to change. Cold front moves through a little slower and we can still get rain on Sunday. We might even get an isolated pocket of rain like Wile E Coyote sometimes gets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll be the first to put my hand up and say I'm not the biggest Suban fan but who comes in to replace.
  • Gu, not his best game on the weekend
  • Duffield, likewise and not a like for like replacement
  • Weller, not an inside type
  • Blakely, best like for like replacement, based on the weekend
  • Grey, tough enough but still finding his way as a mid.
  • Langdon, not an inside type
Are any of them a material improvement? I would argue, in general yes but as a like for like replacement no. So if he is out and we reshuffle to fill his role. C Pearce and deBoer are the only likely people. C Pearce may not get up at all and deBoer IMHO is not an upgrade. But moving deBoer would allow a HFF player in. Duffy is the best of them and he has been injured so unlikely.

So Suban out? IMHO no chance.
C Pearce out
Dawson in.

How did MDB only have 5 handballs, 1 mark and give away 3 frees in like a qtr and a half of football? He would have had fresh legs too. Not 1 tackle? Maybe he is just not suited to the sub role but that is not good enough.

Tom Mitchell came on after 3 qtr time against WCE and had 10 possesions, 5 tackles and 0 frees against. (just an example of what a sub can do)

What is he offering the team at the moment? His best game going by numbers was against Collingwood but he was the sub the very next week (where he gave away 4 frees). As sad as it is I think it is time to give one of the new blokes a run.

MDB, Clancee out
2 of Grey, Blakely, Weller, Dawson (if required for structure) in

I don't think Lyon minds giving away frees. A free is a stopped play, takes time to be determined, can allow Freo to set their defence.

Think about holding the ball. If a player dives on the ball and a pack forms, then by the time the umpire does his dance, the pack breaks up and the ball is given to the correct player, your defence is set. That's better than a ball in open play you have no control over.

How did MDB only have 5 handballs, 1 mark and give away 3 frees in like a qtr and a half of football? He would have had fresh legs too. Not 1 tackle? Maybe he is just not suited to the sub role but that is not good enough.

Tom Mitchell came on after 3 qtr time against WCE and had 10 possesions, 5 tackles and 0 frees against. (just an example of what a sub can do)

What is he offering the team at the moment? His best game going by numbers was against Collingwood but he was the sub the very next week (where he gave away 4 frees). As sad as it is I think it is time to give one of the new blokes a run.

MDB, Clancee out
2 of Grey, Blakely, Weller, Dawson (if required for structure) in

De Boer played as sub earlier in the season, and performed very well. His aggression was just what we needed. The season has progressed and there are other options for selection, but this was clearly not a good game for de Boer.

I don't think Lyon minds giving away frees. A free is a stopped play, takes time to be determined, can allow Freo to set their defence.

Think about holding the ball. If a player dives on the ball and a pack forms, then by the time the umpire does his dance, the pack breaks up and the ball is given to the correct player, your defence is set. That's better than a ball in open play you have no control over.
Frees mean we're handing the ball straight back to the opposition, I don't think Ross likes this

Frees mean we're handing the ball straight back to the opposition, I don't think Ross likes this
Yeah it's definitely not the first thing you want, but if you want to slow down play it's preferable to the opposition having a fast possession in open play.

Hawthorn did it to Geelong in 2008.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back