Opinion Round 18 Changes vs. St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Fairly nervous now, Sandi, Ballas, Walters, Hill, Ibbotson.

Johnson looked bloody rusty out there last week, hopefully he doesn't turn the ball over 50% of the time this week.

This is one of the few times I haven't been nervous. Saints really are deplorable.

Our midfield is where it is with Freo. I'd be more nervous if Barlow and Fyfe were out over any other 5 person combination you could come up with.

Fremantle by 50+ in a waltz.

This is one of the few times I haven't been nervous. Saints really are deplorable.

Our midfield is where it is with Freo. I'd be more nervous if Barlow and Fyfe were out over any other 5 person combination you could come up with.

Fremantle by 50+ in a waltz.

Ha, this.

Sometimes I look at the team sheet and the outs and worry for a fleeting moment, then I look at the actual 22. We've got some combo of Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow, Crowley, Hill, Sandilands, Neale etc. in the middle. Then I rest easy.

I cannot believe that there would be anybody seriously worried about this game.

The saints score less on average than we concede! Let alone what we score...

I'd be amazed if they score more then 50.

If I was being conservative, I'm expecting a 110-50 type scoreline.

You have totally missed my point. He actually doesn't have to be in the top 35 to remain on the list next season. Infact he could be dropped off the list and then re-rookied., so he only has to be in the top 42 top players. My point is calling him a complete clown and most of your other comments have been over the top and that I think (it is not definite) but there is a chance the club will keep him to groom him to take over from Crowley when he retires. Players with his running ability do not grow on trees, so he might be retained to provide depth in our running/tagging department. I would also have him massively ahead of Hannath (a non jumpng ruckman) and Vandeleur (a player who appears totally disinterested) in terms of being retained. Bradley and gumby also appear near certainties to be de-listed. Your question about Crighton and MIchie is totally irrelevant. Would I prefer Menagola to tag a player than Crighton or Michie, absolutely and that is the role the club might see Menagola playing.

What's the point of keeping an elite running machine that doesn't know where to run too, or turns the ball over when he does get it .

Oh help me please you would Rookie him for a 6th year , on a maybe he will improve or IF Crowley retires ,what in 2 or 3 years time .

De Boer can play that role now and Grey would be a prime target to take that role within 2 years ,Neale has more football nous now and would give us a better return than Menengola will as long as he can pull on a pair of boots .Never mind that Ballard has shown more in one season than Melengola has in 5 years .

One week at a time and always respect your opponent lads. Brisbane looked pretty ordinary as well until Brown retired and North got stung by that. Hayes has been a fantastic player for St Kilda.

Certainly some interesting positional moves this week. I also would not be surprised to see Taberner and McPharlin switch at some time during the game to give Tabs both another chance in the forward line and also a close up view of Nick Reiwoldt as a running CHF.

Especially looking forward to Mora snagging his first goal since coming back.

I've never been a huge fan of arrogance, even when it comes from us simple fans who have no bearing on the outcome of the game.

But if there was ever a game to go into feeling supremely confident, it'd have to be this one. The saints are going through a bigger rebuilding stage then Dresden post WW2, and they've also been hurt with injuries to key players. We have arguably the best midfield in the comp, and the it's being played at Etihad, our second fortress. And we also have Pav...and The Cougar Dawson.

If Freo lose this, we may as well forfeit the rest of the season and donate our points to the Bulldogs (would love to see them win it).

What's the point of keeping an elite running machine that doesn't know where to run too, or turns the ball over when he does get it .

Oh help me please you would Rookie him for a 6th year , on a maybe he will improve or IF Crowley retires ,what in 2 or 3 years time .

De Boer can play that role now and Grey would be a prime target to take that role within 2 years ,Neale has more football nous now and would give us a better return than Menengola will as long as he can pull on a pair of boots .Never mind that Ballard has shown more in one season than Melengola has in 5 years .

Actually, De Boer has been exposed a couple of times playing as a primary tagger IMO. Notably when he played on Dangerfield awhile back, and Grey is a very, very long way off having the endurance to do the run with role at afl level. Ditto Ballard. You do realize Im only saying we might retain him, so stop with the over derogatory crap in your responses. At the end of the day by my account Menagola has actually done a fantastic job at tagging a prime WAFL player most weeks when I think about it.
If you can think of any time he has been beaten then post the game review, but I think the club will be more impressed that those who post he is 'deadest rubbish' here. Considering Menagola was for the first four years of his afl career a half forward I also think the club might be happy with the progress he has made in a new role. Perhaps that might be enough to keep him on the list, who knows. However, it seems pretty clear that the coaching committee rates Menagola higher than you do by a very long way.

Last edited:

Actually, De Boer has been exposed a couple of times playing as a primary tagger IMO notably when he played on Dangerfield awhile back, and Grey is a very, very long way off having the endurance to do the run with role. Ditto Ballard. You do realize Im only saying we might retain him, so stop with the over derogatory crap in your responses. At the end of the day by my account Menagola has actually done a fantastic job at tagging a prime WAFL player most weeks when I think about it.
If you can think of any time he has been beaten then post the game review, but I think the club will be more impressed that those who post he is 'deadest rubbish' here. Considering Menagola was for the first four years of his afl career a half forward I also think the club might be happy with the progress he has made in a new role. Perhaps that might be enough to keep him on the list, Like I said, it might make some of your posts look a bit silly, but it seems pretty clear that the coaching committee rates Menagola higher than you do by a very long way.

Just to back you up sherrif, think of Clint Jones at Saints. Quite similar in many resepects. Jones had deplorable skills really when compared to his peers at AFL level, barely useful at WAFL level I'd say, but he's got a good turn of speed, is reasonably strong in the body and, like Menegola, a massive tank and never let a hard running midfielder get away from him. RTB found a way of making him an integral part of a near premiership winning team.

I've said it above, I'm not convinced we'd keep him, but at the same time, the club see something in him that we may not, and that ability to wear a key opposition player down with hard running shouldn't be underestimated.

Last edited:

From all accounts I've heard Menegola has been doing his job as a tagger in the WAFL, that's what he's on the list to do and RTB won't roll out a 22 without one. Comparing Menegola to Neale or Ballard doesn't make any sense and you know it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez coulda... if you're going to misspell the bloke's name, at least misspell it the same way twice in the same post.

If they are grooming Menegola to be Crowley's replacement then it wouldn't surprise me to see him delisted then re-rookied this off season.

Having him on the main list while Crowls is still around would be a waste of a spot.

A friend of mine is a scout for a Melbourne based team here in WA. I trust his judgement on things like this... told me michie doesn't spread well and only runs one way, despite all the praise heaped on him here. So far he's on the money.

Anyway asked him about Menagola...his comments. Thinks he's pretty good last couple of time he's seen him, elite endurance, pace is good, skills ok not brilliant and not shite. Wasn't good defensively in the past but freo have greatly improved it.

Sounds just like quite a few of the Freo boys really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back