Review Round 18, Fremantle vs GWS Giants, Sunday August 2nd, 2.40pm AWST, Domain Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

For whats is worth guys, I reckon you're a significantly more talented outfit than this purple bag of pretenders.
They're well oiled machine, I'll give them that, but in terms of talent alone they're a middle of the road team at best.

With Fyfe, Bala and Johnson now all out and potentially more to be rested this game surely evens up a touch despite the awful record GWS holds in the west. Freo have absolutely no depth so the players they replace them with are very, very mediocre.

The midfields for mine now break even.
The GWS fwd line is significantly better and should pose many problems to an undersized and decimated Freo back line.
Backlines seemingly break even.

Hoping GWS show a lot more this time in perth, winning this certainly isn't out of the realms of possibility

Lol.

Freo will have some changes over there. I feel Fyfe may get rested. Had a problem with a corky that that idiot Mitchell purposely gave him in the hawks game

I also think an old head (Pav, Sandi or McPharlin) may have a rest as they have played every game so far

Biggest thing against this Freo side is the Giants forward line. There are a few injuries in freo's backline and McCarthy and Cameron will kick a few between them. If this happens we may see a Debut with Langdon, Blakey and Weller tearing up in the WAFL

If Sandilands plays and his taps are not nullified it's all over

Also Leon has to put some work into the "Freo blast" which is the first quarter fast starts. We havn't seen it for 7 weeks but it's dangerous if it rears it's head

Freo desperately need to win this to keep WC at bay so I don't expect them to take the giants lightly

However my boys over there have not been in great form so I think it will be closer than a lot if tipsters think

Freo by 30

Feel free to ask me any freo related questions this week guys
What exactly is the fremantle blast? I went looking for this and could find 18 goals spread over the last 7 games for first quarters.
Pretty ordinary really at a paltry average of 2.5 goals a quarter.
It seems everything but a blast.
Jeremy Cameron will have this on the board himself by 1/4 time.

What exactly is the fremantle blast? I went looking for this and could find 18 goals spread over the last 7 games for first quarters.
Pretty ordinary really at a paltry average of 2.5 goals a quarter.
It seems everything but a blast.
Jeremy Cameron will have this on the board himself by 1/4 time.
I am starting to think that you don't think much of Freo...

I am starting to think that you don't think much of Freo...
I just think they're horribly overrated and their list is extremely average.
On paper GWS should take this right up to them. Hoping Leon Cameron brings something different to their preparation and gets something out of them out west for once.

You're only as good as your last game, and by that measure we are not very good. Freo won a game and they should have lost, against a top 5 opponent and will have plenty to work on - complacency shouldn't be a problem for them.

We may have the most talented list in the competition but it's for naught if we fail to show up, and our history shows that we probably couldn't beat Peel if we played them at Subi. Maybe they are just well drilled and a bunch of old campaigners (I don't think they are) but as last week showed effort and systems trumps talent almost every time.

All that said I think we are a chance, but we're going to need an awful lot to go right, and our team needs to be chosen with the opponent in mind - dropping sunshine on form was a mistake when you see how structurally inept we were without him, especially against a well organised backline, and for the talent they'll missing in the back six you better believe they'll be structurally as solid.

You're only as good as your last game, and by that measure we are not very good. Freo won a game and they should have lost, against a top 5 opponent and will have plenty to work on - complacency shouldn't be a problem for them.

We may have the most talented list in the competition but it's for naught if we fail to show up, and our history shows that we probably couldn't beat Peel if we played them at Subi. Maybe they are just well drilled and a bunch of old campaigners (I don't think they are) but as last week showed effort and systems trumps talent almost every time.

All that said I think we are a chance, but we're going to need an awful lot to go right, and our team needs to be chosen with the opponent in mind - dropping sunshine on form was a mistake when you see how structurally inept we were without him, especially against a well organised backline, and for the talent they'll missing in the back six you better believe they'll be structurally as solid.

I agree with all of that and we lost our structure without Mccarthy but Cameron has to balance that with Mccarthys mental and physical well being.Its basically his first season so he probably just needed a week back in the reserves to freshen up.Should see a better performance from him this week than his last few in the seniors.Especially as its his home state

Can't believe you'd include D pearce in this?
He is the biggest hack to ever run onto a football field.
Never have I seen anyone butcher the ball and continually make terrible decisions when the heat is on. His efforts in the 13' GF were laughable. You should be glad he's lining up this week.

Be that as it may he's done pretty well against GWS in the past, which is why I imagine that poster included him. Nice vitriol though.

Shame Rhys Palmer will miss this, have loved what he's done for the Giants so far. Would Giants fans say he's a best 22 lock these days?

Be that as it may he's done pretty well against GWS in the past, which is why I imagine that poster included him. Nice vitriol though.

Shame Rhys Palmer will miss this, have loved what he's done for the Giants so far. Would Giants fans say he's a best 22 lock these days?
Best 22 yes.

FB: Nathan Wilson, Adam Tomlinson, Joel Patfull
HB: Toby Greene, Aidan Corr, Heath Shaw
C: Lachie Whitfield, Callan Ward, Adam Treloar
HF: Tom Scully, Jeremy Cameron, Ryan Griffen
FF: Jed Lamb, Rory Lobb, Josh Kelly
R: Tom Downie, Stephen Coniglio, Jack Steele

Interchange (from): Rhys Palmer, Andrew Phillips, Curtly Hampton, Phil Davis, James Stewart, Matt Buntine, Will Hoskin-Elliott

In: Nathan Wilson, Phil Davis, Andrew Phillips, James Stewart, Matt Buntine, Will Hoskin-Elliott
Out: Nick Haynes (groin), Devon Smith (knee), Zac Williams (hamstring)

Edit. This is a bit easier to read

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just think they're horribly overrated and their list is extremely average.
On paper GWS should take this right up to them. Hoping Leon Cameron brings something different to their preparation and gets something out of them out west for once.

Spose that's why we are top of the ladder, and beaten everyone bar Hawthorn, which was played in Tasmania.

I'm actually more confident that it will at least be more of a game than our previous encounters with Freo. The addition of Davis adds to our backline alot.
Puzzelled by the ommission of McCarthy but glad to see James Stewart named.

Breaking news: Daniel Pearce in doubt for Sunday's game.

Back luck GWS fans that's potentially 10 less clangers for Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back