malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
Watching Weller tackle yesterday I came to a conclusion that De Boer has 0% reason to be in the side any more. None. Zip.
I think you missed all the inside work that MDB did and some of the really fast handballs he delivered whilst being mobbed. Weller would be a pancake at the moment in that role.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
I watched that free he took after Griff was off with the blood rule

He tossed the ball about, dropped it, and I thought straight away he is over confident, he is in a too familiar comfort zone for mine

How did he miss that set shot, bang in front

So glad there is legit competition for spots

But he also hit Mayne lace out with a 50 metre pin point pass in the goal square that allowed Mayne to stroll in and kick a goal.

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
But he also hit Mayne lace out with a 50 metre pin point pass in the goal square that allowed Mayne to stroll in and kick a goal.
Yeah but that was just hoofing it long, any sense of urgency or necessity and he loses the plot.

DudleyDocker

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NE Patriots
Before I say this, let me preface it by saying no, I don't hate Ross, or the administration and I don't think the sky is falling. Oh, and yes, I know we are 15 and 2 and I'm LOVING that.

However... is it just me or does Luke MacPharlin almost always look backwards for his first option these days? This may be under instruction as we are undermanned in defense, but I remember the days when he would get the ball and make a dash down the corridor, similar to Michael Johnson.

Not saying the switch is not sometimes a good option, but we seem to swing the ball backward to little advantage quite often, even when there are available options forward of the play.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
He does, and the quality of his disposal has declined imo. If MJ and another experienced KPD were in the team MacPharlin would play differently, which we saw yesterday to some degree. Pearce has been awesome, but there is clearly an element of the defense that is "covering" for his inexperience.

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
Its fatigue.

Several forwards have said this repeatedly over the years as to why set shot kicking has not improved as the game went professional. Reiwoldt is one who has said this. He was deadly accurate as a teen, but started spraying them as a pro when he was asked to sprint all over the ground. He was often stuffed by the time he took his kick. With the 30 sec rule, you also don´t often have enough time to recover. Your anaerobic system needs at least 1 minute to recover after a sprint. Guys like Lockett, Dunstall etc just sat in the goal square and did a 30m sprint every now and then.

The notion that goalkicking hasn't improved over time or that it didn't improve when the game went professional is a myth.

http://www.matterofstats.com/mafl-s.../goalkicking-accuracy-across-the-seasons.html

I think the fatigue argument has merit in as to why goal-kicking hasn't improved further, and it will be interesting to see the Q2/3 stats for the 2010-2019 period when the sample size gets to the same level as the others.

But yeah, the goals/behinds difference is nearly as wide as it has even been and the 2000s were the most accurate decade on record.

Aug 29, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Glory
The 80 point smashing that wasn’t. In the second quarter, it felt like I was watching an attack vs. defence training session albeit with terrible finishing.

Agree with the comments on this board about the positives (the newbies, midfield without Fyfe, vintage Pav, Walters) and the negatives (sloppy sloppy skills, poor goal kicking).

Three plays of the day for me:
  1. Alex Pearce – a side step or two and a look-away hand-ball out the side to a free player inside fifty in the second quarter: Class!
  2. Alex Pearce II – The spray Alex gave D. Pearce after he led up to D. Pearce on the flank and D. Pearce bombed it over his head to a pack.
  3. Weller – his first involvement and the welcome from the purple army! We've got ourselves a young lad who can play.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Before I say this, let me preface it by saying no, I don't hate Ross, or the administration and I don't think the sky is falling. Oh, and yes, I know we are 15 and 2 and I'm LOVING that.

However... is it just me or does Luke MacPharlin almost always look backwards for his first option these days? This may be under instruction as we are undermanned in defense, but I remember the days when he would get the ball and make a dash down the corridor, similar to Michael Johnson.

Not saying the switch is not sometimes a good option, but we seem to swing the ball backward to little advantage quite often, even when there are available options forward of the play.

Yep, its very frustrating. He's been doing it all year, doesn't even look down the ground and quite often there's an option on.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
The 80 point smashing that wasn’t. In the second quarter, it felt like I was watching an attack vs. defence training session albeit with terrible finishing.

Agree with the comments on this board about the positives (the newbies, midfield without Fyfe, vintage Pav, Walters) and the negatives (sloppy sloppy skills, poor goal kicking).

Three plays of the day for me:
  1. Alex Pearce – a side step or two and a look-away hand-ball out the side to a free player inside fifty in the second quarter: Class!
  2. Alex Pearce II – The spray Alex gave D. Pearce after he led up to D. Pearce on the flank and D. Pearce bombed it over his head to a pack.
  3. Weller – his first involvement and the welcome from the purple army! We've got ourselves a young lad who can play.

D Pearces long bomb was easily marked by a GWS player too. Alex was a good 10m in front of his man, he didn't hold back on Danyle did he.

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

I do actually agree with you. There was a passage in the last quarter yesterday when a more risky inside handball (rather than safe to the boundary) resulted in quick movement through the corridor. McPharlin wasn't involved though.
I think a lot of the problems are in what the players a kick away are doing. Are they doing enough to lead or create space to provide a viable option? i think that may have dropped off over the last few weeks.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
The notion that goalkicking hasn't improved over time or that it didn't improve when the game went professional is a myth.

http://www.matterofstats.com/mafl-s.../goalkicking-accuracy-across-the-seasons.html

I think the fatigue argument has merit in as to why goal-kicking hasn't improved further, and it will be interesting to see the Q2/3 stats for the 2010-2019 period when the sample size gets to the same level as the others.

But yeah, the goals/behinds difference is nearly as wide as it has even been and the 2000s were the most accurate decade on record.
Perhaps part of it is the simple genetics of recruitment: you don't draft someone simply because they can mark and kick, so those pure skills become diluted in the afl gene pool.

Aug 29, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Glory
D Pearces long bomb was easily marked by a GWS player too. Alex was a good 10m in front of his man, he didn't hold back on Danyle did he.

I was a fair way away, but I just loved that he was willing to give a spray to a very experienced player in his first game as a forward.

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks

I think part of it is that we are looking to chip the ball out of defence to around the rear 1/3 of the centre square - then either get it to Hill/PearceD/Mundy etc and the go long by foot or try and run through. If that's not on we seem to be focusing on retaining possession via switch in an attempt to open something up. Then once something does we go hell for leather handball chain through the middle.

The game seems a little more focused on retention via precise kicking than months previous and that's an area where McPharlin has never been amazing if certainly adequate. I think in the absence of Johnson he is more that guy who it will be moved back too if there's nothing ahead, and so he is then moving it sideways or backwards immediately.

sij1981

Club Legend
Jul 31, 2008
sPACE
AFL Club
Fremantle
We always have this issue whereby we have someone open on the other side of 50 with no pressure but we end up booting to square where chance of mark is 30-40% rather than 89-100% , biggest culprit yesterday was D.Pearce. Rabbit eyes.

Alex Pearce II – The spray Alex gave D. Pearce after he led up to D. Pearce on the flank and D. Pearce bombed it over his head to a pack.
Yeah I loved this. Shows great confidence in himself and his place in the team. A big nod to the team culture that he can be that comfortable taking a senior player to task like that. Ended up turning it over in the end where Alex would have had a set shot. Stupid option to bomb it in like that.

Alex absolutely gave it to him!! Sadly Fyfe wasn't there to have another heart to heart at the break with Danyle about his decision making.

- oh and we have some delicate petals on this board. Is it the 'in' thing to declare that you're taking time away from big footy because you don't like people disagreeing with your opinion. It's a discussion board get a grip people.

It's not the disagreement with opinions - as you pointed out, it's a discussion board - it's part of the territory ;) It's the constant negativity and whining whether we win or lose. If you are the sum of the people you surround yourself with - and being surrounded by a bunch of whinging idiots is your thing, more power to you :p I'd rather have solid and balanced discussion on footy ;)

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
In the first quarter Hill was playing quite deep and on a number of occasions he just scythed through GWS and got the ball up the middle really quickly. GWS started sitting Scully on him and his influence dropped away and from there our ball use from defence just fell in a heap. Sheridan picked it up a bit but Sutcliffe didn't give his usual drive.
It really is as simple as getting it in the hands of the right players coming out of the backline sometimes.

In the first quarter Hill was playing quite deep and on a number of occasions he just scythed through GWS and got the ball up the middle really quickly. GWS started sitting Scully on him and his influence dropped away and from there our ball use from defence just fell in a heap. Sheridan picked it up a bit but Sutcliffe didn't give his usual drive.
It really is as simple as getting it in the hands of the right players coming out of the backline sometimes.

We were nicely physical in the game. I saw Mz giving it to Scully for a bit. Pav ragdolled players, and then there's the job on Cameron. What caused the second scuffle?

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
It's not the disagreement with opinions - as you pointed out, it's a discussion board - it's part of the territory ;) It's the constant negativity and whining whether we win or lose. If you are the sum of the people you surround yourself with - and being surrounded by a bunch of whinging idiots is your thing, more power to you :p I'd rather have solid and balanced discussion on footy ;)
Agree. I also think there is a snide, creeping criticism of the coach which is unrealistic and ill informed, and as it often comes from recently signed up posters leaves me suspicious of their loyalties. Nothing against criticism of the coach or discussion about strategy, but the lack of respect and short term and opportunistic sniping is nauseating given the situation he has taken the club to. And it seems to be without end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back