Review Round 18: Freo Defeats GWS by 21 pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at the game and I have re-watched the replay. I’ll add some food for thought.

Watching the replay wasn’t that painful. At the game I thought Sheridan stunk it up, however watching it again I thought that he provided some good run and delivery with some important plays. Something we’ve been missing (Hill has been great but we needed another player to do this). Yes he did have some basic skill errors which were costly, but he didn’t miss his targets by much (either just dropping short or just over the top). Right at this moment I think he is providing more the Sutcliffe. McPharlin actually had way more basic skill errors, he hardly kicked one directly to a player, and he also kept handballing to a Freo player in the play who was under pressure. I didn’t rate his decision making this game but everyone has off games.

GWS actually made us work for the win, rather than rolling over. They really pushed numbers back really well all game. They also were good at slowing the play down and chipping the ball through our press rather than bombing it long (a tactic that Richmond and Hawks do well against us). I think Cameron could have torn us apart (superb player, he had 5 shots on goal, 2.3) if his nose wasn’t bleeding all game. I think we’re also using the ball better going forward. IF we converted at least half of those woeful/easy shots on goal (Crozier, A Pearce x2, D Pearce, Mayne, Barlow, Pav) we’d be 100+ points.

We did ok in the midfield without Fyfe, and dare I say it, thanks to Suban and De Boer. Neale was often first ball get and he passed it out to a running Suban/Mundy. D Pearce was better this game, however I wish he went hard at the ball. So many times he could have won the ball if he used his body. A Pearce went well in the Forward line, already looked better than Tabaner. Annoyed that Dawson is an idiot and we have to send Peace back again. Also should Ibbo take the odd shot at goal from 50? A Few times he could have easily run to the 50 and taken a shot. He often try’s to kick it to the ‘hot zone’ (20-30m in front of goal).

I am pleased that the two elements missing were skill errors and conversion. GWS are very good at pressuring the opposition into skill errors (look at the Geelong game last week). Our effort was up and I thought we had a solid game plan. We have 6-9 weeks to clean up those errors. I am happy at where we are heading! In RTB I trust.

Love lachie... But i thought he was very unimpressive on the weekend. Missed targets and largely non damaging. Racked up a huge chunk of possessions in the last ten minutes. Thought despite his numbers that he was well below in order imo : Hill, Mundy & Barlow. Also (despite my calls occasionally for him to be dropped) could put mdb in that list as through the first 3 quarters he was more effective imo.

Haven't been too impressed with lachie this last month personally. Hoping he picks up and starts hitting the score board again.

Love lachie... But i thought he was very unimpressive on the weekend. Missed targets and largely non damaging. Racked up a huge chunk of possessions in the last ten minutes. Thought despite his numbers that he was well below in order imo : Hill, Mundy & Barlow. Also (despite my calls occasionally for him to be dropped) could put mdb in that list as through the first 3 quarters he was more effective imo.

Haven't been too impressed with lachie this last month personally. Hoping he picks up and starts hitting the score board again.
Agreed. He seems to be missing Fyfe at his best.

Rest him when we have actually some cover for him, it's pretty simple.. (which Dawson of course ***ed up). If we win all these sort of games and lock in top 2 at the very least he can have the game against Melbourne or the last round off against Port.

This week is must win and St Kilda are not easy beats.
Agree totally with this. Get 2 wins in next few weeks then time to look at players who need resting. Need top spot sewn up. Finish top and hopefully get the Swans at home. Let the egirls handle Hawthorn.

I thought he has been below his early season form for a while now. Might be getting more attention than before.

Thanks to Reginald Perrin - may he ever rise - I was able to go to the game in person after an extended absence from live games.* I spent most of the game reminding myself that the boys have been practising fast movement and that with that will come an increased error rate but, wooopsie-daisie, normally precise kicks like Neale were spraying them like post-sex pissers.

Heaps of up and under kicking. Heaps of flat thelicopter punts. Heaps of kicks with too much on them. Heaps of kicks with not enough on them.

Just very poor almost across the ground.

I can't remember if it was Commetti, but I always remember the call about a bloke who was kicking them high and short like Alex Pearce did for those two shots on goal - saying "He must have been an only child."

Well, to extend the imagery beyond the point of usefulness, our only chlidren weren't orphans. Everyone was ballsing it up.

Except Adonis Weller.

*Reginald's seats are not far from the Freo bench and I had a very good look at Weller running the boundary, keeping warm. I had three not terribly startling observations: (1) being a sub would suck like a very sucky thing (2) Weller was extremely composed and just the right amount of emptyheaded and (3) he really is, to take us back to the 90s, a moisty.

Thanks Reg.

Thanks to Reginald Perrin - may he ever rise - I was able to go to the game in person after an extended absence from live games.* I spent most of the game reminding myself that the boys have been practising fast movement and that with that will come an increased error rate but, wooopsie-daisie, normally precise kicks like Neale were spraying them like post-sex pissers.

Heaps of up and under kicking. Heaps of flat thelicopter punts. Heaps of kicks with too much on them. Heaps of kicks with not enough on them.

Just very poor almost across the ground.

I can't remember if it was Commetti, but I always remember the call about a bloke who was kicking them high and short like Alex Pearce did for those two shots on goal - saying "He must have been an only child."

Well, to extend the imagery beyond the point of usefulness, our only chlidren weren't orphans. Everyone was ballsing it up.

Except Adonis Weller.

*Reginald's seats are not far from the Freo bench and I had a very good look at Weller running the boundary, keeping warm. I had three not terribly startling observations: (1) being a sub would suck like a very sucky thing (2) Weller was extremely composed and just the right amount of emptyheaded and (3) he really is, to take us back to the 90s, a moisty.

Thanks Reg.

That man is a legend !!!

Danyle Pearce Dance - 4/10
Walters Dance - 10/10

Pearce needs to lift!! :D
The dance is ridiculous! I didn't see him do the dance when he woefully missed in the last turn. You know, if you want to celebrate, and it's the grand final, ok, other than that, unless it's the game winner in the final seconds, just go play more footy so your team can win. Dances are for the a$$holes in the NFL in America

The dance is ridiculous! I didn't see him do the dance when he woefully missed in the last turn. You know, if you want to celebrate, and it's the grand final, ok, other than that, unless it's the game winner in the final seconds, just go play more footy so your team can win. Dances are for the a$$holes in the NFL in America

Please leave quietly. The residents are getting a little bit of shut eye before a big week ahead.

image.jpg

well... arent you a bag of fun :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry. Just love the game and would hate to see it degrade. Admittedly don't know much about it, just never cared much for showboating, and not many of the matches (I see) feature celebration "dances". Again, my apologies.
It was less about showboating and more about showing solidarity against the racism directed at Adam Goodes.

Under the circumstances at the time I thought it was appropriate.

Last edited:
MUST apologize, I didn't realize what the dance was all about. Thanks to DudleyDocker for explaining the political situation surrounding it.
Again, my sincerest apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back