Preview Round 18 Prematch Discussion: Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course the club is trying to make the finals. Reid will play if he is fit enough.
I agree.

He has had 5 quarters of VFL footy now, and a fortnight to train and get himself ready for the game.

I'm expecting him to taper off a bit in the game as his match fitness catches up with him, however, he should structurally add enough to be worth the risk.

Adelaide also have 4 tall forwards, so I feel more comfortable knowing he can swing back and help out.

I know we have been conservative at selection, but this is the sort of week 5 changes makes sense.

In my opinion, 3 changes are automatic given the fact Adelaide are so tall up forward, and without Maxwell we'll need Keeffe and Reid.

In: Elliott, Keeffe, Reid, Broomhead, Martin

Out: Maxwell, Swan, Langdon, Josh Thomas, Jarryd Blair

I'd have Kennedy sub again. I want Kenendy to get full games, but I reckon he has more impact the Broomhead who has only had a total of 8 possessions in over 3 quarters of footy playing as a sub. Kennedy on the other hand comes on and has 9+ possessions a quarter in that role. Plus with Elliott and Martin in the side, we have small forwards.

I'd be dropping Blair now with Elliott back.

Goldsack to go into defence to help cover, but can be rotated with Reid if the need arises.

Forward line looks like:

Elliott, Cloke, Reid
Martin, White, Broomhead

That looks more dangerous. Dayne Beams to rotate forward as well to give Martin a run through the middle.

Elliott is a massive in for us. If we can add Reid as well, suddenly our forward line becomes viable again.

Keeffe has to come back in now, if not him, then play Marsh or Gault back. We simply cannot be short on a tall defender again, it doesn't work.

Kyle Martin and Tim Broomhead should also be brought in, we are still a shot at finals, but these guys more than deserve a crack at it. Plus, Martin and Broomhead wouldn't offer any less than a Blair or Young at the moment.

White stays for the moment because he could actually be useful with Reid in the team.

Ins: Keeffe, Reid, Elliott, Martin and Broomhead.
Outs: Maxwell :(, Swan:(, Blair, Young and Goldsack.

Interesting stats that I just found:

-Adelaide have won just 5 of their past 30 games in Victoria, dating back to 2009
-Adelaide have won just 1 of their past 12 games at the MCG, also going back to 09. The one win was against Melbourne in 2012.

They really struggle over here going by that. I give us a pretty good chance TBH.

Interesting stats that I just found:

-Adelaide have won just 5 of their past 30 games in Victoria, dating back to 2009
-Adelaide have won just 1 of their past 12 games at the MCG, also going back to 09. The one win was against Melbourne in 2012.

They really struggle over here going by that. I give us a pretty good chance TBH.
Collingwood and Adelaide always match up well. It's not like they blew us away when we last met either which was in front of a vocal SA crowd and we were clearly overawed. That crowd factor is removed here at the MCG and reversed to some extent.

Both sides have good forward lines considering we have Cloke, Reid and Elliott up one end, and they have Walker, Jenkins and Betts up the other. They have Lynch and Pods but we have White.

Their defence is a bit more secure but still relatively young, and the midfields pretty much go head to head nicely.

I'd be tagging Sloane over Dangerfield. Danger is just about impossible to tag in close, so I'd just be trying to shut him out of stoppages. Sloane really hurts offensively and has more outside run. Macaffer would suit the matchup better I reckon.

Ball matches nicely against Thompson and both are moving around a bit slowly at the moment due to some injury complaints.

I think we have a bit more midfield depth, but Adelaide's top end talent matches ours and given recent form can really put us to the sword. Their forward line will finish the work as well.

Basically, we just need a lift from the midfield. With Reid and Elliott back, we now have a forward line capable of kicking a winning score.

I know we have been conservative at selection, but this is the sort of week 5 changes makes sense.

In my opinion, 3 changes are automatic given the fact Adelaide are so tall up forward, and without Maxwell we'll need Keeffe and Reid.

In: Elliott, Keeffe, Reid, Broomhead, Martin
Out: Maxwell, Swan, Langdon, Josh Thomas, Jarryd Blair
Agree 100 % Dave, i wanted this type of change immediately post the Bombers game. Many things have happened outside our control this year, notably imjuries causing unavailability of players, but in the camp that team selection has been both conservative and costly this season. Fitness permitting, the above 5 ins are non negotiables with Fas only left out due to the need to get another game under his belt.
Many more goals in this line up and will give opposition defences alot more concern.

In: Reid, Keeffe, Broomhead & Elliott

Out: Other than Maxwell who cares

Jeez it'll be good to get some skill and goal kicking power into an otherwise uninspiring outfit (Pendles and Beams aside). On a side note look for Broomhead to spend decent periods through the middle!

Deplorable game against Bombers resulted in Bucks saying no one safe from the axe.

I went through our team list and picked 16 players I definitely want to play based on ability, form & structure: (not necessarily in order) Cloke, Pendles, Sidebottom, Reid, Beams, Elliott, Seedsman, Keeffe, Williams, Kennedy, Witts, Martin, Frost, Broomhead, Adams, White

Selected another 11 I have in the mix: (not in order) Ball, HL, Young, Toovey, Goldsack, Macaffer, Fasolo, Dwyer, Thomas, Langdon, Marsh

Then picked the team by position
FB Williams, Frost, Toovey
HB Langdon, Keeffe, Seedsman
C Sidebottom, Adams, Broomhead
HF Kennedy, Cloke, Martin
FF Elliott, Reid, White
Ruck Witts, Pendlebury, Beams
Inter Macaffer, Ball, Goldsack, Thomas
Emerg Marsh, Fasolo, Young or HL

Ins: Reid, Elliott, Keeffe, Martin, Broomhead
Outs: Maxwell, Swan, Blair, HL, Young

Notes: Ball, Macaffer & Toovey made the cut as we need the experience but Ball or JT as sub
Langdon & Goldsack made the cut on experience and because we need options down back
Fas & Dwyer missed out due to uncertainty (in my mind) over match fitness but would consider Fasolo for the sub
reward Broomhead & Martin for their consistency and skill in VFL, especially when AFL players underperforming
Caff to start on the bench and go to whoever, other than Danger, starts best for Crows. Danger too fast for him. Don't start Caff at centre bounces.
If White not performing up forward then possibly play down back, especially if we need extra height down there or Keeffe drops his head.
Keeffe, Seed, Broomhead preferred options for kick ins.

22 players to pull their finger out and win for the Black & White, appropriate response to Maxy farewell, make finals, whatever it takes to get themselves up.

Kyle Martin is a 90% chance to play this week is the word.
Source is close to Kyle and his father. Gave me the heads up before his debut last year.

IN: KYLE MARTIN

OUT: Jarryd Blair

Don't really care about the other ins and outs..

View attachment 69156
Your source is making things up. They haven't even discussed selection and I'm pretty confident his family would find out first. As I was with his father yesterday I'm pretty confident it would've been spoken about. Pretty brave putting Kyle and his Father on here as an Unknown Identity. For the record he doesn't know yet. Pull your head in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kyle Martin is a 90% chance to play this week is the word.
Source is close to Kyle and his father. Gave me the heads up before his debut last year.

IN: KYLE MARTIN

OUT: Jarryd Blair

Don't really care about the other ins and outs..

View attachment 69156
Unknow I.D Thanks for the heads up. Did your source say why 90%. What is the 10% reason he won't play.

yes I know. I was laughing because it was a funny post.
Speaking about funny TD. I read your noosa thread the other day and that was comedy gold
You need to go on holiday again TD and start another one of those threads :thumbsu:

I am going to Noosa in October this year 7th to 30th

Remove this Banner Ad

Back