Preview Round 18 Prematch Discussion: Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows will relish the open spaces of the MCG - they often don't get to play here.
Crows in a canter.

Adelaide by 47 points. It's gonna be ugly guys.

Seriously mate. Thats why we beat them last year?? The open spaces surely helped them against the blues at the MCG earlier in the year.
No chance we drop this. Even eddie gave the boys a speech last week. We will breathe fire and put fierce pressure on the footy for 4 quarters. Pies by 33

Crows will relish the open spaces of the MCG - they often don't get to play here.
Crows in a canter.

Adelaide by 47 points. It's gonna be ugly guys.

Yee of little faith.

God-monty-python-380132_500_276.jpg

FB: Toovey Keefe Williams
HB: Langdon Frost Goldsack
C: Sidebottom Adams Seedsman
HF: White Cloke Macaffer
FF: Kennedy Reid Elliott

Foll: Grundy Pendlebury Beams
Int: Ball Young Martin
Sub: Lumumba

In: Keefe, Reid, Martin, Elliott, Grundy
Out: J.Thomas, Blair, Maxwell, Swan, Witts

Goldsack to take Dangerfield when up forward.
Macaffer to stop Brodie Smiths run from their backline
White to rotate with Grundy through the ruck.
Lumumba to come on late in the 3rd quarter to inject run.

Last edited:

I would be very surprised if Witts is omitted. He has been excellent.

Why Witts out? His form is better than Grundy. Just had a bye??

Goldsack to take Dangerfield when up forward.
Macaffer to stop Brodie Smiths run from their backline
White to rotate with Grundy through the ruck.
Lumumba to come on late in the 3rd quarter to inject run.
Take White out and put in Witts.

It was a tough one but I just feel that Grundy does more around the ground than Witts.
2014 comparison;

Grundy = 12 games - average of 12 possessions, 2 marks, 0.25 goals a game, 18 hitouts
Witts = 14 games - average of 11 possessions, 3 marks, 0.50 goals a game, 17 hitouts

The only difference is there that Witts is more capable of kicking a goal but also in recent weeks his hitout stats have improved to average of 25 in the last 4 games (when he's been the sole ruckman).

Witts is just the better option than Grundy at the moment, and that's no shock as Wittsy virtually has 2 years on Brodie development wise a the club.

Dropping Witts achieves nothing, either Grundy comes in for White or he doesn't play this week.

Makes us far too top heavy and slow in the forward half.
For someone as tall as Witts is, he offers very little in the forward half.
Our forward line looked it's best this year when we had Grundy & Witts in the ruck and White and Cloke up forward.

We need to do that this week except replace White with Reid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On paper, you'd think Witts wouldn't offer much in the forward half, but the Witts/Grundy combination worked well in the first half of the year. The real change is White for Reid. I am quietly confident about this game though.

I find a lot of parallels between this season and 2007. I think we'll sneak into the finals, and with guys like Karnezis, Fasolo, Broomhead, Martin, etc on the cusp, we may surprise a few in September.

2014 comparison;

Grundy = 12 games - average of 12 possessions, 2 marks, 0.25 goals a game, 18 hitouts
Witts = 14 games - average of 11 possessions, 3 marks, 0.50 goals a game, 17 hitouts

The only difference is there that Witts is more capable of kicking a goal but also in recent weeks his hitout stats have improved to average of 25 in the last 4 games (when he's been the sole ruckman).

Witts is just the better option than Grundy at the moment, and that's no shock as Wittsy virtually has 2 years on Brodie development wise a the club.

Dropping Witts achieves nothing, either Grundy comes in for White or he doesn't play this week.

I agree with this. Witts is really starting to develop and it would be a mistake to send him back to the VFL. Grundy will get there but I would go with White at this stage.

When was the last time we lost three in a row? Yeah, not for a very LONG time. On that note, I can't see us losing this one. Add to that the fact that Maxxy retired and we should win it.

Not confident, but I think we should get the job done. If we don't, I'll be biterly disappointed in the Club for letting down Maxy and the fans and for giving us three loses in a row.

Finals are on the line. Just a question of whether we want to participate in them or not.

2014 comparison;

I hear what you and the others are saying Matty.
These are just my thoughts.
It was the one position that I had trouble with selecting.
I just like Grundys athleticism over Witts.
I also like that Grundy has a bit of mongrel in him (though I don't like the amount of frees he gives away).
The last time we played them Grundy had 32 hitouts, and Witts had 13.
Jacobs had 34 for the Crows.

Overall, what do you think of the team? (besides the Ruck)

When was the last time we lost three in a row? Yeah, not for a very LONG time. On that note, I can't see us losing this one.
Depends. Haven't lost 3 in a row in one year since 2008. But over two years we lost round 23 and the EF last year, and then round 1 this year.

I tend to agree with you though, over here, couple of weeks off, players back in, time for a statement - I'll be disappointed if we don't win this one. A stand has to be made and I reckon it will. Pies by 21. :thumbsu:

I hear what you and the others are saying Matty.
These are just my thoughts.
It was the one position that I had trouble with selecting.
I just like Grundys athleticism over Witts.
I also like that Grundy has a bit of mongrel in him (though I don't like the amount of frees he gives away).
The last time we played them Grundy had 32 hitouts, and Witts had 13.
Jacobs had 34 for the Crows.

Overall, what do you think of the team? (besides the Ruck)
Apart from Grundy the changes are about right, I wouldn't complain at all if it was White who made way for Grundy though instead of Witts as is in your selections.

Elliott, Reid and Keeffe just have to play, that's a given so it leaves the last 1 or 2 changes as open to debate.

Apart from Grundy the changes are about right, I wouldn't complain at all if it was White who made way for Grundy though instead of Witts as is in your selections.

Elliott, Reid and Keeffe just have to play, that's a given so it leaves the last 1 or 2 changes as open to debate.

I really want to see how White goes as the genuine 3rd tall/2nd ruck.
That's how we trained all pre season.
With him having the 3rd tall defender on him, he might relish the opportunity and play the way we have been hoping for all year.

2014 comparison;

Well go by Form between the 2 in the AFL and VFL. I would bring in Grundy IF fit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back