Round 19 Changes vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Stats, highlights, other peoples opinions, talking to people who watched it, previous weeks form, injured players who are returning, news articles, listened to the whole game on the radio.

Calm down.
Otherwise you would realise how ridiculous a Clarke omission would be.

Otherwise you would realise how ridiculous a Clarke omission would be.
Is lacking confidence. Was monstered by Longer in the ruck. 37 hitouts to 23 isn't a good stat considering how much longer Clarke has been in the system. Has been a little tentative and soft the last few weeks. Needs to get his confidence back

Is lacking confidence. Was monstered by Longer in the ruck. 37 hitouts to 23 isn't a good stat considering how much longer Clarke has been in the system. Has been a little tentative and soft the last few weeks. Needs to get his confidence back

How could anyone be monstered by Longer? Seriously!!!!

Don't ask me. Ask Clarke AND Griffen.

They couldn't match him together

I can't think of a current day AFL ruckman who would not beat Longer. Now I have two and they both play for Freo:eek:

Werent the commentators raving about Clarkes game against GWS? I thought hed been pretty good this year! Can be a down hill skier, but very good otherwise IMO.

Guys lets keep this simple, let's work out who is back and then find the player to replace them with. We played a s**t game, but no need to over react.

In: Ballas, Hill, Walters (If Fit), Silvagni (If McPharlin if injured), Sandilands
Out: Taberner, de Boer (If Walters is fit) , Sylvia, McPharlin if Injured , Griffin

FREMANTLE:
B: Lee Spurr, Zac Dawson, Paul Duffield
HB: Tendai Mzungu, Luke McPharlin\Silvagni, Michael Johnson
C: David Mundy, Ryan Crowley, Danyle Pearce
HF: Chris Mayne, Matthew Pavlich, Hill
F: Ballas, Zac Clarke, Walters\de Boer
FOLL: Sandilands, Nat Fyfe, Nick Suban
I/C: Michael Barlow, Lachie Neale, Cameron Sutcliffe, Anthony Morabito

FYI - If panicking just look at this team and calm down, we have great depth and we have 4 A grade players back after the bye

Guys lets keep this simple, let's work out who is back and then find the player to replace them with. We played a s**t game, but no need to over react.

In: Ballas, Hill, Walters (If Fit), Silvagni (If McPharlin if injured), Sandilands
Out: Taberner, de Boer (If Walters is fit) , Sylvia, McPharlin if Injured , Griffin

FREMANTLE:
B: Lee Spurr, Zac Dawson, Paul Duffield
HB: Tendai Mzungu, Luke McPharlin\Silvagni, Michael Johnson
C: David Mundy, Ryan Crowley, Danyle Pearce
HF: Chris Mayne, Matthew Pavlich, Hill
F: Ballas, Zac Clarke, Walters\de Boer
FOLL: Sandilands, Nat Fyfe, Nick Suban
I/C: Michael Barlow, Lachie Neale, Cameron Sutcliffe, Anthony Morabito

FYI - If panicking just look at this team and calm down, we have great depth and we have 4 A grade players back after the bye

It wasn't the personal, it was the absolute lack of heart and pressure throughout the whole group, a more insipid performance I struggle to find.

it's worrying considering top 2 was up for grabs.

I really wasn't worried about this game because of our midfield. This is the most damning of everything from the whole game.

You can argue we had no forward line or that our defense looked off, but both of those are greatly influenced by our midfield and it was non existant.

The whole midfield copped a beating and both ends of the ground reflect poorly from this.

Carlton are playing ok footy from their midfield, we really need to make a statement.

Werent the commentators raving about Clarkes game against GWS? I thought hed been pretty good this year! Can be a down hill skier, but very good otherwise IMO.
Clarke has been good this year. Somebody was just getting carried away with grief.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's part of the problem sure, but for me it's also a matter of culture.

Peel consistently under performs and you can't just put it down to individual players, or the coach - although they do have more influence than other individuals.

Ross brought more than a winning game plan to Freo, he brought with him an emphasis on creating a winning culture. This was present at the club in nascent form before he arrived, he just augmented what was there and took it to another level.

IMO Peel have gotten used to losing and expect to lose, just as Hawthorn and Geelong became used to winning and started expecting to climb into a winning position no matter what the odds.

Fremantle for my mind is somewhere between the two: they have a winning culture, but the memories of the bad times are still there and under pressure old bad habits can creep back. Freo has all but stamped out their old complacency, with only the occasional lapse like SAturday or the GF. Peel OTOH, are knee deep in complacency still and it rubs off on all parts of the playing group that are exposed to it.

The Freo players who play for peel the most get used to losing - it's habit forming and bad for the psyche, you start to expect less from yourself and start to forget what you're really capable of. Peel and Freo were linked to help peel improve - to lift them up. I fear the opposite may happen, with Peel's lackluster approach to performance and improvement dragging Freo's second stringer players down to their level.

There is probably an element of that, but the fact remains Peel are very competitive in most of their games this year. Their trademark is now the final quarter fadeout - for example yesterday late in the 3rd Peel were in front by 3 goals. Ended up losing by 4. A common story this year.

So it's not like they're getting pumped every week. Players that want to perform well have that opportunity to no matter where on the ground they play. But I see your point about getting used to losing. That's something Freo should be helping them out as much as possible.

That's true, but Clarke is still, by a huge margin, our 2nd best ruckman as well as the best option to rest up forward. He frustrates the hell out of me when he drops marks he should be taking, but there's no way we're beating good teams without him.

Forget the Taberner, Apeness experiment for now. Neither are proving a concern for defenders, when I saw Roberton halve a contest against Taberner when he lost Fisher through hard work I realized the young key position players aren't ready. .
We shouldn't be expecting Taberner to be out bodying too many of his opponents at this stage, he looks best when he's getting marks out on a lead. Roberton isn't a small player only giving up 3cm and 1kg to Taberner, 197>194 & 89>88. (Numbers from each players page.)

Clarke only would have been in some danger had Griff ripped it up, he's not going to be dropped for Hannath.

Taberner is still a pre-season away but not liking how many are completely writing him off, I think expectations on a rookie tall the size of a wet toothpick may be a tad high. Want Apeness to come in for him, ideally it would be Gumby though.

What will be interesting it how many changes we make, Ross is traditionally conservative but with the players returning, the players out of form and the manner of the loss we may see the most changes of the year.

You can't underestimate what a couple of preseasons do. Especially for these tall lanky folks.

Taberner and Apeness will be ready to take over from Pav come 2016. But neither will really peak for a couple more seasons after that.

Think that was the hope of Gumby to be a gap filler.

Clarke won't be dropped.

I agree. If it was between Griffin and Clarke getting dropped, it will be griffin. Griffin has played his 1st afl game in 18 months after doing his knee.

I would only make 2-3 changes...

Out: Mzungu, McPharlin (If both are severely injured), Griffin

In: Hill, Ballas, Sandi.

Carlton dont have big forwards so Dawson and Johnson could be enough. I wouldnt mind Silvagni in, but if he is still injured, give Alex Pearce his debut.

I agree. If it was between Griffin and Clarke getting dropped, it will be griffin. Griffin has played his 1st afl game in 18 months after doing his knee.

I would only make 2-3 changes...

Out: Mzungu, McPharlin (If both are severely injured), Griffin

In: Hill, Ballas, Sandi.

Carlton dont have big forwards so Dawson and Johnson could be enough. I wouldnt mind Silvagni in, but if he is still injured, give Alex Pearce his debut.
We have Waite 194cm/95kg, Henderson 196cm/95kg and Casboult 199cm/100kg. Also wood might drift forward at times who is 204cm/100kg. So its a bit of a stretch to say we have no big forwards. Can't wait for the game ! feel like Freo are gonna want to redeem them selves in a MASSIVE way .Could be very bad for us!

With you there. After a loss like that De Boer would be the first on the sheet in my view. Effort never in question.

When he came on within seconds he laid i big crunching tackle and i thought "oh yeah here we go"......... Knowone followed his lead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back