Round 19 Changes Vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out - Leuy (if injured) and Beams (surgery surely); and Robertson (has clearly lost form since his injury)
IN - McGuane, O'Brien, and Cutler

Would be tempted to drop McStay as well for Staker, but I wouldn't want to have both Staker and McGuane lumbering up forward. I also wouldn't mind Golby getting one last go before the end of the year.

IN: Zac O'Brien, Tom Cutler
OUT: Dayne Beams (shoulder), Matthew Leuenberger (knee)

Last edited:

Would be surprised if ZOB gets a game to be honest. His cards are marked. 50 touches looks good on paper but he doesn't look an AFL level player, and at his age we wouldn't be throwing games into him for development.

Then again, it's hard to know exactly who else could come in.

Would be surprised if ZOB gets a game to be honest. His cards are marked. 50 touches looks good on paper but he doesn't look an AFL level player, and at his age we wouldn't be throwing games into him for development.

Then again, it's hard to know exactly who else could come in.

Agree. Would think the coaching staff would have a fair idea by now. I wouldn't expect him to get a game if we're cutting him lose. There'll be someone we can bring in and just shuffle some players around.

Agree. Would think the coaching staff would have a fair idea by now. I wouldn't expect him to get a game if we're cutting him lose. There'll be someone we can bring in and just shuffle some players around.

I'd give Golby a game ahead of ZOB actually. Golby has shown he can contribute, and well, at the top level - even if he hasn't for a while now.

I'd give Golby a game ahead of ZOB actually. Golby has shown he can contribute, and well, at the top level - even if he hasn't for a while now.

Who are the midfielders on our list not in the 22 today?

Lester, ZoB and Aish. With Aish gone we need to build our midfield depth and give ZoB a go.

The problem with ZoB is his weaknesses are shared with pretty much all our midfielders. This holds him back but he's the only healthy midfielder currently not in the team so should probably get a shot with Beams injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

O'Brien wins the ball and tackles strongly, That'd just about place him above most players in our available best 22 right now. He deserves a spot for the rest of this season. Should be kept on the list too. Solid depth player to have on the list. There's plenty of others I'd be getting rid of ahead of him.

Staggering some of the changes suggested here!

Golby has clearly had his cards marked and will be moving on at the end of the year so why on earth play him ahead of someone like a Cutler?

McGuane has a knee on it's very last legs, and for every Ryan Harris that can make the knee last and still perform at the top level, there are about 50 who simply can't physically do it anymore. Why put games in to him either?
Better served picking someone like Hammelman, even if he doesn't deserve it just to see how he goes at senior level rather than waste games on players that clearly aren't part of our future.
Even if they don't deserve it on form, surely you would pick someone who MIGHT be part of our future (Watts, Evans, Beasley, Hammelman) rather than someone who clearly won't be (Golby, Staker, McGuane)

Staggering some of the changes suggested here!

Golby has clearly had his cards marked and will be moving on at the end of the year so why on earth play him ahead of someone like a Cutler?

McGuane has a knee on it's very last legs, and for every Ryan Harris that can make the knee last and still perform at the top level, there are about 50 who simply can't physically do it anymore. Why put games in to him either?
Better served picking someone like Hammelman, even if he doesn't deserve it just to see how he goes at senior level rather than waste games on players that clearly aren't part of our future.
Even if they don't deserve it on form, surely you would pick someone who MIGHT be part of our future (Watts, Evans, Beasley, Hammelman) rather than someone who clearly won't be (Golby, Staker, McGuane)

We are desperate for some experience, we are not desperate to play some kids who are a long way off contributing at senior level.

I would play Cuts ahead of Golby but wouldn't be against McGuane playing if they believe he can play senior footy over the next 2-4 years.

As much as I think certain fans would love the number 1 pick I don't think the club will tank apart from maybe putting some players in for surgery. Some fans should probably ready themselves for missing out on Schache and Weitering as well.

I think Cutler coming in for Beams works. Can free up Mayes and Rich to play more time in the midfield. Leuey might be another change but he looked sore rather than badly injured. I'd be open to giving McGuane a game up forward if Leuey is out.

I wonder if West could come in for Leuey if injured.

We are desperate for some experience, we are not desperate to play some kids who are a long way off contributing at senior level.

I would play Cuts ahead of Golby but wouldn't be against McGuane playing if they believe he can play senior footy over the next 2-4 years.

As much as I think certain fans would love the number 1 pick I don't think the club will tank apart from maybe putting some players in for surgery. Some fans should probably ready themselves for missing out on Schache and Weitering as well.

certainly not advocating tanking, wins breed confidence so the more the better quite frankly as it will only increase confidence in the long run (although I won't deny a personal wish to get Schache like many others!) Also, I don't think we need pick 1 to get Schache. Blues seem intent on Weitering, so if they are bottom and we are 2nd last we would still be in a position to get Schache.

I'm not entirely sure I agree with the desperate for experience part tbh. It has been the experience that has been underperforming largely (Rich, Redden etc) while the youngsters have been the shining light mostly. Why not take some more short-term pain for possible long-term gain by seeing if the untried kids are actually up to it? I just think there is the potential for a better long term result.

certainly not advocating tanking, wins breed confidence so the more the better quite frankly as it will only increase confidence in the long run (although I won't deny a personal wish to get Schache like many others!) Also, I don't think we need pick 1 to get Schache. Blues seem intent on Weitering, so if they are bottom and we are 2nd last we would still be in a position to get Schache.

I'm not entirely sure I agree with the desperate for experience part tbh. It has been the experience that has been underperforming largely (Rich, Redden etc) while the youngsters have been the shining light mostly. Why not take some more short-term pain for possible long-term gain by seeing if the untried kids are actually up to it? I just think there is the potential for a better long term result.

It's pretty evident from reserves form that Hammer, Evans, Watts, etc. are clearly not up to it.

It's pretty evident from reserves form that Hammer, Evans, Watts, etc. are clearly not up to it.
I think you writing them off too quickly IMO.

They are first year 18yo players in an massively undermanned reserves team. Sometimes they have had only about 6 listed players. Hardly conditions in which a first year teenager is going to flourish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back