Unofficial Preview Round 19 Early Thoughts: Sydney Swans vs Essendon - SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not one to pump essendon players up

But heppell actually gets underrated maybe because of asada focus? I dunno, but the kid has been elite since day 1

You dont see him in top 10s or even top 20s but he is a dead set gun
totally showing his class this year. Hard at it, in and out player. To stand up in Watson's absence speaks volumes I think. The midfield battle will be fascinating.

Yep we have had some great matches with Essendon in the past.

Alesso kick after the siren 2001?
Dempsey play on after the siren 2012
Goodes miss after the siren 2011
Some match at ANZ where Essendon supporters were going mad for 2 weeks on BF about the umpiring

About the crowd going feral there are only a few example i can remember it being that loud the game you just described and the Razor Ray Freo game at the SCG i swear i thought half the crowd was going to jump the fence and kill him.

Alessio *shudder*. You have mentioned one of most disappointing losses I can remember H&A. 7 goals up half time. Hadn't beaten them since 97 or something. Kel misses a goal from a set shot 15m out at the end of the qtr and they grind us down for the rest of the match leading to Alessio marking on the siren to pip us. The stuff of nightmares.

Regarding Heppell wasnt there a incident of a few years ago where he badly squibbed a contest he copped a lot of flak for that or am i thinking of a different player?

Could be one of quite a few at the Bombers who are often guilty of 'hearing footsteps'.

I can't even remember what year it was but I remember then kicking a goal in the dying minutes of one game to put them ahead but on replay it was obvious that the ball went over the boundary seconds before the goal was kicked and the boundary umpire didn't notice it.
It was 2007, watched it last week on a Virgin flight....damn those big post pads...

Regarding Heppell wasnt there a incident of a few years ago where he badly squibbed a contest he copped a lot of flak for that or am i thinking of a different player?
there was an incident that a lot of North supporters seemed to think was significant. It was nothing major. There was an argument to be said he was called out of it by a team mate. Even so, even if he did slightly duck his head on that occasion as a lightly framed second year player (and the majority of players probably have in one way or another) he certainly learned his lesson, as he goes when it's his turn 100% of the time now. So my take is even if he did, good on him for taking it on board and learning from it and becoming one of the most courageous players going around

Edit, make up your own mind. I can't see how anyone could say he "badly squibbed it", I always thought he misjudged it, but I'm biased for sure

Hello all, first time poster, long time observer! Im really looking forward to this game, im flying up from Melbourne to watch! Ive got a good feeling Swans will turn it on this weekend, I dont think the 6 day break will be a concern given we had the bye the previous week. If we shut down Carlisle I think we are a massive show, I think his heroics are masking the deficiencies in the Bombers forward line. Id love to see Jason Biggs given a run, the guy seems to get 40+ in the ressies on a regular basis, surely we could use his run and disposal off halfback? Id like to see Shaw come back through the ressies as well! Go Swans.

Well thats really interesting with Shaw coming back do we push Rohan up forward? Hanners i just hope we can get him back for the Port game but i have a feeling he could be gone for the season.

Similar injury to Jack and when he come back in 2011 he was a shadow of himself for the rest of the year.
Will be interesting , maybe Laidler and Gary plays Laidlers role and Shaw goes back to the norm but that would be stiff on Laidler , plus he has been very good but lacks a little leg speed against short people .
Cant see that happing and I cant see them playing 8 defenders and moving Rohan Forward after playing his best game for a while , getting confidence down back would be strange.
Blakey Said today there were keen to get Rohan going off the HB using his speed and his manic pressure Tackling as it would be scary for opposition teams to stop him IF he can fire.
As you say interesting selection

Will be interesting , maybe Laidler and Gary plays Laidlers role and Shaw goes back to the norm but that would be stiff on Laidler , plus he has been very good but lacks a little leg speed against short people .
Cant see that happing and I cant see them playing 8 defenders and moving Rohan Forward after playing his best game for a while , getting confidence down back would be strange.
Blakey Said today there were keen to get Rohan going off the HB using his speed and his manic pressure Tackling as it would be scary for opposition teams to stop him IF he can fire.
As you say interesting selection
Is there any chance at all of Biggs being elevated for this game, or even to get a gig at some point this year to play the HBF role? Loved Garys game off halfback though, just needs top find some more space to get more ball. If he can get 20-25 touches a game he could be a real difference this year but more likely next year.
Also any chance of Lloyd being punted for maybe a Jones, Hewitt or Robinson? Not sure what sort of pace either of the 2 latter have.

Is there any chance at all of Biggs being elevated for this game, or even to get a gig at some point this year to play the HBF role? Loved Garys game off halfback though, just needs top find some more space to get more ball. If he can get 20-25 touches a game he could be a real difference this year but more likely next year.
Also any chance of Lloyd being punted for maybe a Jones, Hewitt or Robinson? Not sure what sort of pace either of the 2 latter have.

At this stage of the season with 4 weeks left mate i really doubt you will see a elevation, and i think we are saving it up incase a nightmare occurs if Pyke and Derickx both go down and we dont have a ruck.

This is the team we will take into the finals with Shaw, Hanners in and a few positions being changed, think Rohan has done enough to stay in the side.

At this stage of the season with 4 weeks left mate i really doubt you will see a elevation, and i think we are saving it up incase a nightmare occurs if Pyke and Derickx both go down and we dont have a ruck.

This is the team we will take into the finals with Shaw, Hanners in and a few positions being changed, hopefully Rohan has done enough to stay in the side.
Fair enough, It just concerns me how long Shaw takes to get his consistency back after an injury. Id like to see Biggs, Robinson and Naismith added to to the main list next year. Add Heaney and Davis plus a KPD we should be sitting pretty for 2015.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was an amazing finish. Sydney crowd went FERAL. We booed the umpires off. Some of tge loudest booing I've ever heard at the scg. Then it turned out the players were hanging around for a presentation so the booing kept up for about 4 minutes.

Never tell me we aren't passionate in Sydney. :D

Aye, it was one of my first memories of attending a live game, and the solidarity I felt in mutual disgust would forever bind me to the red & white.

there was an incident that a lot of North supporters seemed to think was significant. It was nothing major. There was an argument to be said he was called out of it by a team mate. Even so, even if he did slightly duck his head on that occasion as a lightly framed second year player (and the majority of players probably have in one way or another) he certainly learned his lesson, as he goes when it's his turn 100% of the time now. So my take is even if he did, good on him for taking it on board and learning from it and becoming one of the most courageous players going around

Edit, make up your own mind. I can't see how anyone could say he "badly squibbed it", I always thought he misjudged it, but I'm biased for sure

No idea what they're on about. Just misjudged the flight imho. :confused:

Fair enough went only on highlights reel guess Picken was the poor fella who got isolated on him.

He is playing better no doubt but he also had nineteen marks against Collingwood as well. He out marked Marley Williams, Nick Maxwell & Alan Toovey in several of those contests. Big Deal. Roughead is a pup, Morris undersized and as stated Picken a midget. See how he goes against a 95-100kg Key defender in Grundy or genuinely strong fullback in Richards. He is playing better as I said but he does not exactly instill fear into me when summing up our chances.

He is playing better no doubt but he also had nineteen marks against Collingwood as well. He out marked Marley Williams, Nick Maxwell & Alan Toovey in several of those contests. Big Deal. Roughead is a pup, Morris undersized and as stated Picken a midget. See how he goes against a 95-100kg Key defender in Grundy or genuinely strong fullback in Richards. He is playing better as I said but he does not exactly instill fear into me when summing up our chances.
He is like Reid in a lot of ways, if you let him have a run at the ball he can be devastating given his dukes are so good, if you body him I think he struggles much like Reid does.

Id love a start like last time

You're first quarter last time was amazing, killed the match as a contest in 10 minutes, I thought we played pretty good after half time and I actually think we turned our season around from then, will be interesting to see how go this time around, hopefully we are in it for a lot longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back