Status
Not open for further replies.

disgruntled goat

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
6 day break vs a team coming off a bye...I know we were on the right side of this kind of fixture earlier in the year so that evens it out from our perspective, but surely it can't be that hard for the AFL to avoid having this occur at all.

I hate this six-day break crud as any kind of excuse ... these are professional footballers, not blokes having to work a full-time job and fit in training, travelling and playing ... I hate seeing it used as a reason for concern leading into a game or an excuse after ... we're frequently beaten after a bye, fit that into the "logic" of the six-day break.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Well thats really interesting with Shaw coming back do we push Rohan up forward? Hanners i just hope we can get him back for the Port game but i have a feeling he could be gone for the season.

Similar injury to Jack and when he come back in 2011 he was a shadow of himself for the rest of the year.

Jack admitted coming back too early, but I share your concern. Either way I'd leave Hanners out of the Port game. Running machines v's dodgy ankle not a good mix.

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
Aye, it was one of my first memories of attending a live game, and the solidarity I felt in mutual disgust would forever bind me to the red & white.

I envy you not knowing having to know too much about the intense thing Essendon and Sydney had from 1996 to 2005. As a supporter they were THE club I wanted to beat more than any other. Partly because they were the benchmark side. But mostly because we always found a way to not win against them.

They beat us 8 games in a row from 1998 to 2003. And the ridiculous ways they found to beat us just got worse and worse. Goals after the siren. Ricky Mott missing from 20m out right in front. Oh and then they would smash us by a 100 points every other game. :eek:

More recently we've had their measure. And yet...blowing a 50 point lead and having them mercifully play on when the siren went to secure the win, McVeigh taking a game off us by kicking a goal from the beer queue, or Goodes missing after the siren are just typical days out for our two sides really. :D

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
you're kidding, he shat himself

Really? Maybe.

heppell.jpg

To me this screen shot shows a guy running under the flight, with no one too close to him, and reaching pathetically back behind himself because he's completely goosed his attack on the ball. Embarrassing. Worthy of a piss take or two. But not really evidence of backing out of a contest?

To me this is a squibb because clearly he had a player right in his peripheral vision:

baja

Premiership Player
Dec 23, 2010
Bass Strait
AFL Club
Sydney
Really? Maybe.

To me this screen shot shows a guy running under the flight, with no one too close to him, and reaching pathetically back behind himself because he's completely goosed his attack on the ball. Embarrassing. Worthy of a piss take or two. But not really evidence of backing out of a contest?

Heppell tried to disguise it, Im not saying he is like a lot of his teammates I think he sometimes shows courage but that was a definite squib.

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
Heppell tried to disguise it, Im not saying he is like a lot of his teammates I think he sometimes shows courage but that was a definite squib.

All I really should be saying this week is...let's beat these squibbs. Doesn't matter if I believe it or even if it's true. Let's just do them. Whatever it takes. :p

Jack2Jack

Club Legend
May 3, 2011
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
I hate this six-day break crud as any kind of excuse ... these are professional footballers, not blokes having to work a full-time job and fit in training, travelling and playing ... I hate seeing it used as a reason for concern leading into a game or an excuse after ... we're frequently beaten after a bye, fit that into the "logic" of the six-day break.

I actually agree with that 100%, it's no excuse at all, especially when fans start using a whole 15 hours extra rest as an excuse. Particularly in Grand Finals (cough *2012* cough).
I was more just questioning why this sort of fixture needs to happen at all following bye rounds, surely it can't be that hard for the AFL to fixture 2 rested teams against each other, while having 2 teams that played the week before against each other. It's a simple solution that would stop clubs and fans whinging.

Halftimehero

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon

It was nearly 3 years ago in about his 20th game or something, going by one incident are you gonna call him a squib? You clearly need to watch more football. Who are his teammates that you say lack courage?

Dolner

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Not involved in fantasy just interested in the kid and the game....What is the likelihood of seeing Tom Mitchell, is he still regularly killing in the NEAFL? Looks like you could use him in the midfield with no Hannebery.

More likely Towers will get a full game though eh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Not involved in fantasy just interested in the kid and the game....What is the likelihood of seeing Tom Mitchell, is he still regularly killing in the NEAFL? Looks like you could use him in the midfield with no Hannebery.

More likely Towers will get a full game though eh.

Mitchell is currently injured and with Hanners scheduled to come back next week i doubt Mitchell will get another game this season.

Be good if carlisle is sub

I cant see essendon containing franklin and tippett, can see hooker holding one down, but carlisle forward weakens the defence a little? Maybe im being unfair

Sydney essendon always seems to be big possie battles between kennedy and watson

I want this win the most out of the last five rounds, make it happen footy gods

Horts

Club Legend
Jun 15, 2014
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Leeds United, Melbourne City
We should run a ticker tape at the top of our board, "Mitchell injured - getting 0 possessions in NEAFL. Can't walk. Can't play. Next!"

Thats actually a great idea. A live feed on Tom Mitchell's current status, it's the single question I get asked most being a Swans supporter.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
Must win. We lose and top 2 is gone.

Expecting Tippett to kick a bag and the mids to really stamp their authority. The next two weeks, if we win, will cement our top 2 spot.

Sanecow

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Every game from now is a danger game if we want top 2 :p

Screwing round with the ladder predictor and not choosing any unlikely results (although there will be upsets based on other rounds this year), I think we could drop a game (Port, round 20, though I'd rather not) and still scrape into top two depending on other results. Other interesting games are:

Geelong-Fremantle round 20
Fremantle-Hawthorn round 21
Hawthorn-Geelong round 22
Fremantle-Port round 23

Another game to care about each round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back