Unofficial Preview Round 19 Early Thoughts: Sydney Swans vs Essendon - SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Shaw has to play in the Twos to start with. I can't see us playing any underdone players this late in the peace against a hard opponent. If it were Brisbane then yes

Won't say I disagree there but I do think Shaw's importance to this side is well and truly underestimated by some.
A lot of people don't realise it but when he is running and attacking off half back we play better footy and when Shaw plays well we rarely get beaten. His competitiveness is second to none and his encouragement & Leadership shown to his team mates especially down back is outstanding. Get the feeling some on here prefer Rohan in that spot with his encouraging efforts the last couple but give me Shaw clearly at this stage in a big game against quality opposition. Rohan showed against the Hawks that he has the ability to be a very good player across half back against the best sides but his time will come. As good as Lloyd has been Rohan may snare that 22nd spot come finals with Hanneberry tipping out Towers.

Won't say I disagree there but I do think Shaw's importance to this side is well and truly underestimated by some.
A lot of people don't realise it but when he is running and attacking off half back we play better footy and when Shaw plays well we rarely get beaten. His competitiveness is second to none and his encouragement & Leadership shown to his team mates especially down back is outstanding. Get the feeling some on here prefer Rohan in that spot with his encouraging efforts the last couple but give me Shaw clearly at this stage in a big game against quality opposition. Rohan showed against the Hawks that he has the ability to be a very good player across half back against the best sides but his time will come. As good as Lloyd has been Rohan may snare that 22nd spot come finals with Hanneberry tipping out Towers.
I agree, my only concern is how scratchy Shaw can be on return.

The thing about Shaw is you won't see him shirk a physical match up. Younger or more inexperienced players can occasionally 'vanish' as we saw Lloyd do last week when asked to negate.

lol at thoughts of Heppell being a squib, he is their most dangerous player and needs to be shut down. How one moment captured on camera like that can give any sort of insight into a player's courage is beyond me - every week players take similar action for a variety of reasons, self preservation is often a sensible option. You do not get to the AFL without overcoming physical hardships most of us will never encounter.

Anyway we need to stop him, Carlisle who is in sensational form, career best. Zaharakis seems to be a bit quiet the last few weeks.

My biggest worry is Paul Chapman, sort of hoping he doesn't travel which seems to be the MO with older players at times. He also has played his games in clumps - 3 games, rest, 4, rest, 3 ,rest - he has now played 4...rest maybe Chappy?

Ryder is also a worry.

I am hoping a few players who were down last week bounce back, JPK, McVeigh and Mal in particular, and I am not sure of the exact match up for Nick Smith.

Dr Larkins thinks Sam Reid is in doubt for this Friday, Thoughts on who might replace him? Id say Membrey but you probably want someone who can go second ruck. Nanka might be in for a debut! I wish they would elevate Naismith to give him a game, he has been in ripping form the last few weeks!

lol at thoughts of Heppell being a squib, he is their most dangerous player and needs to be shut down. How one moment captured on camera like that can give any sort of insight into a player's courage is beyond me - every week players take similar action for a variety of reasons, self preservation is often a sensible option. You do not get to the AFL without overcoming physical hardships most of us will never encounter.

Anyway we need to stop him, Carlisle who is in sensational form, career best. Zaharakis seems to be a bit quiet the last few weeks.

My biggest worry is Paul Chapman, sort of hoping he doesn't travel which seems to be the MO with older players at times. He also has played his games in clumps - 3 games, rest, 4, rest, 3 ,rest - he has now played 4...rest maybe Chappy?

Ryder is also a worry.

I am hoping a few players who were down last week bounce back, JPK, McVeigh and Mal in particular, and I am not sure of the exact match up for Nick Smith.
Smith will take Chappy when he is not in the centre which is not very often.

Dr Larkins thinks Sam Reid is in doubt for this Friday, Thoughts on who might replace him? Id say Membrey but you probably want someone who can go second ruck. Nanka might be in for a debut! I wish they would elevate Naismith to give him a game, he has been in ripping form the last few weeks!

Yer reckon with the short turnaround they might be cautious with him all depends how he goes Thursday at training, Membrey has to be in the box seat for a debut as we already know Horse likes to go for a like to like replacement, but you could be right they could go for Nanka as well.

Hitouts for the weekend
Pyke 21
Reid 6
Parker 3
Kennedy 1
Tippo 1

Yer reckon with the short turnaround they might be cautious with him all depends how he goes Thursday at training, Membrey has to be in the box seat for a debut as we already know Horse likes to go for a like to like replacement, but you could be right they could go for Nanka as well.

Hitouts for the weekend
Pyke 21
Reid 6
Parker 3
Kennedy 1
Tippo 1
I think it will be Nanka but geez id love to see big Sammy get a gig.

If Chopper doesn't get up I'd love nothing more than for Membrey to get a run, can't wait to see this bloke play AFL, will settle for Nanka though as it probably suits us more.

Hitouts for the weekend
Pyke 21
Reid 6
Parker 3
Kennedy 1
Tippo 1
Training is today and Fox Sports showed some vision and Reid had no strapping and was warming up etc , plus no mention in the injury report or from Lomgmire and he played out the game. Think he will be fine

Training is today and Fox Sports showed some vision and Reid had no strapping and was warming up etc , plus no mention in the injury report or from Lomgmire and he played out the game. Think he will be fine

It was Larkins after all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hasn't played for 5 weeks. Wonder if they'll risk him? Certainly won't be at his best.

Won't play all year plan is to get some miles into his legs before pre season. Fair enough. Just hasn't been fit all year. I'd be surprised if he plays a full game in the VFL this week

Shaw was in really good form prior to injury...I think he needs to return straight into the line-up as he is an important part of us when we are truly up and about. Lloyd maybe the man for a rest as everyone else is probably OK. IMO the guys under the pump is Pyke. I just don't think we have seen too much from him and he didn't really offer much around the ground last week. I know he can perform in big games yada yada but right now he may not be the best choice...alas, so who can replace him. Well, unfortunately, that may be the reason he remains....

I can't believe I managed to get the word alas into a post..!!! PB from me.

Looks like a chance to play , who else if not him.

We may just go with the same setup as last match or bring in Hardingham as the extra forward. Steinberg and Pears are also other options.

Last edited:
Yeah we were clearly a tall short last game, it was basically only Carlisle up forward and only Ryder in the ruck. And when Ryder needed a break (not very often) we had to move Hooker into the ruck - far from ideal.
Don't undersell Ambrose, he is a Crameri type but very fit and good hands and presents well. Has had a good couple of weeks, and we need him to play well.

But yeah, we were 1 tall light on last game, we'll have to bring in one. We really are lacking options though. Our choices are:
- Bellchambers - who has been injured all year and hasn't played in a long time. He'll be underdone and won't play that will/likely will get subbed if he plays.
- Pears - who we're trying to turn into a forward in the VFL which has not been successful to say the least.
- Steinberg - our best VFL player this year but is an undebuted rookie. Plus he's a defender, which would see someone like Hurley moved forward. Don't think we want to change our settled back line against your forward line.
- Hardingham - A more 3rd tall, who is actually quite small but has a fantastic leap and can go forward or back.

Suspect we'll go Bellchambers or Hardingham. Bellchambers will be an absolute decoy if he plays, simply trying to take a bit of pressure off Carlisle. Hardingham, well he'd provide pressure and go for mark of the year about 4 times.

But the key to you guys winning this game is your midfield. If you pressure us well enough (which you are known for doing) we won't be able to hit up a leading Carlisle, Ambrose etc.. going forward and we'll barely score. Bulldogs pressured us really well for 2 & 1/2-3 quarters last game, it was only when that stopped that we got on top.
At the other end, if we pressure you well (which we've been good at recently) you'll still have enough natural talent to kick a 'decent' score. If we fail to pressure you, that's where it could get ugly.

Intrigued for the game, I don't give us a lot of hope, but it's a good barometer test for us as I feel recently when we've been playing well we've tried to emulate your style a bit, at least defensively. Also a bit of a free hit for us, as with a decent run home we've all really marked this down as a loss. Sydney by 30.

Was Steinberg the player taken instead of Parker in the 2010 draft?
Yes, and some people never stop banging on about it. We wanted him, GC were going to take him at their next pick so we took him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back