Review Round 2, 2015: Box Hill Hawks v Coburg Lions, 26 April 2015, 2pm @ BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

Billy came down to chat with Schoenmakers, Brand, Spangher and Frawley at half-time and stayed with them for the third quarter. No stalker but I was watching him make his way through the crowd with his girlfriend and their dog and I'd venture to say that Billy simply didn't notice his teammates, who were all sitting down talking with each other with only an eye collectively on the game. He went up the back to speak to JML when he first arrived at the ground. I don't think there's anything sinister about Billy initially staying away from the group of Hawk players.

Near or at the end of the game, Billy ran across the ground and jumped the fence to run out the back entrance. I'm not so sure the coaches would have appreciated him tweaking a knee jumping the fence.

By the way, if you watch the Fox Sports interview with Fagan on their website, in the background to the left of the picture, you'll see Brand. The other Hawks are out of shot.

Forgot to ask when i was there, but does anyone know how much the BH guernseys are from the merch van?

I haven't looked for a few years (ever since Box Hill adopted their current guernsey which is Hawthorn's guernsey plus a little mustang on the chest) but a few years ago, I think they were about $80. Probably budget for a $100 these days.

Schoey has played two practice matches for box hill both playing forward and not really setting the world on fire and here we go he will be called upon to play defence this week. Ironically this was the first week after him playing forward the entire pre season that he started of half back its as if the coaching staff had a preemptive strike. He has pullled down 6-7 kgs looks fit and quick across the ground but will lack game touch for sure huge game for the kid

Who else though?

No Lake, Frawley or Brand. It's Schoey or Heatherley, unless they play McEvoy down back like he did for spells in the Bombers game.

Not even going to mention Rough to CHB and Hale / TOB / etc to FF....

Lads

Mark Evans was there also, spent a lot of time chatting to Spang and Fagan. Still has brown and gold in the blood. Fagan spent most of the arvo fielding q's from supporters re Clarko's bust up, but defended him to the hill.

Great writeup Mr P.

Mark Evans' son Nick played in the Development side.:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll throw my two cents in (given I was there for the opposition in an official capacity):

Howe - looks pretty handy, loved his work rate to run 100m to kick that 'shimmy' goal in the 2nd term. Has good flexibility, but needs to work on his disposal by foot under pressure

Woodward - clearly deservedly BOG, we couldn't get anyone to play him tight enough, and even when we smothered him, he still got the pill. Should be first in for Puopolo.

Anderson - has more tricks than Woodward, and kicked a couple of handy majors, but was more hot/cold that Woodward

Simpkin - torched the footy too much. Looks to play outside more than he should. You know he will be a solid citizen in the AFL team if/when required, but doesn't have the X factor of Anderson or to a lesser extent Woodward

Heatherly/Litherland - too small/slight for KPP defence at AFL level. have to play as third or 4th tall (if at all). Litherland was pretty quiet, and wasn't playing on our (Coburg's) better forwards for most of the day. I thought he'd be more of a standout. Heatherly got the job done pretty well.

Sicily - has talent, moves well, but needs to work harder. Squared his contest across the day on our third tall backman.

O'Brien - must say I was pleased to see him at CHB as it meant on less headache for our (Coburg's) backline. He seemed reluctant to rebound much, more content with working it laterally to use the wingmen/onballers to give BH drive off HB. Maybe it's a good thing to get him to play more at HB as it will help him if/when he goes forward again.

Pittonet - not bad as 1st ruck in the absence of Hale. Matched up against Goodwin (ex-BH Development ruckman) and did OK. Should learn heaps from this.

Hardisty - like the way he moves and is pretty hard at the footy.

Willsmore - could be anything this kid. Good size, runs well. Did a lot of third man up work at the stoppages, and was able to work off his wingman pretty easily all day. I reckon he will be an Isaac Smith type in another year or two.

Miles - not very busy down back (wish he had been more), so really can't comment much

Billy came down to chat with Schoenmakers, Brand, Spangher and Frawley at half-time and stayed with them for the third quarter. No stalker but I was watching him make his way through the crowd with his girlfriend and their dog and I'd venture to say that Billy simply didn't notice his teammates, who were all sitting down talking with each other with only an eye collectively on the game. He went up the back to speak to JML when he first arrived at the ground. I don't think there's anything sinister about Billy initially staying away from the group of Hawk players.

Near or at the end of the game, Billy ran across the ground and jumped the fence to run out the back entrance. I'm not so sure the coaches would have appreciated him tweaking a knee jumping the fence.

That's not stalking, just highly observant behaviour.... ;-)

I'll throw my two cents in (given I was there for the opposition in an official capacity):

Howe - looks pretty handy, loved his work rate to run 100m to kick that 'shimmy' goal in the 2nd term. Has good flexibility, but needs to work on his disposal by foot under pressure
Interesting to hear your views on Howe. He is prototype utility player who can play back, forward and midfield. Played all three positions against Footscray. Is courageous and smart mover. Yes his disposal under pressure is not there yet comes with experience and putting some weight on and building that core strength. He is a good kick in general play.

Interesting to hear your views on Howe. He is prototype utility player who can play back, forward and midfield. Played all three positions against Footscray. Is courageous and smart mover. Yes his disposal under pressure is not there yet comes with experience and putting some weight on and building that core strength. He is a good kick in general play.

From memory in finished in the top few in the kicking drill at draft camp. Keep wondering whether we have a Mundy type on our hands....

I'll throw my two cents in (given I was there for the opposition in an official capacity..
Thanks Scribe.

Good to see Tom Goodwin out there. I know he was at Port Adelaide for a while was half hoping we'd give him a rookie spot. Great competitor.

Shame to see Cale Morton running around in the VFL. How do these kids handle such a fall from grace?

Thanks Scribe.

Good to see Tom Goodwin out there. I know he was at Port Adelaide for a while was half hoping we'd give him a rookie spot. Great competitor.

Shame to see Cale Morton running around in the VFL. How do these kids handle such a fall from grace?

Tommy is a very popular fella at Coburg, and frankly he was really pumped up to play well against his old club, and is certainly enjoying senior VFL footy, and shouldering the load of #1 ruckman.

Morton just enjoys playing footy, and came back to Melbourne for lifestyle and study. The last three years he has played more state league footy (Casey and then Claremont) than AFL, so it's more a gradual slide down to the next level than a fall from grace.

As far as I'm aware he is enjoying the new environment and living up to internal (not external) expectations.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back