Autopsy Round 2 - 3 Things you Learnt vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

1- a lot can change in our week
2- mcveigh doesnt need reserves he can make an instant impact
3- reid is better back but was it more he was out of the way of the forwards? Still needs work
4 parker was not right
5 jetta plays to about 50% of his capabilities
6 smith rampe grundy are pillars of our defence with ted as support still not sold on shaw
7 goodes should look in the mirror and consider wether he retires next week
8 henney heeney heeney

Starting to whip him a bit too much now mate. Got to give it a rest because he was very good tonight and his leadership with young players and direction to them under pressure is outstanding. If somebody who could play his role was knocking the door down fine but there is not so the bloke is doing a reasonable job all things considered when you take into account his age, physical condition and the fact he done the right thing by his club and shelved retirement plans based around the trade ban.

I disagree that he was average last year his goal return alone for a third forward brings me to that conclusion but I do concede your quoted point.

He took a while to get going

Anyway i just think he should from a personal viewpoint consider how he wants to finish as opposed to what should the club do

Dont know if i want the games record holder and greatest swan i have seen subbing around being a complete shadow of himself

Starting to whip him a bit too much now mate. Got to give it a rest because he was very good tonight and his leadership with young players and direction to them under pressure is outstanding. If somebody who could play his role was knocking the door down fine but there is not so the bloke is doing a reasonable job all things considered when you take into account his age, physical condition and the fact he done the right thing by his club and shelved retirement plans based around the trade ban.

He cant kick, i don't disagree with what you say he brings to the side and his influence, but he cannot kick and that is a liability come round 8, but i think there is a spot there to utilise what he brings and minimise how often he drives it down the ground

I loved the win, i didnt say drop him, i just said his future is worth consideration

I suspect the club feels the same

They will want to bring mcglynn in

He wasn't horrible because he was old or slow, he was horrible because his skills were horrible. He will come good, but there is no place for him to find form in the 1's he has to go to the 2's and find form. We only need him for one last Goodes special on GF day.

He wasn't horrible because he was old or slow, he was horrible because his skills were horrible. He will come good, but there is no place for him to find form in the 1's he has to go to the 2's and find form. We only need him for one last Goodes special on GF day.

Picking the team on form is always sound

Just selfishly would hate to see him get to the point where he is in the twos

Thats all

Our best midfielders cant kick so what's new ?

Crap kicks in the defensive 50 are more costly

But those that cannot kick need to improve or ship off if we are to win the flag

But tonight is all about effort and the side gave that in spades tonight

Picking the team on form is always sound

Just selfishly would hate to see him get to the point where he is in the twos

Thats all

Yeah I get that, but it's either the 2's or don't play him and let him find form not playing...not sure how that would work.
I would hate to be the one making the call.

1. Clearances matter, when we win them, we win matches.
2. Tom Mitchell is still badly needed, because everyone has seen what winning clearances can do, doesnt mean you dont pick the player that can more consistantly make it happen for you.
3. We have wone 18 of our last 19 games against teams who dont have the name Hawthorn. We need tough as teak bodies against them. Round 8 I think is when we play them and it will be our litmus test.
4 Seeing our midfielders exhausted at the final siren was awesome, they gave all they had and played with heart.
5. Hanners didnt quit today like last year on Cornes.
6. Buddy and Tippet in dry conditions super impressive.
7. Towers didnt live up to his hyped attributes, speed and marking. Was times when he didnt chase and hence didnt use his speed.
8. Rohan was a junior fwd and did it well. He looked fantastic in a fwd role.
9. We need to play Reid as the 7th defender without a direct opponent if we must play him, which Inthink we shouldnt. Beaten on the lead consistantly. Deserves to be dropped and given time to learn the role in reserves. To be fair on the guy asking him to learn on the job in AFL is pretty hard, but he will be costly.
10. Im an Adam Goodes card collector, love the guy, his career has ended. He is a very poor choice for sub, noticably slower and unable to break lines anymore. I anticipate an early season retirement coming from him, otherwise he is the next ROK.
11. Somehow we keep Laidler as he is a genuine defender and drop Goodes , Reid and Towers. Whatever their roles are Rohan can do them and do them better. They are replaced by Tom Mitchell and two fans from the crowd as a lucky ticket members prize.
12. Heeney is a freak.
13. Like to see Mcveigh back, did a couple of great spoils on leading fwds in the game. That frees up structually a few spots as we need to find room for Mitchell and Mills this year / next year. Think Dunkley swings so with the above removal of goodes towers and reid for mitchell, dunkley and mills our team becomes indestructible. Ultimately reid replaces teddy at chb.
14. Not sure if I mentioned Mitchell or not yet... swans played with heart which was encouraging to see again.

Amongst other things about that game, I was very pleased that Reid played in defence for the entirety. He played a solid amount of time on Schulz too which is a good lesson for him. He certainly looks more valuable and useful there than he has in about 18 months in attack. Reid's presence in defence also allows Rampe to play on good small forwards or potentially push further up the ground. Leaving him in defence is my preference as he's becoming a very high quality defender and rebounder.

The forward line is now very, very quick. Franklin, Heeney, Towers and Rohan have a hell of a lot of space to work in atm. If McGlynn is given a more permanent spot in the forward line too, we will have a lot of pace for opposition defenders to deal with.

2. Tom Mitchell is still badly needed, because everyone has seen what winning clearances can do, doesnt mean you dont pick the player that can more consistantly make it happen for you.
3. We have wone 18 of our last 19 games against teams who dont have the name Hawthorn. We need tough as teak bodies against them. Round 8 I think is when we play them and it will be our litmus test.
4 Seeing our midfielders exhausted at the final siren was awesome, they gave all they had and played with heart.
7. Towers didnt live up to his hyped attributes, speed and marking. Was times when he didnt chase and hence didnt use his speed.
9. We need to play Reid as the 7th defender without a direct opponent if we must play him, which Inthink we shouldnt. Beaten on the lead consistantly. Deserves to be dropped and given time to learn the role in reserves. To be fair on the guy asking him to learn on the job in AFL is pretty hard, but he will be costly.
10. Im an Adam Goodes card collector, love the guy, his career has ended. He is a very poor choice for sub, noticably slower and unable to break lines anymore. I anticipate an early season retirement coming from him, otherwise he is the next ROK.
11. Somehow we keep Laidler as he is a genuine defender and drop Goodes , Reid and Towers. Whatever their roles are Rohan can do them and do them better. They are replaced by Tom Mitchell and two fans from the crowd as a lucky ticket members prize.
12. Heeney is a freak.
13. Like to see Mcveigh back, did a couple of great spoils on leading fwds in the game. That frees up structually a few spots as we need to find room for Mitchell and Mills this year / next year. Think Dunkley swings so with the above removal of goodes towers and reid for mitchell, dunkley and mills our team becomes indestructible. Ultimately reid replaces teddy at chb.
14. Not sure if I mentioned Mitchell or not yet... swans played with heart which was encouraging to see again.

I agree with a lot of that

I thought towers was good though

12. Heeney is a freak.

If we structure up like we did tonight there is no place for Mitchell. The balance was close to perfect.
We have to resign ourselves to losing Mitchell and watching him become a superstar elsewhere. Maybe Carlton will give us Henderson?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Rampe could be all australian this year

2. Lloyd is sensational. Easily cemented in the best 22.

3. Rohan looked good but made some mistakes. However is pressure was awesome

4. Jack is back

Team balance looked much better with Reid back (Goodes not starting also helped)

Rampe has gone to another level

Mcveigh's ball use was missed last week

Port are overrated

That's about all I got from semi watching on my computer while working :p

We are farking amazing!
Heeney is farking amazing!
Lloyd is ice cold, rarely cracks under pressure!
Rohan had a great game, loved his pressure acts and willingness to take on the game!
Towers best game soo far!
Buddy's soccer goal from the boundary WOW!

Sitting at Heathrow listening to the game on ABC internet and toggling between the BF match day thread and the AFL site is not the ideal way to experience this great game of ours, but it was still bloody wonderful.

1. We got it right at the selection table

2. Craig Bird good game, but don't forget to lay a shepherd for a team mate

3. Dean Towers good game, but make those tackles stick

1 : Negative Punts works
2: Reid/Laidler allows Rampe to play Mals role and boi did he
3 : Grundy is underrated
4 : I bloody told ya we were to tall forward , Towers/Rohan as defensive forwards and attacking themselves is much better ( both quick 190cm also ).
5 : Told ya Tippett should be rucking , guy is a really good ruck :)
6 : Lloyd is seriously becoming a gun
7 : Macca makes us a lot better as much as people hate to hear it.
8 : Heeney boi oh boi and Mills is better lol
9 : Best game Jack has played in some time , boi is back

Oh 1 more Teddy 3rd tall I really liked , reads the play so well. Reid still needs work ( out bodied by Monfries ) but this could work well until J White gets ahold of him lol kidding

Last edited:
1) We are 2 & 0! This buys Goodesy some time. Goodesy is perhaps our greatest ever player. This buys him some extra time. I say let him play until he calls it quits. We need to back him to make the right call as he sees fit. Adam Goodes will be the last person to just hang around because of pure selfish reasons. I trust that if after the mid season break, if things aren't going well for him, then Goodesy will easily make the right call.

In the meantime, I believe he can become the ideal sub if he gets used to the role where he can provide immediate impact. I don't believe he can play out a full game.

2) Port play a high risk game which suits our gamestyle. They run forward in groups showing their opponents little respect, much like North do.
We love that! Hawks are a different proposition. They are quick because of their accuracy all over the ground. This
Hurts us if we don't work hard for 4 Qs. As I see it, we are still 5 to 6 goals behind the Hawks. The high risk game that Port & North play can catch the Hawks out on the odd occassion but we have the low risk hard working gameplan to trump them if we can play a 4 Q game.

3) To go all the way again, whether we like it or not, we need Towers, Lloyd, Rohan, Heeney, Reid to take a stranglehold on their position in the team & back themselves to become permanent fixtures in the team. Much like Ben Matthews, Leo Barry, Fosdyke, etc did so when Roosy took over as coach.

1) Average players are perceived as superstars when we play well. Good players are perceived as s**t when we play poorly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back