Round 20 2014 - Hawthorn vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpires are taking the piss not calling that a push in the back.
That was amazing? Needed his hands to get an inch off the ground.
While I agree with both of you I think the umpires were just trying to give the viewers at home, (us), a little something. Considering that was one joke of a game.

Poppy , where does he hide his ladder? Hawthorn where did they go in the last quarter? Melbourne played a good game , are getting better all the time.
If Roughy gets one second for that trip then the league is a joke.He was looking away and trying to balance in the air a reflex action. Why on earth is it reportable.
This kind of crap ruins the game when you lose players for nothing. Then Lewis gets a body slam , no one says a thing.

But that idiot Lynch on fox he is a pain in the arse, he convicts people before any one even comments. He is a mongrel sometimes.

Well played by Melbourne. If they dropped the bundle for a quarter we would have destroyed them but they competed for the full game.

Random thoughts:

1) I really enjoyed that game, for a top v bottom predictable 8-10 goal margin match. We looked good when necessary, blah blah...Roughead might miss one, right when we don't need him to, but file that somewhere in the overflowing cabinet in the office backroom under "challenges faced this season by the Hawks"...not fazed, we'll be fine regardless...

2) If I was a Melbourne supporter, I'd be pretty happy with that. Reminds me of the types of matches the Hawks themselves would play in 2005-06, when they were rebuilding with the kids, and putting in gutsy 4-quarter efforts against vastly superior opposition they'd usually still get thumped by. Chin up, Dees fans, there's a big oncoming light at the end of the tunnel...and with any luck this time, it's not a train coming the other way...

3) On that note, I hope James Frawley stays with the Dees and doesn't cross to us. They need him. With our salary cap room brought on by Buddy's departure, I hope we can get a player from one of our top level rivals, just to really piss them off...without checking free agent or contract eligibility, Kieran Jack, Tom Hawkins, Nick Malceski, all come to mind...I kid cos I love...

4) Paul Puopolo is rapidly becoming my favourite player. Runs all day like an angry midget-sized bull every week, and taking mark of the day tonight with goal to finish it off at the end just topped it off beautifully...

Any danger of Roughy missing a week? Have to say the prospect of facing the Hawks without Rioli/Gunston/Roughy (and Buddy) does make me pretty happy.
He shouldn't, but with these rules who knows. It wasn't malicious and he was airborne trying to regain balance to land. After his ridiculous week off with his hit on McGlyn earlier anything could happen.

Random thoughts:

1) I really enjoyed that game, for a top v bottom predictable 8-10 goal margin match. We looked good when necessary, blah blah...Roughead might miss one, right when we don't need him to, but file that somewhere in the overflowing cabinet in the office backroom under "challenges faced this season by the Hawks"...not fazed, we'll be fine regardless...

2) If I was a Melbourne supporter, I'd be pretty happy with that. Reminds me of the types of matches the Hawks themselves would play in 2005-06, when they were rebuilding with the kids, and putting in gutsy 4-quarter efforts against vastly superior opposition they'd usually still get thumped by. Chin up, Dees fans, there's a big oncoming light at the end of the tunnel...and with any luck this time, it's not a train coming the other way...

3) On that note, I hope James Frawley stays with the Dees and doesn't cross to us. They need him. With our salary cap room brought on by Buddy's departure, I hope we can get a player from one of our top level rivals, just to really piss them off...without checking free agent or contract eligibility, Kieran Jack, Tom Hawkins, Nick Malceski, all come to mind...I kid cos I love...

4) Paul Puopolo is rapidly becoming my favourite player. Runs all day like an angry midget-sized bull every week, and taking mark of the day tonight with goal to finish it off at the end just topped it off beautifully...
Good post. Dees played a great last quarter, love Poppy though too. I think we switched off a bit, Clarko's probably paranoid about injuries.
Roughy? We should not lose him for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Random thoughts:

Firstly, well done on showing more class than your entire team board combined.

You're right, there were some positives to take away from that game, the biggest individual ones being Jetta, Gawn and Tyson. Michie and Riley also showed promise, but Jetta in particular is just going from strength to strength and has been something of a revelation.if Poppy is fast becoming your favourite player, Jets is fast becoming mine.

The fact we were able to pretty much even up the contest from half time, win the clearances and generally maintain a high level of intensity right to the end was a decent effort.

The easy goals leaked out the back is something that needs correcting and the composure in the forward half remains an issue, but today was a forward step in contrast to last week which was a backward one.

You're right, there were some positives to take away from that game, the biggest individual ones being Jetta, Gawn and Tyson. Michie and Riley also showed promise, but Jetta in particular is just going from strength to strength and has been something of a revelation.if Poppy is fast becoming your favourite player, Jets is fast becoming mine.

The fact we were able to pretty much even up the contest from half time, win the clearances and generally maintain a high level of intensity right to the end was a decent effort.

The easy goals leaked out the back is something that needs correcting and the composure in the forward half remains an issue, but today was a forward step in contrast to last week which was a backward one.

This post makes me sad. I watched this game and can't help walk away with the thought Roos is coaching not to win but to minimize the damage. He says really scary things like "the attack stage will come" WTF?

Now Neeld was a failure but at least he tried to teach attack and defence and had the courage to wear the huge losses not just flood and scrum to guarantee a "better loss" as Roos seem to be doing.

To me as an outsider the daemons have not improved soley based on the fact a loss regardless of intensity is still a loss. Hardwick started his career with 10 straight losses but even though his cattle was rubbish he always coached to win.... I don't see that in Roos

Now Neeld was a failure but at least he tried to teach attack and defence and had the courage to wear the huge losses not just flood and scrum to guarantee a "better loss" as Roos seem to be doing.

I'm not sure Neeld tried to teach anything.

This post makes me sad. I watched this game and can't help walk away with the thought Roos is coaching not to win but to minimize the damage. He says really scary things like "the attack stage will come" WTF?

To me as an outsider the daemons have not improved soley based on the fact a loss regardless of intensity is still a loss. Hardwick started his career with 10 straight losses but even though his cattle was rubbish he always coached to win.... I don't see that in Roos
lol..Neeld tried to teach attack did he? Down at Melbourne training grounds a lot the past couple of years?

Talk about rose coloured glasses. Everything about the side under Neeld was a total and utter debacle. How that could possibly be in dispute, I don't know.

We were playing a premiership contender today and we're a long way from being in that class. We butchered some fairly easy chances which would've made the final margin around 5 goals which considering the gulf in class is a fair effort. The performances have wavered, but the improvement is more than evident. The list will improve again next season, as will the performances.

You can think what you like really. I can see the building blocks Roos is putting into place. A vital step towards becoming a good side is firming up the defence.

Incidentally, we were good enough to beat your mob, so try not to feel too sad.

To be fair mate our board shows respect to most of the opposition, overall there is no dislike of Melbourne but it's sometimes hard not to poke s**t at a club like Melbourne. There will be a time when you will be in the opposite seat and having a right old laugh at Hawthorn, it's pretty light hearted. We certainly respect Melbourne more than Sydney!

You have some decent young talent, Gawn looks a type and Tyson is a rolls Royce. You can keep Frawley though, I don't want him anywhere near Hawthorn, over paid and under performed.

Roos has done what you expected, the only concern is the longevity of his game style, it's a real fork in the eye as a visual. Imagine showing an American a game involving the Dees as a show piece, they'd vomit.

To be fair mate our board shows respect to most of the opposition, overall there is no dislike of Melbourne but it's sometimes hard not to poke s**t at a club like Melbourne. There will be a time when you will be in the opposite seat and having a right old laugh at Hawthorn, it's pretty light hearted. We certainly respect Melbourne more than Sydney!

You have some decent young talent, Gawn looks a type and Tyson is a rolls Royce. You can keep Frawley though, I don't want him anywhere near Hawthorn, over paid and under performed.

Roos has done what you expected, the only concern is the longevity of his game style, it's a real fork in the eye as a visual. Imagine showing an American a game involving the Dees as a show piece, they'd vomit.
It's your team board. You can say what you like.

We've been within the vicinity of terrible for going on 8 years. Attractiveness is not a high priority at this point in time. Speculation on how the gameplan will evolve is just that - speculation.

People criticise Sydney for being "boring", yet somehow they have participated in two of the most entertaining games of the year (v Port and Hawks). If Sydney is the blueprint, for argument's sake, I'm not overly concerned.

The days when Sydney were a butt ugly eyesore to watch despite winning are gone. That was a phase, filling a much needed void, and they're much more fun these days. If I was an AFL coach with the task of building both the skills and tactical level needed to compete for the finals, I'd have every Sydney match on tape, with the ads cut out, on hand. You'd also have a pretty good example to watch of the third important aspect of footy, which Melbourne showed in spades last night - desire to contest and battle out the game. This on its own must give Dees supporters a bit of a buzz. The team actually looked like it wanted to be there, which surely wasn't the case once or twice when they played Geelong recently. Get the swagger, get the ball, and then do something with it...might take a while, but if Dees fans have a journey to watch like the one we Hawks supporters were privileged to see from 2005, you're about to love footy again...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back