Review Round 20, 2015: Box Hill Hawks v Williamstown Seagulls, 30 August 2015, 2.00pm @ BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

He shouldn't have to, you probably should've heard him the first time, if not definitely the second ;).

Was replying to the "say it again" reply to the echoey question.

It was funny if I had of actually quoted it properly, but a few beers on a Sunday does that to you.

BOX HILL HAWKS

Goal Kickers:
C. Williams 2, T. O''Brien, R. Schoenmakers, J. Simpkin, S. Grimley, L. Tobin, T. Miles, K. Heatherley, N. Evans

Best Players: M. O''Donnell, N. Evans, D. Willsmore, B. Whitecross, T. O''Brien

Didn't go to game today ,but a loss before the finals may be a good thing ,shows there is plenty to work on,and instills a bit of hunger ,hopefully a few back next week.

Can't win a centre clearance, gulls by 13 deep into the 4th

That was the story of the day.

Shem and Cegs were late withdrawals which was disappointing. Not enough from simpkin and o'rourke. Mitch O'Donnell was the best mid .. May have hurt his knee in the last ?

Disposal forward of the centre was poor. Highlight was the Tim O'brien mark and goal in the second term. Miles showed a bit and Whitecross was solid. Spangher appeared to get through unscathed although he did get decapitated in the second term and came back on the ground bandaged up.

Not much to write about was a scrappy affair with turnovers the norm. Williamstown wanted it more.

So Box Hill cops Footscray at home in the QF, 2pm Saturday. Partial crossover with Hawthorn v Carlton.

Hopefully we can get a few back and win some GF revenge.

Wonder if Hawthorn will rest a few in what's shaping as a meaningless encounter? This could impact BH's line-up, with a few going up...

The good news story was the solid win by the development team who are now only two wins away from completing an undefeated season. I thought JML was only fair for the first three quarters but he had an outstanding last quarter with clean marking, dash and damaging kicking. It was the best game I've seen him play. Cracker Hardisty had a very good first half which featured a great running goal and three strong overhead marks. His tackling pressure was once again a feature and he kept competing despite some heavy tagging. Zac Webster showed his usual dash and forward pressure and he kicked a great running goal from the boundary. He's a dangerous burst player with his speed and his disposal is improving. This year he's missed a lot of footy due to hamstring injuries so he wasn't as effective in the second half although this week he was able to play out the game. Lachie Langford did a couple of good things including kicking a 40 metre goal when it was needed however I think he needs to compete more strongly and run harder to provide an option.

The senior were very disappointing and the scoring shots of 27 to 18 are a far better indication of the result than the 14 point margin. The work rate of many players was poor and at 3/4 time we had only managed 2 stoppages inside our forward 50. The fact that only 5 players were listed in the best is no surprise. I would have only included Bull O'Donnell and Whitey in my best with honorable mentions to Spangh and Kurt for their strong defensive spoiling plus Miles and Simpkin for their run and carry. The delivery into the forward line was dreadful however that did not excuse the lack of offensive running to provide an option and forward pressure. I think it's fair to say Willy deserved the win because their players showed far more physical commitment to the contest. Finally the impartiality of the umpires was questionable because they "missed" too many blatant infringements.

The good news story was the solid win by the development team who are now only two wins away from completing an undefeated season. I thought JML was only fair for the first three quarters but he had an outstanding last quarter with clean marking, dash and damaging kicking. It was the best game I've seen him play. Cracker Hardisty had a very good first half which featured a great running goal and three strong overhead marks. His tackling pressure was once again a feature and he kept competing despite some heavy tagging. Zac Webster showed his usual dash and forward pressure and he kicked a great running goal from the boundary. He's a dangerous burst player with his speed and his disposal is improving. This year he's missed a lot of footy due to hamstring injuries so he wasn't as effective in the second half although this week he was able to play out the game. Lachie Langford did a couple of good things including kicking a 40 metre goal when it was needed however I think he needs to compete more strongly and run harder to provide an option.

The senior were very disappointing and the scoring shots of 27 to 18 are a far better indication of the result than the 14 point margin. The work rate of many players was poor and at 3/4 time we had only managed 2 stoppages inside our forward 50. The fact that only 5 players were listed in the best is no surprise. I would have only included Bull O'Donnell and Whitey in my best with honorable mentions to Spangh and Kurt for their strong defensive spoiling plus Miles and Simpkin for their run and carry. The delivery into the forward line was dreadful however that did not excuse the lack of offensive running to provide an option and forward pressure. I think it's fair to say Willy deserved the win because their players showed far more physical commitment to the contest. Finally the impartiality of the umpires was questionable because they "missed" too many blatant infringements.
No Langford, Jed, Howe or Woody. What was ORourke like?

Just read the depth chart. Bad apparently. This was a good opportunity for him. Oh well

Wasn't able to get to this match or even listen to it due to a social engagement so thanks to everyone for the reports :thumbsu:

Disappointing to hear we lost but not altogether surprised. Hopefully we will reload and come out firing next week for the qualifying final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back