Review Round 20 - Box Hill Hawks v Northern Blues, Saturday, 23 August 2014, 1.00pm @ BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

TV is saying probably port melbourne next week.

Itll be nice to hit them with some intensity after some of the maulings the stangers got from them a couple of years ago

Williamstown touching up Sandringham. Can't finish higher than third now.

Woody was great today, and thought Heatherley is doing some nice stuff in the backline, getting more confidence. Didn't think McEvoy or Schoey did anything today to see them back in with the seniors next week. Got the feeling that people were playing for TV today.

Geez, TOB can grab a mark, but needs to be injected with a bit of 'Dermott Brereton' confidence in his disposals, especially those dinky little kicks he tries to steer to teammates (can Stephen Dank help here?). If he had the mentality of taking the game by the scruff of the neck, his development would sky-rocket.

...Really liked Kelly's game today, best game I have seen from him this year.
This is what I like the most about BHH, the sheer commitment to developing each player. Full credit to Kelly he is doing everything he can to stay on the list. Hope we chuck him on Pendlebury next week.

Special mention to Grim. He has had an ordinary year. Thirteen goals in the last two games is a terrific effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So true. Just doesn't seem to have that inner fire that needs to be called upon when it's not his day.
So what't the thoughts - will he top the VFL goal kicking and then be delisted by us? Has he earnt another crack (given he is still a very young developing tall who is still new to the game!)?

So what't the thoughts - will he top the VFL goal kicking and then be delisted by us? Has he earnt another crack (given he is still a very young developing tall who is still new to the game!)?
Finals next week, if Grim can punch out another half dozen goals in each game he would be safe as houses.

Grim, unlike our other marginal players, has all the tools. He drops off his work rate, seems disinterested and consequently looks horrible. Would love to see how many Ks he clocked up over the last two weeks compared to his season's average.

Can't imagine he'd be delisted. At worst we'd get something of value from a trade.

As has been mentioned in these pages all year, he's a frustrating player to watch. His recent form has been impressive but let's not forget his bags in the last two weeks have come against pretty ordinary and undersized opponents. Better indicators will come against the top VFL defences in the finals.

I'd be OK with letting him go if it helped land us a young, potentially-elite midfielder. We should get by with the quality of our current forwards plus the likes of TOB and Sicily coming through, and Harry Dear possibly through F/S.

How did Schoey go?
The stuff he did was good. A chase on Armfield was very impressive. He played mainly forward and was OK.

Not in my best or worst. I would call his game a nice comfortable hit out. That is not a slight on him, it was such a one sided game it was hard to shine.

What a great weekend for Mickey's "We're the team that never lets you down". 103 AFL, 129 VFL seniors plus 119 VFL development, total 351 points certainly didn't let me down in fact I was pumped driving to the MCG.

Availability update. Mirra, Lock, O'Donnell and Thompson all expect/hope to prove their fitness this week and push for selection and also Goodwin is available following 2 games suspension. If HFC don't have any players miss through injury or rest any players there will not be a spare held back so an extra player will be available for selection at the BHH therefore there could be some very unlucky players in the BHH senior and development teams. The development team play Willy in the second semi final at 10:00am on Sunday at the Whitten Oval. The winner goes straight to the GF and the loser plays the PF.

From Box Hill Hawks FB page:

With a 7 goal haul yesterday Sam Grimley has tied for the Frosty Miller Medal as the leading goal kicker in the VFL.

Peter McEvoy also finished as the leading goal kicker in the AFL Vic Development league with 56, 23 goals ahead of his closest rival.

Congratulations boys.

Well done Sam and Little Big Boy!

Just watched a replay of this game. Quite impressed with Willsmore, Brand and Heatherley. Will all be good players once they put on a tad more weight. Sicily moves well but went missing for a while. Thought Hartung just ran around like a headless chook and burnt the ball most of the time. Perhaps he is just trying too hard. Should slow down a bit and consider what he wants to do with the ball.

Match report and highlights are up:

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2014-08-26/vfl-mcevoy-bog-in-big-win

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/video/2014-08-26/rnd20-box-hill-highlights-grimley

Interestingly, the article gives McEvoy BOG. IIRC no one on the 3WBC commentary team even gave him 1 vote! (they gave BOG to Grimley). The other two to recieve plaudits in the article are Grimley and Hartung (even though arupist thought he ran around like a headless chook). No mention of Schoey who I though played a good game :confused: Oh well, we all see things differently I suppose, or maybe as some have suggested the articles on the Hawthorn website are more of a PR exercise than anything else.

Just watched a replay of this game. Quite impressed with Willsmore, Brand and Heatherley. Will all be good players once they put on a tad more weight. Sicily moves well but went missing for a while. Thought Hartung just ran around like a headless chook and burnt the ball most of the time. Perhaps he is just trying too hard. Should slow down a bit and consider what he wants to do with the ball.
I thought the same about Hartung. He held onto the ball too long on most occasions instead of using his 1st option. Probably trying impress the Coaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back