Round 21 Adelaide V Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Understand your frustrations, score review was frightening silly.

Way I see it, if you are playing interstate, just expect a few extra frees to go against you, saves a lot of stress. No umpire is perfect, human nature

Anyway, fair result all up tonight.
I absolutely agree that no umpire is perfect. My point is that the umpires are not given a hard job by the rules over complication , they are given an almost impossible job.
It would be bloody awful to be an umpire under this administration. They have made a shamozzle out of simplicity that our game really is.

That poor young fellow on Friday when the Carlton fellow just nipped the Geelong bloke edge of shoulder and got freed against, well the film shows it was not a free. But the fact that the arm punching rule is so dependant on an individuals perception, from where he is standing makes correct or even 99% correct decisions impossible. I saw the replay of the incident, it was bad, but at that split second he called it wrong, and cost Carlton the chance to "hold on".

(That point is, that I think the arm punch rule is stupid and unfair it should be scrapped, a backman has to have some artillary , how on earth to they defend if they cannot compete.)

Geelong knows the "hold on" game perfectly, it shouldn't have happened. Why I was so annoyed last night is that this is happening more and more. There must be a way to simplify what these poor buggars have to adjudicate every second.

Couldn't agree more joondalup. It's really not that hard, they have butchered our game
Thanks tigerT
just to show you how I feel ,last year 2013 first game my club had against the Crows, their momentum was totally destroyed by an umpiring decision against Thomson from Adelaide, they had had kicked about 3 goals on the trot were on a big big roll, One of our guys gets in front of Thomson who is at half forward, the Crow jumps to mark or compete gets pinged for an infringement, don't ask me to explain it, because I was as flabbergasted as the Crow crowd. Our backman got a free , Adelaide bamboozled... Hawks on a terrible (ump) turn over ... goal , then go berserk and kill the Crows game. If that free which I don't believe was there, had been read properly then Thomson would have been shooting on goal.
I wiped my brow knew we'd got a let off and we went on with it, but I can tell you I never ever forget it because I witnessed it and the ump thought he did the right thing "UNDER THIS IDIOTIC ARM TOUCHING, PUNCHING, INCIDENTAL SHOULDER CONTACT". Its unfair but its easily fixed , allow competing. That's what is being stopped . The competition. Players get fee kicked against, for trying to compete. In many areas of our game, folks its getting worse too.

Did anyone else hear the muffled "YES!" in the commentary box as Martin kicked that last goal?
Was it Richo or Molloy?

Yeah I heard it and thought it was incredibly unprofessional. If these guys can't keep their personal bias out of their commentary, they shouldn't be allowed to commentate. Honestly when compared to other sports, AFL commentary is amateur hour. It's not just Richo either. ******* Bruce Mcavaney is just as bad with his Crows bias. It needs to stop.

The Dustin Martin 'push' at the death was all good and wasn't a free kick - Martin was too strong - I called it earlier in the quarter to my Richmond friend in the pub that I was worried about Martin...

So how are we feeling today?

I always feel a bit bummed when the Crows lose matches like that!

The Dustin Martin 'push' at the death was all good and wasn't a free kick - Martin was too strong - I called it earlier in the quarter to my Richmond friend in the pub that I was worried about Martin...

I always feel a bit bummed when the Crows lose matches like that!

Haha that wasn't what I meant (it is a given), you just seemed somewhat intoxicated from the post I quoted.

Out of interest what did you make of the identical situation in the Sydney/Port game last week with Buddy winning it with a similar push?

I absolutely agree that no umpire is perfect. My point is that the umpires are not given a hard job by the rules over complication , they are given an almost impossible job.
It would be bloody awful to be an umpire under this administration. They have made a shamozzle out of simplicity that our game really is.

That poor young fellow on Friday when the Carlton fellow just nipped the Geelong bloke edge of shoulder and got freed against, well the film shows it was not a free. But the fact that the arm punching rule is so dependant on an individuals perception, from where he is standing makes correct or even 99% correct decisions impossible. I saw the replay of the incident, it was bad, but at that split second he called it wrong, and cost Carlton the chance to "hold on".

(That point is, that I think the arm punch rule is stupid and unfair it should be scrapped, a backman has to have some artillary , how on earth to they defend if they cannot compete.)

Geelong knows the "hold on" game perfectly, it shouldn't have happened. Why I was so annoyed last night is that this is happening more and more. There must be a way to simplify what these poor buggars have to adjudicate every second.
Umpire decisions deciding games, the fundamental thing we need to avoid. Soccer is worse, a red card or a penalty decision against you is a mountain to climb. Of course the reason is scoring goals is so unlikely.

So yes, make things less technical for the umps etc. but more crucially change the rules to get back to high scoring games again. That way the inevitable bad call on the chop of the FFs arm won't be so likely to decide a game. It gets diluted.

Haha that wasn't what I meant (it is a given), you just seemed somewhat intoxicated from the post I quoted.

Out of interest what did you make of the identical situation in the Sydney/Port game last week with Buddy winning it with a similar push?

The Buddy push looked more blatant to me - Though I haven't seen a replay of the Martin 'push' since watching it at the time -

Woke up reasonably well - managed to get through footy training this afternoon :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

UNQU6Ue.jpg
******* BRILLIANT!! Well done!

Martin pushed him in the side and his right arm with perhaps a little push in the right side of his back. But hundreds of those happen without incident, I honestly think that's good body work and play on.

Martin pushed him in the side and his right arm with perhaps a little push in the right side of his back. But hundreds of those happen without incident, I honestly think that's good body work and play on.
That's right , why isn't it called and consistent all the time. That's the problem now , it might be a free it might be play on, but who knows???

That's right , why isn't it called and consistent all the time. That's the problem now , it might be a free it might be play on, but who knows???

Personally I don't think it should be permissible to put an opponent out of the marking contest before it happens - by pushing, bumping, wrestling, blocking or whatever. It wasn't always like this and is becoming more prevalent.

Every free is a lottery.

Holding the ball.
Hands in the back.
Kick not 15 metres.
Deliberate kick ,handball out of bounds.
Goal review.
Even the slide which Cotchin did legally last night but got pinged for it.

There needs to be a set agenda on paying frees that must not be adjusted game by game,week by week.

It doesn't help either that players now days drop the knees to try to get free kicks or take dives with the slightest contact to the back.

It's not purely the umpire's fault in this instance. From an angle it's hard to tell if Martin pushed him in the side or the back, and there's no clear distinction between back and side in the AFL rules anyway (and even if there were, good luck trying to guess). At first Martin was pushing on his arm which made it look like he was pushing him on his side and not his back.

Personally I don't think it should be permissible to put an opponent out of the marking contest before it happens - by pushing, bumping, wrestling, blocking or whatever. It wasn't always like this and is becoming more prevalent.

Not sure about that, jostling for position has been part of footy for pretty much it's entire history. The problem was that Martin was too strong for the defender meaning he easily fell over. But I'd be worried if AFL became a sport where outbodying an opponent was impossible. There's outbodying a player, and then there's directly pushing them in the back. The former takes strength and skill, the latter doesn't.

Regardless, Adelaide were losing when the goal happened and it was at the opposite end to their goal anyway. There was also only a minute on the clock as well in a match where Adelaide had only kicked 9 goals. So I think Adelaide fans are focusing on the wrong issue.

Not sure about that, jostling for position has been part of footy for pretty much it's entire history. The problem was that Martin was too strong for the defender meaning he easily fell over. But I'd be worried if AFL became a sport where outbodying an opponent was impossible. There's outbodying a player, and then there's directly pushing them in the back. The former takes strength and skill, the latter doesn't.

There's jostling for position and then there's getting rid of your opponent. Frankly I expected the whistle to go and I'd want it to go if Henderson was a Richmond player. I acknowledge it's dangerous ground to make it part of the rules. Nobody wants to see players allowing themselves to get jostled out of it in search of frees.

There's jostling for position and then there's getting rid of your opponent. Frankly I expected the whistle to go and I'd want it to go if Henderson was a Richmond player. I acknowledge it's dangerous ground to make it part of the rules. Nobody wants to see players allowing themselves to get jostled out of it in search of frees.
This is what I talked about before , there is what we call contesting, its what players do when a ball is in the air and they have an opponent to beat. Complicating the degree of contest is rubbish. Its why free kicks a lot of the time are not understood, by many. Including poor bloody mugs like me that thought footy was a contest. Don't talk about hands in back and light shoves in the side, they get called depending on which umpire thinks it.
A push in the back is A PUSH CLEANLY IN THE BACK FROM BEHIND. Anything else is debatable and should not be included in the rules set up for poor umpires to make guess work decisions. That is what grey rules create. Our game is simple.

Can't getting rid of your opponent be a sign of good positioning and body work? You stick Martin against a teenager and the teenager will probably fall over too. Doesn't mean Martin is illegally using his body. I thought Henderson possibly played a little for a free kick.

Can't getting rid of your opponent be a sign of good positioning and body work? You stick Martin against a teenager and the teenager will probably fall over too. Doesn't mean Martin is illegally using his body. I thought Henderson possibly played a little for a free kick.

Maybe, I haven't watched a replay. The umpire was right there and thought it was OK after they'd paid a couple of questionable ones at the other end.

A push in the back is A PUSH CLEANLY IN THE BACK FROM BEHIND. Anything else is debatable and should not be included in the rules set up for poor umpires to make guess work decisions. That is what grey rules create. Our game is simple.

That's the thing, the rule is hands in the back.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back