Review Round 21, GWS Giants vs Sydney Swans, Spotless Stadium, Saturday August 22nd, 2.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I was watching a different game to you. Treloar was nowhere near his best (granted) but he was still getting in there and getting ball. His tackles weren't sticking as well as they would and that is what we were missing most from him.

My guess is that both he and Cogs weren't 100% and they only played them because we needed them today if we were to have a chance.

Ahern is not setting the world on fire in the NEAFL yet either. I'd play Townsend or Barrett before him.

Ahern has been named an emergency the last two weeks so would say his closer to a call up then you think and with Treloar he simply isn't running both ways and no doubt that is partly due to carrying an injury and that being the case its even more of reason to look at some other guys.

The damning thing about Treloar is his lack of defensive effort and the dropping of his head when things go against him.

He's happy to do the flashy things, his ego wouldn't allow him not too, but he picks and chooses when to get involved and that isn't good enough.

If he's going then go but give everything before you leave...like Buddy Franklin did.

Despite his limitations, Treloar still has the ability to bounce off opposition players, swivel and get a kick away. Few players can, it's a rare skill. That's why it's going to hurt if he goes.

There is an injury scale. And I'm afraid ours has well and truly tipped

There was no push, no shove, no urgency today. They boys have fought on. But so many Injuries to top 22 finally hurts you

We're without at least a third of our best 22, for God's sake, we've done well to get this far without so many guns.

But it was obvious they were exhausted after half time. The defensive pressure just dried up - except for Heater. He never quits.

We're without at least a third of our best 22, for God's sake, we've done well to get this far without so many guns.

But it was obvious they were exhausted after half time. The defensive pressure just dried up - except for Heater. He never quits.
Nail
Head
Defensive pressure was pathetic... That was the obvious difference. When they won it at a stoppage they exited as easy as you like.
On Treloar, his defensive run was non existent.... To the point that they were highlighting how it directly lead to goals.

Nail
Head
Defensive pressure was pathetic... That was the obvious difference. When they won it at a stoppage they exited as easy as you like.
On Treloar, his defensive run was non existent.... To the point that they were highlighting how it directly lead to goals.

This

Ran into Dave Matthews after the game. Boy was he angry. I mean, "keep the dog away from me tonight" type angry. The boys are tired sure, but the lack of effort at times today seems to have alarmed the head shed.

I can understand from his point of view why he'd be angry.

Our biggest crowd at Spotless ever - and we don't seem to try. It would give him nightmares.

Did he say anything specific?

You have to be kidding was very underwhelming for mine

He had a very good game stats wise, which only backed up what I thought at the ground, he was a rare highlight..

For the others, I also like Marchbanks game, esp in the first half, promising signs there.
Williams showed talent poise and confidence.
Ward was at the bottom of every second pack.

Time to bring a lot of fresher faces from the NEAFL, partially because they deserve it, partially because so many in the squad look cooked, and for some of them to see what they can bring at this level

Hey all. Not here to gloat. I just wanted to say I visited your ground for the first time, and I thought the Giants put on a great show. Didn't translate to the field. But that will come.

A full house at Spotless will be a cauldron when your team is flying. All the best.

Game was obviously very disappointing, and easily the worst game I've seen us play live. There were some good off-field elements to the game however.

1) Spotless has a GREAT atmosphere when it's full. My favourite moment is the GWS club song with everyone around the stadium (well, everyone wearing orange) clapping along in time. Really good vibes on that front.
2) new record crowd at spotless for GWS. Hopefully next time they get a sell out and actually put in a performance that encourages people to come back.
3) I went to the learning life centre after the game (had to as part of the Canberra bus trip) and the facility is fantastic. Has a real family club vibe there too, with kids, players, coaching staff, even the Chairman all there mingling and chatting with fans over a sausage sizzle.
4) the bus from Canberra worked well. Trip back was a bit depressing given the result, but it was a good day out and I'd def. do it again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That VA stage NEEDS to be moved next year. Absolute prime real estate. Move it to the north western pocket.

That VA stage NEEDS to be moved next year. Absolute prime real estate. Move it to the north western pocket.

I used to sit there. It actually sucks balls for afternoon games, i.e. most of our games.

Watched the game last night and not much too say. Tired looking players, lacking run and options coming out of defence and inside 50. Also Swans looked fired up for the game
Hopefully the players can reverse the form for this weekends game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back