Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
Couldn't believe the amount of times we just bombed the ball to a West Coast defender in our forward 50 was pulling my hair out.

It was the dumbest football any side has played this year. If we had played that type of football against a top 4 side we would've been down by 50 points at quarter time.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
It says a fair bit when that wasn't even our best win against that mob in the past year or so for mine (mind you, sandwiched in between was probably our most disgusting performance against them ever outside of the 'Lecras' game).

Games against West Coast either make me feel really good, or really s**t afterwards. It looked like it was going to be the former, but turned into the latter, and boy was it satisfying :)

Played like s**t all year and the little bit of sniff of September they had was crushed after leading the whole match suffer in their jocks.

6 minutes left in the second quarter, Derm made the comment that Essendon would lose by 100 points :oops:

Yes he was 100% serious.

6 minutes in the last quarter, Derm made the comment that Essendon would lose by 100 points - lol. :oops:
Maybe Dermie should save his opinions for his U15 side cos they may give a s**t about what he says

Can confirm. Turned it on and it was the bloody Derm and Ed show. Rolled eyes ( :rolleyes: ) straight away
Not a David King fan but he seemed to be confident we would win throughout the game

Can confirm. Turned it on and it was the bloody Derm and Ed show. Rolled eyes ( :rolleyes: ) straight away
Bad day for Ed, first Essendon winning, than Joffa not having the chance to put on his $1, 20 year old fake wannabe plastic gold in colour only jacket. Life is good.

Not a David King fan but he seemed to be confident we would win throughout the game
The only one out of Derm and Dunstall who was impartial and not emotive. I got more of a thrill hearing Dunstall, Derm and Ed gasp for breath and words after the final siren. The only one missing was Gerard Healy.

I liked it when Derm was laying into Ambrose in the second quarter saying that he "should be the lead up forward", "that kick needs to go Ambrose" blah blah blah... Than Derm realised Ambrose was on the bench, and said I know he is on the bench but when he is on...

Halftimehero

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
6 minutes left in the second quarter, Derm made the comment that Essendon would lose by 100 points :oops:

Yes he was 100% serious.

Lets be honest though, if we continued to play the way we had been then it was well and truly on the cards, that first half was as bad as I have seen a team continually turn the ball over for a long long time, Matty Lloyd said on 3AW at half time that he has never seen a side play such a bad half of football and be only 4 goals behind.

The Scales

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2014
The Moral High Ground
AFL Club
Essendon
Based on what I saw of the first half (most of), I thought we were headed for a ten goal loss. Insipid and uninspired long bombs into the forward fifty to no one, and a better than 85% turnover WCE scoreline was the script we were following. The Melksham/Merret exchange was the catalyst for our recovery from this dismal potential outcome.

No access to stats during the 2nd half, and like Lord Nicholson, NFI how we pulled it off, the 38 point turnaround was remarkable. I got snippets of info from MMM, and heard the club song with a lightened heart - hoping for more results to fall our way. A first divvy on Tatts would have been the ultimate outcome, but gee, the maggots and the crows losing made for a pretty pleasant Saturday evening, imo.

This has to be a confidence boost, and a solid win next week would be a fantastic lead-in to destroying the scum in round 23. An extremely happy entry to September.

On a side note, I hope it is not possible to wear out the "like" button on BF, but you guys have been either factually accurate or funny to the point where I can't disregard your posts. In the immotal words of Jeff Fenech, "I luv youse all*"

*except Wild Bill, who would have copped a like, barring his vitriol delivered on the norf sympafy fred. GAGF, campaigner.

Awaiting deletion, and/or thread ban. Que sera, sera.

EDIT: 3 edits in 7 minutes tells me I'm probably not as coherent as I would like to think I am. "Read only mode activated". And the odd like.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Miami Heat
My take on it is... in the first half we played our game plan but we had one of the worst disposals halfs that EFC has seen in 10 years. I hope that it was just a fluke but seriously it looked like we were just trying to kick to whoever was open and didn't care if it was a WCE or EFC target.

Myers, Baguley, Watson, Hibberd, Hooker & Hurley were really the ones who kept us in it through the first half. I cannot describe how much we deserved to lose based on what I was watching. But in the back of my head I knew this was the worst football we had played in a long time and with the way we have played this year it wasn't going to keep happening...

Second half hits and BOOM, Heppell decides its game on and has a TWENTY EIGHT DISPOSAL HALF WHILE BEING TAGGED. - this is a fourth year player and an outright star in his own right already. Hope he lands top 5 in the Brownlow and it only motivates him more to elevate his game.

Baguley continues to play clutch as *. Single handedly saved between two and five goals tonight depending on how you read the play and killed so much momentum it wasn't funny. I honestly think that losing him for a week is as big as losing Hibberd or Hooker. This is a defender who won us 9 contested disposals. NINE - literally every time it went to ground he not only won the one on one but also cleanly disposed of it. I bet you're thinking "yeah JDavey thats pretty cool, but defenders are meant to do that." - guess what you ungrateful piece of s**t, he also had FOUR inside 50s. He not only clutched the defense deep inside fifty but played an amazing rebound and link up role tonight.

Zaharakis rounds out a 4 quarter game, I wouldn't say he stood out either half but I'm glad he is back to the brand of football he is playing. Cherry on top was the fourth quarter goal. Zaha on the run - can you get any more vintage then that?

Winderlich. If people want to tell others what "X-Factor" means, then show them Winderlichs second half and just nod at them every time he appears on screen. His first play on was really stupid, which dumbfounded me, but after that he was all class.

Colyer may have ran harder then anyone on the ground in that second half, to the point that he was actually able to get chased down by Shuey.
You can talk about his speed, the work he put in, the improved kicking, any of that could be described in this game but the marking in the fourth quarter was fantastic. He was the lead up person out of defense we needed to maintain the possession and had absolutely no right doing that role. Some of the marks he took were freakish.

Hooker, Hocking, Hurley all combined with Baguley to lock down that defensive fifty in the second half. We won because we prevented scoring, lets not forget that.

Touching on Ariel S on the first gamer, his disposals were s**t, the turnovers were unwarranted, and overall it made a lot of us very angry. The positives were he was at least finding the ball, and he did a lot of the small defensive things that aren't necessarily noticed correctly. If you were playing every game like that he wouldn't make the 22, but as a first gamer there were positive signs to build upon.

Up the dons, lets make finals.

Edit:

3.18 Derm: "This has the hallmarks of a, i wont say a 10 goal win, this could be a hundred pointa"

I will freely admit that I haven't the foggiest as to what actually happened in this game.
Apparently the umpires got us over the line because the AFL loves us. :drunk:

BomberBro2

Team Captain
Aug 8, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
That Jobe goal in the opening 10 seconds was the best! The captain is back! :)

The following 10 minutes was just crazy... turnover after turnover after turnover!! It was literally a case of which team could not stuff up the longest.

But once we eventually got going, we once again proved our best is very, very good. Just have to find a way to reduce the gap between our best and our worst, we make too many basic mistakes.

Yeah he got behind us and kept the faith, usually he's the opposite.

Stopher

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2012
Gippsland
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Keeping THAT forward line in perfect conditions to 19 scoring shots for the game, especially after 22 x I50's in the 1st, massive kudos to the defence which has had almost zero recognition this season but been consistently good.

Hurley fast becoming the beast we've been waiting for. And Baguley, what a ******* game!

Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
My take on it is... in the first half we played our game plan but we had one of the worst disposals halfs that EFC has seen in 10 years. I hope that it was just a fluke but seriously it looked like we were just trying to kick to whoever was open and didn't care if it was a WCE or EFC target.

Myers, Baguley, Watson, Hibberd, Hooker & Hurley were really the ones who kept us in it through the first half. I cannot describe how much we deserved to lose based on what I was watching. But in the back of my head I knew this was the worst football we had played in a long time and with the way we have played this year it wasn't going to keep happening...

Second half hits and BOOM, Heppell decides its game on and has a TWENTY EIGHT DISPOSAL HALF WHILE BEING TAGGED. - this is a fourth year player and an outright star in his own right already. Hope he lands top 5 in the Brownlow and it only motivates him more to elevate his game.

Baguley continues to play clutch as ****. Single handedly saved between two and five goals tonight depending on how you read the play and killed so much momentum it wasn't funny. I honestly think that losing him for a week is as big as losing Hibberd or Hooker. This is a defender who won us 9 contested disposals. NINE - literally every time it went to ground he not only won the one on one but also cleanly disposed of it. I bet you're thinking "yeah JDavey thats pretty cool, but defenders are meant to do that." - guess what you ungrateful piece of s**t, he also had FOUR inside 50s. He not only clutched the defense deep inside fifty but played an amazing rebound and link up role tonight.

Zaharakis rounds out a 4 quarter game, I wouldn't say he stood out either half but I'm glad he is back to the brand of football he is playing. Cherry on top was the fourth quarter goal. Zaha on the run - can you get any more vintage then that?

Winderlich. If people want to tell others what "X-Factor" means, then show them Winderlichs second half and just nod at them every time he appears on screen. His first play on was really stupid, which dumbfounded me, but after that he was all class.

Colyer may have ran harder then anyone on the ground in that second half, to the point that he was actually able to get chased down by Shuey.
You can talk about his speed, the work he put in, the improved kicking, any of that could be described in this game but the marking in the fourth quarter was fantastic. He was the lead up person out of defense we needed to maintain the possession and had absolutely no right doing that role. Some of the marks he took were freakish.

Hooker, Hocking, Hurley all combined with Baguley to lock down that defensive fifty in the second half. We won because we prevented scoring, lets not forget that.

Touching on Ariel S on the first gamer, his disposals were s**t, the turnovers were unwarranted, and overall it made a lot of us very angry. The positives were he was at least finding the ball, and he did a lot of the small defensive things that aren't necessarily noticed correctly. If you were playing every game like that he wouldn't make the 22, but as a first gamer there were positive signs to build upon.

Up the dons, lets make finals.

Edit:

3.18 Derm: "This has the hallmarks of a, i wont say a 10 goal win, this could be a hundred pointa"

My favourite bit is when Essendon won.

Maddaniher

Senior List
Jun 16, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Merrett coming on was not the main factor in our comeback. He was good, but Winderlich, Heppell and Zaharakis in particular were far more instrumental than Merrett.
Maybe not the main factor but was a major factor....I think if you look at Zerret's tackles, 2nd and 3rd efforts and clean disposal he was right up there..Can't believe he started sub after dropping 2 smalls, we were beaten for pace till the moment Zerrett came on was immense for an 18 yo...

Baguely just reached Mark Johnson levels, that mark on the burst where he left Darling for dead and hit Winders up Wow...

Bomber is so tired poor fella...but he's right, the players deserve something..bring it on...

Back