Opinion Round 22 Changes vs. Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure about these next 2 games. The lions although no easy task, we should get through, but I'm really concerned about Port. They will typically be back to fill strength by next week and we will be missing our best 2 mids. Are you guys confident we can beat port without those 2 ? I just can't believe the timing of the Fyfe and Barlow stuff :(

Well Lions worry me TBH - at home, saying fairwell to the last of their three-peat generation, we're missing our two best on-ballers. But if we're disciplined tight and play to our strengths we should still get the W.

As for Port, they're building nicely and will be red hot to knock us off in two weeks, they get Trengrove this week, one of their most important players - they'll get back to their confident fast attacking best this week at home vs Carlton with Monfries back in too, then come over to us chomping at the bit knowing they'll have every chance for our 4th spot coming off and extra 2 days break while we will be on 6 day turnaround and the longest flight in AFL ... I'm not saying we can't beat them, but I think we're going to have to pull off something special to get it done.

Still, back to cliches: A week is a long time in footy - lets just see how it pans out.

One thing is for sure we need our best pressure on for the next 2 games. We have seen it the last game and a quarter. I just hope none of the players are looking too far forward to finals

I'd say it'll end up
Duffy out for Ballaz
Fyfe out for Suban
Barlow out for MDB
Not sure about Ibbo
Good chance for Tabs against a inexperienced defence. Our 2nd string mids should be too good. 5/6 goal win!

Can't believe I'm saying this but just wish the weekend would come and finish already - all the pieces are moving to massively challenge us this weekend... players retiring, 6-day breaks, our players injured/suspended. The only different between now and earlier this year is will and determination - if we apply the level of pressure we've inflicted the last couple of weeks the game will be over by half time.

And we've got those two little buggers running around, Ballantyne and Sunny Whatsits.

Can't believe I'm saying this but just wish the weekend would come and finish already - all the pieces are moving to massively challenge us this weekend... players retiring, 6-day breaks, our players injured/suspended. The only different between now and earlier this year is will and determination - if we apply the level of pressure we've inflicted the last couple of weeks the game will be over by half time.

And we've got those two little buggers running around, Ballantyne and Sunny Whatsits.

"He's handy." - Lyon

Suban and balla in for fyfe and barlow.

Edit: that's what I reckon I mean.

Last edited:

I hear ya, if only we didnt drop that Saints game we wouldn't be worrying as much.

So frustrating.

Sorry for the intrusion guys, but do you know if your boys are training this morning?
Got the day off and might pop down to see how the guys are travelling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they have to play Ibbotson because at his best he is in our best 22. If he doesn't play this week, then he won't play this year.

Ballas is an automatic in so that is who I have would have replacing Barlow and Fyfe. This would mean Crozier, Sheridan, D Pearce, Walters and co pushing more into the midfield.

The other change I would consider swapping is Duffy for Suban\de Boer, but Duffy would be very unlucky but this would add more midfielders to the team.

Sorry for the intrusion guys, but do you know if your boys are training this morning?
Got the day off and might pop down to see how the guys are travelling.

Afterwards, if you have the time, are you able to flick us a quick review of how everyone looked, any noticeable absentees etc?

I think they have to play Ibbotson because at his best he is in our best 22. If he doesn't play this week, then he won't play this year.
Very good point, I just feel they are going to rest Johnson. Lions are a nimble team on the outside and Ibbo gives us a bit more flexibity on smallish players. The Port result tonight could have a bearing as well.
They also may feel that a ruck duo of Clarke/Hannath will do better against Martin who is sole ruck and will certainly outpoint Sandi around the ground.

I don't think there's any point in doing this. It's pretty clear which of the two is better.

I'd suggest it's a reminder that clarke better keep up the effort he showed in the hawks game else there's a replacement ready to go.

I certainly hope so because hannath's pace in our forward line is a serious liability. Hasn't shown much effectiveness as a ruck at afl level yet either. Can provide a contest. But id be hoping for more than that from a ruck.

I don't think Hannath wouid work either, but we know which out of he and Clarke was better last year. Thankfully, with Taberner in the team Clarke is less important, so his lack of contribution won't affect the team as much. Hope Apeness comes through nice and quick or Clarke pulls his finger out. I don't care which. I'm not personally invested in who plays. They dropped one of my favourite players, in Suban, last week and I thought it was totally justified.
p.s Clarke's effort was ok last week.

Last edited:
Saints game aside which was merely an outlier, if we can't beat Brisbane without Barlow or Fyfe then the FFC future is pretty bleak and a bit of a worry.

Not trying to sound cocky saying it will be a walk in the park, a lot of respect to Brisbane but I think the experience of the other players should get them over the line. It's going to take a team effort and with the other boys brimming with confidence after Hawks game they should get up.

Saints game aside which was merely an outlier, if we can't beat Brisbane without Barlow or Fyfe then the FFC future is pretty bleak and a bit of a worry.

Not trying to sound cocky saying it will be a walk in the park, a lot of respect to Brisbane but I think the experience of the other players should get them over the line. It's going to take a team effort and with the other boys brimming with confidence after Hawks game they should get up.

Because let's not get hyperbolic about it.

Because let's not get hyperbolic about it.

What I mean is, we shouldn't have to rely on these players to get us over the line. Time for the likes of Neale, Hill (as he's done) et al to really take the game by the scruff of the neck.

Great practice for finals time too!

What I mean is, we shouldn't have to rely on these players to get us over the line. Time for the likes of Neale, Hill (as he's done) et al to really take the game by the scruff of the neck.

Great practice for finals time too!

Certainly, we shouldn't be that heavily reliant on 1 or 2 players (I don't think we are, at least not these two in particular). And this is definitely a game we should be winning.

Our on field future as a footy club being concerning/bleak if we lose this one, though, is a bit of stretch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back