Preview Round 22 Changes vs. Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

D. Pearce could die on-field and he'd still get picked the next week

Weekend at Bernie's style?

Weekend-at-Bernies-07.jpg

Can't see what we gain by playing Duffield again, far too slow and a shadow of his former self.

Playing Sheridan in Duffields position is useless, as its the same output. We need Sheridan in the midfield where he can excel.

What people forget is that Duffield is a good footballer with brains and good accuracy which we have lacked.

I think the fact D Pearce hasn't been dropped reflects the confidence they have in Hill abilities.

The only reason not to drop him is to ensure Hill gets some freedom and for the meters gained.

I think the fact D Pearce hasn't been dropped reflects the confidence they have in Hill abilities.

The only reason not to drop him is to ensure Hill gets some freedom and for the meters gained.
How does Pearce playing like s**t free up Hill?

I don't really buy this anymore tbh. Has anyone seen the space the opposition allows Pearce every week? If anything it's the other way around, the opposition focus more on Hill (understandably) because they're not worried about Pearce getting a lot of the footy.

How does Pearce playing like s**t free up Hill?

Even though he plays like s**t the opposition still worries about him as his meters gained is high.

I can't think of any other reason to play him else wise.

I don't really buy this anymore tbh. Has anyone seen the space the opposition allows Pearce every week? If anything it's the other way around, the opposition focus more on Hill (understandably) because they're not worried about Pearce getting a lot of the footy.

Then I would think he is only in the side for meters gained which he usually equals Hill for. I suppose even with bad meters gained he helps us create a forward/midfield press. I have been saying for awhile he needs a rest, no idea why he is never afforded this.

I felt his season last year was more consistent, this year after the first 10 games its turned horrible. Hope he hasn't burned himself out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

about 4 weeks back I said no more Duffield and Mzungu as they are past their prime. if both play I think the ole panic button is not far away. our form has hit rock bottom for this year. got to make a stand and gets some flow and confidence. Walters has been carrying the hopes of the team .hope he stays sound and in form because if he goes we have a massive uphill battle to just win a final, let alone 3

We have no choice with D. Pearce, he's so vital to our finals campaign and could be the difference between winning a flag or not.

I've rewatched the first 8 games and is form was scintillating for a lot of it. His feed from the midfield to forward line is the reason we kicked so many first half goals that put teams away.

This is a good point. Maybe it's coincidence, but our four losses have been when D. Pearce has had probably his worst 4 games of the year. Could be a bit of the chicken/egg scenario, especially for a receiver who might struggle if the side is getting beaten in general. Whatever the case, there is a reasonably high correlation between Pearce and the team's form, and an in-form Pearce is important.

Clancee was also killing it in the early season. We really need him to find that form again. Hoping these young blokes like Langdon or Weller come in and do something good ... you just can't expect them to do much at all apart from a small cameo. But the Pearces have shown they can be strong contributors.

Look at that stretch from Rd 5-8. When you have our core mids (Mundy, Fyfe, Barlow, Hill, Neale) doing their thing, then add 25 touches from the Pearces, that's when we actually resemble a flag winning side. I honestly don't think we can trouble WC and Hawthorn unless the Pearces come to the party. There's only so much our main 5 mids can do, they need support.

Then I would think he is only in the side for meters gained which he usually equals Hill for. I suppose even with bad meters gained he helps us create a forward/midfield press. I have been saying for awhile he needs a rest, no idea why he is never afforded this.

I felt his season last year was more consistent, this year after the first 10 games its turned horrible. Hope he hasn't burned himself out.

I agree. Pearce moves the ball quick and long at almost every opportunity and I think it's been clear that Ross wants us to play that way more often this year. Pearce and Hill follow out his directives perfectly I reckon.

The issue with Pearce is stage fright, and huge lapses mid-game (or quarter) which result in costly turnovers. He's a very direct player but has pretty poor awareness which leads to getting run down frequently. His decision making when confronted with heavy traffic is also questionable. He is generally money when it comes to goals on the run, and to his credit has kicked more this season than his previous years. He's also capable, although not often enough for my liking, of laser passes inside 50 which sit perfectly to our forward's advantage. Massive, massive tease.

As Alfonz pointed out he is a huge barometer for our team, like it or not, and given there's no way he's getting dropped anytime soon I'd say he's going to be one of our most important players this finals series. One way or the other.

He's such a dick. That way anything less than a 22 goal win is us underachieving...
He is such a campaigner as well, adjudicates on possible MRP issues during a game with absolute guesswork and keeps rehashing it on Twitter..

He is such a campaigner as well, adjudicates on possible MRP issues during a game with absolute guesswork and keeps rehashing it on Twitter..

This might seem an exaggeration, but he's the most incompetent person associated with the footy media. I say associated because I can't bring myself to see him as a credible journalist.

Can't see what we gain by playing Duffield again, far too slow and a shadow of his former self.

We gain an accurate, smart, dependable user of the ball. I would loved to have had him playing last week.

Having said that, his card is stamped, clearly RTB has moved on to the more speedier and almost as good with ball in hand Sherro (and Sutty to a degree), and I think it's the right move, but I think people forget how good Duffield has been for us in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back