Preview Round 22 Changes vs. Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have no choice with D. Pearce, he's so vital to our finals campaign and could be the difference between winning a flag or not.

I've rewatched the first 8 games and is form was scintillating for a lot of it. His feed from the midfield to forward line is the reason we kicked so many first half goals that put teams away.

The problem is that it's becoming a bit of a pattern. This is his third year here, every year he's started quite strong (even his first year), and generally gotten worse as the seasons progressed. First year was a bit different, he was a bit patchy early, but had a good middle of the season before again becoming a bit
'average' to poor as the season wound down.

But, yeah, you're right. People forget that he can and definitely has been a very potent player for us and for good stretches. He just needs to bring it at the business end of the season - he unfortunately does not have a track record of doing so (generally speaking).

Have you forgotten about Mark Stevens?

He's just a troll. Like Mike Sheehan or Sam Newman.

We gain an accurate, smart, dependable user of the ball. I would loved to have had him playing last week.

Having said that, his card is stamped, clearly RTB has moved on to the more speedier and almost as good with ball in hand Sherro (and Sutty to a degree), and I think it's the right move, but I think people forget how good Duffield has been for us in the past.

Probably shouldn't be commenting given I'm a tad rabidly anti-Duffield and therefore not particularly balanced, but how far back in the past are we going? His much vaunted precision kicking just wasn't there for most of the games he played early on, I'd say it was a bigger reason behind his demotion than his soft defensive efforts.

That said, he's just had one of the biggest shocks in his career, under Ross at least. Has been dropped before but never for this long, I retain some optimism that when he finally earns his way back in we'll see a reinvigorated, better Paul Duffield. For the same reason I'm ok with Clarke coming back in, as silly as his suspension was I think he's served his penance and at least deserves another chance before the year is out to redeem himself.

Playing Sheridan in Duffields position is useless, as its the same output. We need Sheridan in the midfield where he can excel.

What people forget is that Duffield is a good footballer with brains and good accuracy which we have lacked.

I have been pretty harsh on Duffield, so I went and checked his stats and he had a solid start to the season. However, you notice the significant drop away after the Melbourne game with that stinker of a performance against Richmond. I hope for his sake he puts in a good performance this week, as he might not get another go at it.

Jon Ralph has picked us to win by 134 points.

He is a bloody idiot. It will be close on Sunday. If we do win, it will be in the last quarter when we run Melbourne off their feet.

Probably shouldn't be commenting given I'm a tad rabidly anti-Duffield and therefore not particularly balanced, but how far back in the past are we going? His much vaunted precision kicking just wasn't there for most of the games he played early on, I'd say it was a bigger reason behind his demotion than his soft defensive efforts.

That said, he's just had one of the biggest shocks in his career, under Ross at least. Has been dropped before but never for this long, I retain some optimism that when he finally earns his way back in we'll see a reinvigorated, better Paul Duffield. For the same reason I'm ok with Clarke coming back in, as silly as his suspension was I think he's served his penance and at least deserves another chance before the year is out to redeem himself.

Yeah, his form earlier in the year wasn't scintillating. No doubt his softness has always been an issue, especially 1-on-1, but it's not (generally) been cause for being dropped in the past ... and yeah, have to concede that his 'ball in hand game' wasn't that great this year even when in.

I suspect, and it's only a theory, that the reason he was dropped is that he simply wasn't attacking enough. He wasn't creating the drive that his position needs to do in the 2014 version of RTB game plan.

BTW, for an rabid anti-Duffield poster, that was very restrained ... I commend you. :)

The problem is that it's becoming a bit of a pattern. This is his third year here, every year he's started quite strong (even his first year), and generally gotten worse as the seasons progressed.

People just rate him overly harshly on here. A few weeks ago people were calling for him to be dropped (like every week) while the club had named him in the best afield.

Gutted Brady Grey is not on the team sheet. As I said previously, I would love Grey to get a game, even if it was up forward. Grey will replace Duffield. Hoping Langdon gets his debut game too. Pav going to play at 100%? If not, might as we let Taberner in. Gives us a tall to kick to along with Griffin.

The problem is that it's becoming a bit of a pattern. This is his third year here, every year he's started quite strong (even his first year), and generally gotten worse as the seasons progressed. First year was a bit different, he was a bit patchy early, but had a good middle of the season before again becoming a bit
'average' to poor as the season wound down.

But, yeah, you're right. People forget that he can and definitely has been a very potent player for us and for good stretches. He just needs to bring it at the business end of the season - he unfortunately does not have a track record of doing so (generally speaking).

basically (in terms of his role and how supporters view him) he is the new Des Headland.

This is a good point. Maybe it's coincidence, but our four losses have been when D. Pearce has had probably his worst 4 games of the year. Could be a bit of the chicken/egg scenario, especially for a receiver who might struggle if the side is getting beaten in general. Whatever the case, there is a reasonably high correlation between Pearce and the team's form, and an in-form Pearce is important.

Clancee was also killing it in the early season. We really need him to find that form again. Hoping these young blokes like Langdon or Weller come in and do something good ... you just can't expect them to do much at all apart from a small cameo. But the Pearces have shown they can be strong contributors.

Look at that stretch from Rd 5-8. When you have our core mids (Mundy, Fyfe, Barlow, Hill, Neale) doing their thing, then add 25 touches from the Pearces, that's when we actually resemble a flag winning side. I honestly don't think we can trouble WC and Hawthorn unless the Pearces come to the party. There's only so much our main 5 mids can do, they need support.

X1000.

Gutted Brady Grey is not on the team sheet. As I said previously, I would love Grey to get a game, even if it was up forward. Grey will replace Duffield. Hoping Langdon gets his debut game too. Pav going to play at 100%? If not, might as we let Taberner in. Gives us a tall to kick to along with Griffin.
The kid must be wondering what he's gotta do to get a gig. A lot of talk about his disposal but I don't believe he is any worse than quite a few of the senior listed players getting regular games. It's about time he got a shot at the big time - his effort and courage is second to none. Would be a welcome injection of some energy, guts and determination!!!

Crows win and we win and they will all probably play against Port Adelaide next week.

Duffield was dropped a few years ago and came back in a game vs Adelaide in Adelaide. He laid a hip'n'shoulder and the Adelaide player came off second best! Probably the last solid defensive effort since though.
Everybody was complaining about poor skills last week and Duff can fix that. Expect to lose some 50/50 contests though. I guess we can't have it all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Duffield could perhaps take Pearce's spot on a wing.

This is the only think I could think of.... Though wasnt he played a little higher up the ground early in the season when he couldn't get a kick?

I would take him kicking to a leading forward over Danyle every time though! When Pearce has the ball and pav is leading its like watching a car crash in slow motion... You know what's going to happen but can't stop him from kicking behind or over pavs head.

On the contrary I felt in the first 8 rounds his kicking (along with C and D Pearce) was incredible. In fact against Sydney, WCE and NM we were averaging around 85%-90% Disposal Efficiency with all of those guys accumulating a lot of the footy.

Last year he was good. I agree with you though. You can handle him being softer if he is getting the ball and putting it to advantage.

With Duffield I think if you get 12+ kicks and 20+ possies out of him it's a good return given his ball use. Last year he would do that every couple of weeks and it would really help us. He started this year strong and then just went down the gurgler, absolutely deserved the dropping.

Personally i'd rather Clancee down back than Duff but I am turgid for Clancee.

Fremantle skipper Matthew Pavlich will be right to play against Melbourne on Sunday provided he gets through some speed testing on Friday, says coach Ross Lyon.

Pavlich missed last week with Achilles soreness but he has trained this week and has been named in the squad to face the Demons at Domain Stadium.

Dockers youngster Ed Langdon looks likely to make his AFL debut on Sunday. With Nat Fyfe (leg) and Hayden Crozier (omitted) out of the team, Lyon said Langdon was a strong chance to make his debut after performing well at WAFL level.

Langdon, the younger brother of Collingwood's Tom Langdon, was drafted to Fremantle with pick No.54 in last year's NAB AFL Draft.

Clancee Pearce is also a chance to return in the midfield. There is wet weather expected in Perth over the weekend and Lyon admitted that is likely to count against key forward Matt Taberner making the final 22.

Fyfe was not at training on Friday. He will do some cross training for a short period to allow the inflammation in his left fibula to settle down. Lyon said he was very confident Fyfe will be right to go for the first final.

Langdon to debut, is a waste of time this stage of season imo.

Should of stuck with Crozier, who can actually play in the finals.

Langdon to debut, is a waste of time this stage of season imo.

Should of stuck with Crozier, who can actually play in the finals.

He had his chance tbh. Played 6 games in a row, kicked 4 goals...and went goal-less in Four of those six games. Subs especially are designed to kick one goal since they have fresh legs (last year our subs kicked goals). He's averaged 9 disposals over the last six games. Even Ballaz would come under scrutiny. I would have rather Weller or Blakely however they've been sick or injured in the last week.

He had his chance tbh. Played 6 games in a row, kicked 4 goals...and went goal-less in Four of those six games. Subs especially are designed to kick one goal since they have fresh legs (last year our subs kicked goals). He's averaged 9 disposals over the last six games. Even Ballaz would come under scrutiny. I would have rather Weller or Blakely however they've been sick or injured in the last week.

Harsh, given the chance he was given isn't much.

Its melb we're playing, makes no sense to drop him; if he stunk it up against Melb rightfully could be dropped.

Harsh, given the chance he was given isn't much.

Its melb we're playing, makes no sense to drop him; if he stunk it up against Melb rightfully could be dropped.
It makes plenty of sense and sends a clear message to him "You haven't performed, go back and work"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back