Autopsy Round 22 Sydney Swans vs Saints. Three things you learnt

Remove this Banner Ad

Well Hanners need 7 coaches votes to win the AFLCA award or 6 to share it with fyfe, hope he wins it.
He may be overrated but if he wins that and the Brownlow, who really cares? :p

Coaches' votes

ST KILDA V SYDNEY
9 – Daniel Hannebery (Syd)
9 – Josh Kennedy (Syd)
6 – Heath Grundy (Syd)
4 – Kurt Tippett (Syd)
1 – Tom Mitchell (Syd)
1 – Dane Rampe (Syd)

Simple breakdown:
Hannebery - 5, 4
Kennedy - 5, 4
Grundy - 3, 3
Tippett - 2, 2
Mitchell - 1
Rampe - 1

Question is which coach gave Mitchell 1 and which coach gave Rampe 1 (No double entendres please)

From those ratings it seems both coaches have assessed Mitch's impact on the game in a similar way, its not like one coach gave him 5 and the other 0.
I was at the game, certainly my humble footy opinion is that Hanners, Tippett, JPK and Grundy all had a far greater impact on the game then Mitch, there wasn't really much left for rest to fight over. To be honest, I thought Mitch was good but Rampe was great on Bruce so no problem in my book with the votes.

Jul 9, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Horse would of gone rampe
At the risk of being howled down, hanners is becoming one of the overrated players in the league

Not much risk there. Well not around here. Judging by our POTY thread this week, you are clearly in the majority.

As a relative newb to this great game, I need to understand how a player who gets gets first bite of the Sherrin at nearly every stoppage, manages 33 possessions @ 51.5% for a nett of 17 effective disposals, is viewed so glowingly and hanners, with 39 @ 66.7% is under the spotlight. I get that stats aren't everything but..... Maybe if Dan had been discarded by the Hawks, he may be held more dearly around here.

I dont deny that hanners is my fave swan, and I have been disappointed with some of his efforts in recent weeks. I think he is an instinctive player and needs to be positioned accordingly, in situations where he doesn't need to think.... just win the ball, clear it and run like hell to the next breakdown/contest.

Not much risk there. Well not around here. Judging by our POTY thread this week, you are clearly in the majority.

As a relative newb to this great game, I need to understand how a player who gets gets first bite of the Sherrin at nearly every stoppage, manages 33 possessions @ 51.5% for a nett of 17 effective disposals, is viewed so glowingly and hanners, with 39 @ 66.7% is under the spotlight. I get that stats aren't everything but..... Maybe if Dan had been discarded by the Hawks, he may be held more dearly around here.

I dont deny that hanners is my fave swan, and I have been disappointed with some of his efforts in recent weeks. I think he is an instinctive player and needs to be positioned accordingly, in situations where he doesn't need to think.... just win the ball, clear it and run like hell to the next breakdown/contest.

Footskills of our midfield is an issue against the best

Theres really only jetta at the moment, mcveigh and lloyd have not kicked as well, but our guns, kennedy parker hanners, even kjack all like to butcher it by foot

I have been impressed with bjacks kicking

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can see why freo look at the resting option
I can get the philosophy of it, but with the exception of playing the witches hats that is Melbourne last week their form has been quite poor. I would have thought they need to play themselves into a bit of form this week on the back of the dees win, not unlike us over the past few weeks. Ross may well be doing us a favour.

For me its a 50/50 proposition, I guess time will tell if its the right call or not.

I can get the philosophy of it, but with the exception of playing the witches hats that is Melbourne last week their form has been quite poor. I would have thought they need to play themselves into a bit of form this week on the back of the dees win, not unlike us over the past few weeks. Ross may well be doing us a favour.

For me its a 50/50 proposition, I guess time will tell if its the right call or not.

Would i do it ? Dunno

But i dont think its an issue they are doing it though like some seem to

Rather it that way tbh, just keep everything off of us for now and let them underrate us because that's what brings the best out of the players and the coaching staff I suppose.

They are flogging over the crows

May 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Grundy used to be our whipping boy, he's been so good an consistent this year that I've grown love for the big man, what a solid defender, an rampe has made up for that horrible mo with some good play, players like Josh Bruce, gunston, an stringer are ideal for ramps, I honestly feel lucky we have him sometimes, especially with mal gone

Sketi

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2011
depreston
AFL Club
Sydney
Watched the replay this arvo. Really watched Mitchell, and yeah he got a heap of touches and kicked 2 goals, but a good amount of his kicks were absolute tripe floaters that went straight to saints defenders. And he definitely has no right boot.

He'll be fantastic if he could just clean up his kicking. Rest of his game is A grade.

My only qualm from yesterday's effort.

On to the suns

OK just gave the replay watch, really not sure if we are talking about the same game.

I counted 3 inside 50 marks from Mitchell kicks (hit Cunningham lace out, Tippett and Pyke).

Couldn't keep count of the targets hit around the ground as they were plentiful, but most of them were aggressive / attacking kicks too, one notable one opened up the play brilliantly and led to a coast to coast goal to Tippett. Kicked 2 goals.

Can only a couple that went to Saint defenders (one a long bomb which went to three Saints defenders which is likely the one that stuck in your mind), but they were very much the minority, unlike Hanners (the norm). But he lead the team for kicks with 20 so we can forgive one or 2 can't we.

So yeah, stand by comment on the first page that I think he is emerging as one of of our more dependable midfielders by foot, your post literally looks copy and pasted from 2014.

Not saying it's perfect by any stretch but definitely improving.

OK just gave the replay watch, really not sure if we are talking about the same game.

I counted 3 inside 50 marks from Mitchell kicks (hit Cunningham lace out, Tippett and Pyke).

Couldn't keep count of the targets hit around the ground as they were plentiful, but most of them were aggressive / attacking kicks too, one notable one opened up the play brilliantly and led to a coast to coast goal to Tippett. Kicked 2 goals.

Can only a couple that went to Saint defenders (one a long bomb which went to three Saints defenders which is likely the one that stuck in your mind), but they were very much the minority, unlike Hanners (the norm). But he lead the team for kicks with 20 so we can forgive one or 2 can't we.

So yeah, stand by comment on the first page that I think he is emerging as one of of our more dependable midfielders by foot, your post literally looks copy and pasted from 2014.

Spot on

The mitchell kicking issue is a myth (well by sydney standards)

Sketi

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2011
depreston
AFL Club
Sydney
Spot on

The mitchell kicking issue is a myth (well by sydney standards)
Yeah look I acknowledge when I say he is one of out better kicks it's not an ideal situation :p but plenty other blokes butchering it far more.

BTW, on second watch Teddy wasn't as bad as I first thought, just had a couple of moments.

Yeah look I acknowledge when I say he is one of out better kicks it's not an ideal situation :p but plenty other blokes butchering it far more.

BTW, on second watch Teddy wasn't as bad as I first thought, just had a couple of moments.

Teddy was good, bit like goodsey occasionally slow, he turned into trouble a few times just unaware of pressure.

But him rampe grundy and lAidler were intercepting a lot

Back