Club Legend
Aug 28, 2014
Perth WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats
portfreo1.jpg

NOTE: Please enjoy my banner that I slaved away making on Microsoft Paint, when I could be taking selfies or reviewing various bank loan rates so I could purchase some track pants from the Port Store.

Port Adelaide Pear (Richmondth) vs Fremantle Dorkers (Minor Premiers)

Saturday September 5 2015 @ 15:20 (CST) The Portress

Background

What a season, eh? What was meant to be a Grand Final berth for the mighty PAFC, left all those within the club and the true believers alike in complete shock and awe, as not even a Finals series shall we see/participate in. In essence, in front of us is what has been in front of us for many weeks... nothing to lose. Admittedly, there is nothing much to gain apart from the self-belief that we are a team to be feared and a team that will be back stronger than the breakout 2014 season, next year (#YesWeKen2016).

The word here in the West is much like what most of you anticipate - Ross Lyon may be dropping up to half his side to rest them in preparation of Finals. What smart coach wouldn't do that? Risking travel fatigue and injury, when you are guaranteed top-of-the-ladder perks would just be stupid.
And so, having won 5 of its last 6 matches, the Power look to finish the season strong, and send fans happy over the extra long break, by smashing a B-grade Fremantle side, much like the Saints did in Round 23, 2013 (or like what we did to the Tigers in the Elimination Final of season 2015).

Head to head

Played 30
Port Adelaide 16
Fremantle 14

Current odds

Port Adelaide $1.30
Fremantle $3.40

Last time v Fremantle

Round 1, 2015 - Domain Stadium WA
Fremantle 11.9 (75)
def
Port Adelaide 10.8 (68)

I was there for this one and boy-oh-boy-wowwee-Darc, it felt like a Final! Fremantle were out for revenge on the knockout they received in the 2015 Semi-Final, and after many lead changes, they eventually prevailed. Rather than post the video of the loss we experienced last time (which you can easily find yourself), I'd rather post a gem of a video of what we CAN do to a FULL STRENGTH Fremantle side...

"Pure Unadulterated Thrills"

Look out for

- Karl The Excitement Machine
- The AhChee Left-handed handball
- How Clutch Wingod scores his 3 goals
- 2 Shades of Gray
- Chokito in the crowd (I'm flying over for this one)

Prediction

Since every game I have attended at Adelaide Oval has has massive first quarter blowouts, I'm going to predict that my onesie will bring some flair (woooooo!) to the game, and couple this with an undermanned B-Grade Fremantle squad taking the field leading to...

Port Adelaide to win by 65 points.

(If full strength Fremantle does take the field, then I still say we win, but maybe by 15 points)

P.S. if anyone is coming to the game and sees the CHOKITO onesie, give us a holler... maybe a selfie...

Purple Man

Premium Gold
Jun 26, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brumbies, Minnesota Vikings
It's been said elsewhere but thread name should be Port Adelaide Power vs Peel Thunder. But in any event congratulations on your 6-8 goal win.

Last edited:

scottjr

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Freo $3.40. There will be an enquiry Hoping they just rest a few.

For my part I hope the AFL tells Lyon to get ****ed today and that he can only pull a maximum total of one player out with "general soreness" and that everyone else needs to play to the line. Why? Because at the start of the year all we heard from Fremantle is how they had upped their running by 40% to match it with us in Round 1. Now there seeing what happens when you do that by being fatigued at the business end of the season and they want to skip on paying the bill? "Oh it doesn't affect anyone." Bullshit - the only reason Fremantle are where they are is because they spent their fuel tickets early. Conversely, one of the reasons why we are where we are is because we didn't get the confidence boost a Round 1 win at Subiaco would have given us.

They should be made to bring their best squad, and we are going to smash them by 40+ and destroy their fabricated chances for a premiership thanks to their piss easy draw by bombing their confidence back to the Stone Age as their tired, age weary players don't get the chance of an easy game.

Of course, if the AFL grants their request, as I suspect they will, then it's just another example of how dishonest the entire process has been all year. I'll be getting on 100+ if that's the case, to repay in kind the disrespect that both Fremantle and the AFL will be showing for us and the integrity of the competition.

Lol...I think you need a sit down in a quiet room bro.

I'm looking forward to your straight sets exit out of the finals just like last year, bro. Your players can have all the rest they want then.

No other team in the past ten years has needed to rest players a week before finals. Not the AFL's fault you can't manage your list and their fatigue. That's the whole point of the home and away season - it's not just about wins and losses, but about who can win enough games to get into the finals while still having enough in the tank to make a fist of it when the whips are cracking.

Should have rotated players through the season if you wanted to give them a rest, bro.

May 13, 2007
Radelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Glasgow Warriors
Yes, the home and away season is simply about getting to finals. We have locked away our spot with a week to spare, so making smart decisions on player management for a travelling team is pretty elementary really. You should hop off your high horse, don't pretend that Port wouldn't be thinking about resting some players if the shoe was on the other foot.

As for the straight sets bit. I guess we'll have to see. Not sure why you're so angry, is it because your team failed to deliver after a promising season last year? We've been there and it stinks. There's always next year though.

Yes, the home and away season is simply about getting to finals. We have locked away our spot with a week to spare, so making smart decisions on player management for a travelling team is pretty elementary really. You should hop off your high horse, don't pretend that Port wouldn't be thinking about resting some players if the shoe was on the other foot.

As for the straight sets bit. I guess we'll have to see. Not sure why you're so angry, is it because your team failed to deliver after a promising season last year? We've been there and it stinks. There's always next year though.
Freo won't go out in straight sets. Their biggest challenge to make the GF was playing WC in Perth and they should avoid that. Freo will make the GF.

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer Player Sponsor 2015 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Of course, if the AFL grants their request, as I suspect they will, then it's just another example of how dishonest the entire process has been all year. I'll be getting on 100+ if that's the case, to repay in kind the disrespect that both Fremantle and the AFL will be showing for us and the integrity of the competition.
I actually disagree.
The game is all about winning the big one, and if Lyons thinks he has a better chance of doing that by resting players then he should. Betting, bookmakers and dream team shouldn't come into it.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I hope Port don't just win, but crash in hard. I want that Freo are faced with the choice of either having to exhaust themselves playing us or the players not rested go into week 1 of finals with doubts in their mind that they won't stand up to finals pressure.

On lose a GF (take as within 3-4 years or it's a different list) to win one the last 20 years that's a furphy. For teams and their first premierships in a few years -

North Melbourne 1996 no loss before, Adelaide 1997 no loss before, Essendon 2000 no loss before, 2001 Brisbane's first, no loss before. Port 2004 no loss before. Sydney 2005 no loss before. West coast 2006 loss before. Geelong 2007 no loss before. Hawks 2008 no loss before. Collingwood 2010 no loss before (within 5 years). That's 9 out of 10 clubs won on their first time. Finals yes, you need that experience, but not the GF.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Suddenly we have all these Freo supporters taking out possible 'loss insurance' by telling us they may bring a B side over. So what ? I think Port are in good form albeit too late and Freo would have a contract winning at Adelaide Oval even with a full strength side.

What Freo do is their business but we should be about picking our best possible side so that we maximise our chances of going into the break as winners. Wins over Hawthorn and Freo in the last three games can only build our confidence for next year.

Last edited:

If everyone played everyone else twice, I'd have no problem with the idea of resting players, because you do what you have to. But I've got a fundamental problem with resting players when the fixture has a large say in where teams finish, because if our draws were reversed there's no way you would be able to do it.

I'm expecting you to get the green light to do it, just as I'm realistically expecting you to win your maiden flag this year. But seriously, if you wanted to rest players, why wouldn't you just stagger it over the last two rounds? I want to see my team against the best team in the competition, to get some sort of idea if we have actually learned anything from the season. Not some group of fringe players who will bring effort and intensity but not much else.

I guess I just feel cheated out of what little joy we can get from this abortion of a season.

Big Rig Power

Debutant
Mar 17, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Freo have looked shacky the last 6 weeks anyway even resting players for a week won't help there form like. If they lose that first game against probably Sydney they'll go out straight sets I think. I would probably do the same thing if I was in their shoes as well but think afl need to say max half dozen changes cause how often through the year is there anymore than 6

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys

If you in the west thinks it OK to disrespect the fans who pay their hard-earned to see their team, by serving up a second team at any time during the year, Port Adelaide certainly don't. We have never rested players at the end of the season, even when we were finishing off with easybeats. And the only two occasions where it has happened did not bring about a result in finals. St Kilda once dropped most of their players mid-year when they were 10-0 or similar. They did not win the flag that year and neither did you when you dropped players in r23 in 2013.

Hopefully the AFL stand firm on this to keep the competition from becoming a farce.

Back