Round 23 Announced

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes. So Friday is out for us - and after our last Friday night Tigers game I wouldn't expect it again. But Saturday twilight! I guess we can be grateful that they didn't make it Saturday morning.

For Friday night you can see the thinking at AFL House: "Who is our favourite team? Well, obviously the Hawks so let's give them a Friday night bonanza. And, although the Pies are increasingly irrelevant, giving them that time slot will serve the double purpose of us not having Eddie whining and bitching in front of every microphone and camera in Melbourne. Perfect."

Short memory. Go back to 2012, the year the AFL gifted you a flag by taking the Friday night game away from minor premier Hawthorn, gave it to their love child Sydney to make sure they had the longer rest and preparation for the Grand Final. Mate, everyone knows who the AFL's favourite team is, they wear red & white, so stop embarrassing yourself.

Someone's got to make the money the AFL gives you, so a Hawthorn v Collingwood game makes sense.

Clearly Collingwood was heavily favoured in 2012 when we were forced to have a 6-day break before our first final when the AFL put the 1v4 final on the Friday night for the first time in 10 years. Clearly we were heavily favoured once again two weeks later when we were forced to have a 6-day break before the Sydney prelim, a game that should have been on the Saturday. Clearly we had a massive advantage last year too when we had a 6-day break going into an EF against a side that finished below us, then faced a 6-day break straight after if we had won because of the Perth rugby debacle.

It really is so unfair. :rolleyes:

Yes. So Friday is out for us - and after our last Friday night Tigers game I wouldn't expect it again. But Saturday twilight! I guess we can be grateful that they didn't make it Saturday morning.

For Friday night you can see the thinking at AFL House: "Who is our favourite team? Well, obviously the Hawks so let's give them a Friday night bonanza. And, although the Pies are increasingly irrelevant, giving them that time slot will serve the double purpose of us not having Eddie whining and bitching in front of every microphone and camera in Melbourne. Perfect."
A Sydney fan seriously complaining about afl favouritism? Talk about biting the hand...

You do realize that will make it 3- six day breaks in a row, we have by far had the most of any side this year!
That will mean we play 3 games in 13 days, not complaining just putting it out there. We embrace hardship & difficulty, bring it on.:D

Only 2. For 3 you'd either have to play a final in WK1 on the Thursday or if by some strange set of circumstances your R19 game is rescheduled for a Monday

afls two pets get friday night surprise surprise

guess the pies can get to the airport for the end of season trip a day earlier
Deluded #2.:rolleyes:
I really can't believe how many ridiculous comments these bleeders come out with. Very, very amusing. Do a little fact checking in between your low fat soy lattes & you may learn something.
The Swans have been in Sydney 34 years now & still need assistance. That is a very sad state of affairs.

Only 2. For 3 you'd either have to play a final in WK1 on the Thursday or if by some strange set of circumstances your R19 game is rescheduled for a Monday
I stand corrected but you know what I meant, it's still 3 games in a slim time frame.

I stand corrected but you know what I meant, it's still 3 games in a slim time frame.

Ah yeah I get you. I still don't understand why the Freo/Hawks game in R21 couldn't be on a Saturday and then our R22 game v Brisbane on a Saturday as well. Would have made R23 fixturing much easier - still reckon R21/22/23 should be floating and confirmed by R19 to ensure there is minimal (if any) back to back 6 day breaks, or travel after 6 day breaks for any of the potential top 8.

AFL should run a massive algorithm with all the teams and all the possibilities at the end of R18 to determine which fixture wouldn't work and then create the fairest set of fixtures for the remaining 3 rounds as possible - but this is the AFL we are talking about

Ah yeah I get you. I still don't understand why the Freo/Hawks game in R21 couldn't be on a Saturday and then our R22 game v Brisbane on a Saturday as well. Would have made R23 fixturing much easier - still reckon R21/22/23 should be floating and confirmed by R19 to ensure there is minimal (if any) back to back 6 day breaks, or travel after 6 day breaks for any of the potential top 8.

AFL should run a massive algorithm with all the teams and all the possibilities at the end of R18 to determine which fixture wouldn't work and then create the fairest set of fixtures for the remaining 3 rounds as possible - but this is the AFL we are talking about
Yes that would make too much of a logical solution. But hey we're the AFL's favorites haven't you been listening to the bleeders on here.
I prefer to keep to one of Leigh Matthews sayings:- never complain, never explain. No point in it mate I just prefer to get the job done & hopefully enjoy the results later.

you reckon that much thought went into it, id say Eddie and his new pal newbold ran the fixture up and just gave it to the AFL to announce
Yep, I'm sure Newbold was loving the idea of back-to-back six-day breaks and playing them off the back of a trip to Perth. I'm surprised he didn't lobby for us to play the Wednesday night to make the break a bit shorter.

Dead set, I understand you're trying to fly the flag for your side but it's drawing a long bow to say the least for any swans supporter to complain about the playing field being uneven.

Last edited:
Clearly Collingwood was heavily favoured in 2012 when we were forced to have a 6-day break before our first final when the AFL put the 1v4 final on the Friday night for the first time in 10 years. Clearly we were heavily favoured once again two weeks later when we were forced to have a 6-day break before the Sydney prelim, a game that should have been on the Saturday. Clearly we had a massive advantage last year too when we had a 6-day break going into an EF against a side that finished below us, then faced a 6-day break straight after if we had won because of the Perth rugby debacle.

It really is so unfair. :rolleyes:

Well you won't need to worry about the finals fixture this year mate ;)

Perhaps maybe next year we should have all the expected contenders playing on Thursday/Friday/Saturday in Round 22 to make it easier to do the Round 23 draw. I mean Fremantle on Sunday in Rd22, seriously. Would enable a Thursday Round 23 game too potentially which would mean only 2 Sunday Games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps maybe next year we should have all the expected contenders playing on Thursday/Friday/Saturday in Round 22 to make it easier to do the Round 23 draw. I mean Fremantle on Sunday in Rd22, seriously. Would enable a Thursday Round 23 game too potentially which would mean only 2 Sunday Games.
I wonder how many people even will watch a meaningless game in a non peak time slot in round 23? What exactly are would Fox lose by scheduling one of their Sunday games on the Saturday before? Surely nothing significant in the scheme of the overall broadcast deal. So they could certainly go for 1 Friday night, 6 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday without the Thursday night game. Surely that would only cost the AFL a tiny amount in the scheme of things of the broadcast deal but it be worth it for the integrity of finals.

According to this article - Cats vs Lions is the FTA game that night!
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2014-07-29/cats-and-lions-confirmed-for-saturday-night
WTF, that's not allowed to happen, Brisbane on FTA in Victoria, this keeps up I'll only need Foxtel for 18 games a season. Still doesn't change the fact that we have the least number of games on FTA in Vic despite having a one of the largest supporter bases in Vic for an interestate club. GWS have got more games on FTA every year since their inception than Brisbane.

For all the whingers out there go and make a better fixture if you're not happy, doubt it could happen.

Collingwood v Hawthorn - despite Collingwood's current form have to assume they will still be in contention for finls come Rd 23. Game will draw 70k+
Carlton v Essendon - probably only real contentious one. Essendon are expected to play finals as it is unlikely any potential ASADA penalties will be handed down between now and then given the legal wrangling. AFL would definitely like Judd to announce his plans before the game to help boost numbers, would still be expecting 60k at game. Only option for this game is direct swap with North v Melbourne.
Sydney v Richmond - Swans will finish top two and AFL would want them on Friday or Sat night, almost certain to be Saturday night 1st week of finals if they finish top 2.
North v Melbourne - As above only real option was to swap with Carlton v Essendon.
Geelong v Brisbane - Geelong still top 2 prospect, will all remaining games and they will be, as such will get Friday or Saturday final.
Gold Coast v West Coast - Gold Coast still mathematical chance, but with no Ablett unlikely, would of swapped with Adelaide v St Kilda for time slot.
Adelaide v St Kilda - There will always be one finals contender getting the Sunday slot. Surprised not the early game, but will mean if Adelaide make finals they'll play on the Sunday in week 1. Firmly believe given the later slot to please Ch7
Western Bulldogs v GWS - this game was pencilled in as Sunday twilight from the moment the fixture was released. Whilst it is not popular with Bulldogs fans, the AFL will always have a game picked for Rd 23 which they are over 90% certain will involve two teams that won't make finals.

*Watch for something like St Kilda v GWS in the fixture next season as the AFL estimate of two teams highly unlikely to play finals so they have a Sunday twilight option straight up.

Boo ruddy hoo.
How about the people that support a team more than 2 and a half hours away.
How ever do they cope?
And a night game makes it easier for them?

When I've got foxtel, a carton of stubbies, a heater, mates, mockies, a packet of mint slice at home...it's really no contest.

Some of us just aren't as dedicated as others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back