Unofficial Preview Round 23 Sydney v Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough.

I dont think my views have changed all that much. We should still be outsiders against freo and west coast but we have a reasonable chance against them (i think i put it at about 1 in 3) over there.

I still reckon we are about a 1 in 6 chance against the hawks at the mcg. But on the day anything could happen. Even with Jesse white i gave us a bit of a shot in 2013 and also in 2011. And in both games we had periods of dominance. We just couldnt convert.

I'm also happier about the game style but I cant discount the fact that we have played two teams that put the cue in the rack. in 2012 we got beat in those 3 out of 4 games because we played against genuinely good teams who made us work on the plan and structures. last year - and i dont really know how true this is - it was said that the ease with which we beat freo (despite never really scoring anything like enough) and north i think gave us a false impression of how we were travelling.

anyway its better watching us thump teams than be thumped. but the first ten minutes of the game where we missed players by hand and foot reminded me a lot of some of our games against the saints at docklands over the years - including the worst game of football i have ever seen which may or may not have been the last game for eade in 2002.

the horror. the horror.

Think Eades last was the cats, but that saints game was terrible

I agree with you, great to see attack and dare we have now played 2 good weeks of footy

But the sides were woeful, so its all letter more than a rehearsal until we most likely face freo in 2 weeks,

We did all that could be expected the last 2 weeks, and got some key guys back into form, but there are still massive skills concerns going up against the best

The clueless duo think its all roses and hopefully they are correct, but freo, hawks, wce, doggies and co wont let us butcher it like we did in both second quarters the last two weeks, and that pies game yuck

What i do like is the forward set up, the ruck division and the intercept marking in defence

I assume rohan will be managed like buddy was this week so start and subbed off during third, question is who starts as sub?

3 weeks ago more than half of the board were genuinely concerned about our ability to beat even the lowly Saints, GWS and Suns.
We have shown that we are not shite by winning comprehensively when we should. There is NOTHING else that could have been proven against the Saints or GWS. We did what we needed to do.
Next step is to show we can compete again with the top sides.
Minor tweaks of the game plan are showing some promising signs. JPK starting on the defensive side of stoppages and not hunting the ball initially. A forward line structure where our forwards don't venture as far up the ground. Most importantly, taking the game on.
Pyke and Tippo have formed a synergy. JPK is back to beast mode. Most of the others have lifted their form.
Playing shite and having to go back to the drawing board may work in our favour in the long run.
With JPK/Buddy/Tippo playing at their peak we will be bloody hard to beat. We know Goodesy won't die wondering. The rest have 1 really good reason to lift for the finals.

Don't worry about Sir Swunts' negativity we are back on track. Long way to go, but back on track.
If we win week 1 of the finals the bandwagon will overload so I am getting on now.
Can't agree with you more, seeing a much better structure, instead of the flooding back game style. A few tweaks and a few players returning to form and we are ready for finals. This board overreacts every time!!
The best part is I may be home from work to watch them destroy Freo

if I'm Horse I'm resting anyone who is even slightly sore. Get Bird and Benny back in the 1s, and give Rose a full game. Start Rohan but sub him off before 3/4 time. I know we need to win but its the suns ffs.

AFL.com.au said:
Small defender Nick Smith looks to be the Swans only headache from last week's massive win over St Kilda with a hamstring strain, but in better news, Ben McGlynn got through a game in the NEAFL after recovering from his own hammy troubles. The speedster had 22 touches, while veteran Craig Bird had 27 possessions and 12 clearances in the Swans' reserves win. Last week's travelling emergencies Jake Lloyd and Dean Towers, plus James Rose and George Hewett could also be considered to replace Smith if he misses this week's game against Gold Coast. Lance Franklin successfully returned from a back problem against the Saints, as did Gary Rohan (knee), so the Swans look to be getting their best side together at the right time. - Adam Curley

We're not set in stone top 4 yet, be precautionary with the players we need to (Smith) but it's more important to take this game seriously and continue building our form ahead of finals, particularly our forward structure and forward entries with Lance back. The last 2 games have been good but our second half of the year hasn't been amazing, continuing to build our form (individually and as a team) and continuing to work on our scoring, and playing 4 quarters are very important for us heading into finals.
Everyone's saying it's a dead rubber round but it's not for us -winning in an ugly, sloppy fashion (see Brisbane game) and losing our form in the process would seriously hurt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also resting does not mean you come up fresh and raring to go. It can often have the opposite effect. See post bye results for most clubs especially our own.

Pyke has a specific knee problem and there is merit in resting him if it will help. And obviously Smith.

We're not set in stone top 4 yet, be precautionary with the players we need to (Smith) but it's more important to take this game seriously and continue building our form ahead of finals, particularly our forward structure and forward entries with Lance back. The last 2 games have been good but our second half of the year hasn't been amazing, continuing to build our form (individually and as a team) and continuing to work on our scoring, and playing 4 quarters are very important for us heading into finals.
Everyone's saying it's a dead rubber round but it's not for us -winning in an ugly, sloppy fashion (see Brisbane game) and losing our form in the process would seriously hurt.

Yep best 22 power through GC and continue to build towards week 1, we have hardly played 4 quarters all year so fatigue shouldnt be a issue right :p

Also resting does not mean you come up fresh and raring to go. It can often have the opposite effect. See post bye results for most clubs especially our own.

Pyke has a specific knee problem and there is merit in resting him if it will help. And obviously Smith.

Pyke has said the knee has been pulling up better than it has all year, unless it's causing him problems, I see no reason to rest him. He & Tippett are starting to get a good combo happening.

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2015-08-31/pyke-confident-knee-can-hold-up

The best 22 for the Freo game should play this week, then players will get a rest after we beat them:)

Not sure where to post this guys, but will your home final be at the SCG this year?

We are not in a position to rest anyone, our form is so fickle I would not want to play around with it at the moment. Go for broke each and every game, players get injured at training ffs, so why worry about inJuries during a game. Resting can backfire, look at the results from coming back the week after a bye.

In terms of form, clearly we cant please some people.....we beat who we beat, if we got over them by 2 or 3 goals there would be an outcry because we are only playing GSW/St Kilda etc, yet we smash both by almost 100 pts each game and the outcry is we are only playing GSW/St Kilda etc, I have seen Grundy come into some strong form, Pyke return strongly, BJ play some of his best confidence building footy in seniors, Mitchell elevate, Heeney stamp himself, JPK really lead and recapture his bullocking best and apparently this is not a good thing because we played crap sides. Well, I call bulldust on that!!

This game is important and another step towards where we want to go....you dont need to be the best team all year, just the best team in September (and October this year I guess..)

....So no resting for mine....out looks to be Smith (inj) in...McGlynn perhaps?

We are not in a position to rest anyone, our form is so fickle I would not want to play around with it at the moment. Go for broke each and every game, players get injured at training ffs, so why worry about inJuries during a game. Resting can backfire, look at the results from coming back the week after a bye.
This game is important and another step towards where we want to go....you dont need to be the best team all year, just the best team in September (and October this year I guess..)

....So no resting for mine....out looks to be Smith (inj) in...McGlynn perhaps?
Horse has already said McGlynn likely for another NEAFL match. Doubtful.

Just wanna say i'm so excited. September is among us again and finals are just round the corner.

boards are gonna be brimming and excitement and enthusiasm just goes up another notch. :D

Just wanna say i'm so excited. September is among us again and finals are just round the corner.

boards are gonna be brimming and excitement and enthusiasm just goes up another notch. :D
Cold shower helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back