Prediction Round 23

Oct 22, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
OOB
The North Vs Richmond game in round 23 has to be the Friday night game for the following reasons:
  • Firstly to save Friday night football, all bias aside if they put another Carlton belting on Friday night it could very well kill off the timeslot
  • On paper it looks like the game of the round
  • It will be the biggest game in terms of shaping the finals series for the round (Crows V Cats will also have some baring)
  • Both clubs will have put together back halves of the season to earn the timeslot

Mr. Blonde

Premiership Player
Dec 16, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
The games that could fill the Friday night timeslot are:

Collingwood vs Essendon - with both teams looking like they will miss finals, Sunday afternoon would suit.
Hawthorn vs Carlton - surely channel 7 wouldn't want another 100 point belting shown in their prime slot.
Lions vs Bulldogs - Friday nights at the Gabba just don't happen these days.
Richmond vs North - both teams should make finals, always great games, you would get a full house at Etihad.

Still, I can just see the press release stating that a Collingwood vs Essendon game will go ahead on the Friday night because Collingwood usually get what is best for them and everyone else can get stuffed (and by usually I mean always).

Oct 22, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
OOB
But don't they almost have to "reward" Hawthorn or Freo for finishing top?
From the Herald Sun

"The AFL’s floating Round 23 fixture is yet to be finalised but Hawthorn is expected to be given another Friday night game to provide the longest possible break before a likely qualifying final.

The problem is the Hawks play Carlton again in the final home-and-away round, presenting a likely seventh Friday night fixture for the Blues this season and a potential repeat of Friday night’s record 138-point mauling.

Fixturing the Blues in the prime Friday night fixture has been a disaster, with the Blues scoring an average 51 points in those games to their opposition’s 126. Crowds have also taken a dive — just 26,815 turned up to watch the Hawk demolition.

story-fni5f5nx-1227456539787

The two teams who could finish above Hawthorn on the ladder — Fremantle and West Coast — both play Sunday games in Round 22 which means they can’t play the following Friday on a five-day break."

Phillyroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles Baby
From the Herald Sun

"The AFL’s floating Round 23 fixture is yet to be finalised but Hawthorn is expected to be given another Friday night game to provide the longest possible break before a likely qualifying final.

The problem is the Hawks play Carlton again in the final home-and-away round, presenting a likely seventh Friday night fixture for the Blues this season and a potential repeat of Friday night’s record 138-point mauling.

Fixturing the Blues in the prime Friday night fixture has been a disaster, with the Blues scoring an average 51 points in those games to their opposition’s 126. Crowds have also taken a dive — just 26,815 turned up to watch the Hawk demolition.

story-fni5f5nx-1227456539787

The two teams who could finish above Hawthorn on the ladder — Fremantle and West Coast — both play Sunday games in Round 22 which means they can’t play the following Friday on a five-day break."
Yeah righto although I bet if u asked Ross Lyon if he wanted the Friday night game he would take it. Especially if they had wrapped up a top 2 spot by then.
But like I said Hawthorn will get it.

I personally don't get the football publics obsession with Friday nights. I would prefer Sat night 1000x more.
For me personally, Saturday night is the worst possible night to attend footy. It clashes with so many things the family (see wife) want to do, making it a challenge each bloody time.

Oct 22, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
OOB
I told you
Channel Seven is lobbying against Hawthorn-Carlton being scheduled on Friday night in Round 23
"The league was leaning towards handing Hawthorn the maximum break before its qualifying final as part of its mantra to hand top-four sides an advantage.

But the Hawks-Blues game shapes as a total disaster, with Channel Seven instead lobbying for the high-stakes Richmond-North Melbourne game.

The AFL could play all of the top four sides on the Saturday of Round 23 — likely Hawthorn, Fremantle, Sydney and West Coast.

Then it could schedule a qualifying final on the Friday night of Week 1 of the finals, knowing both sides were at least coming off an equal six-day break.

story-fni5f8ge-1227465337334

Ideally the minor premier and top-four sides would want a seven-day break before a first final but the new solution would provide more fairness.

None of Sydney, Fremantle or West Coast can play on the Friday of Round 23 given they play on Sunday in Round 22, which would force them into an unenviable five-day break."

Back