Preview Round 3, 2015: Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs, 19 April 2015 @ Aurora Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a marathon not a sprint. Wouldn't have wanted either of them to play with a niggle and then end up being out for weeks on end.
It's difficult sometimes to appreciate the effects of resting players like we did last week. Especially when it results in a close loss.

Resting them for one week now and copping a single loss vs having them possibly get injured for 6 weeks and we lose 3 in that time. Obviously option 1 is preferable but we'll never know how bad the alternative might've been if we hadn't rested them.

As they say: It is what it is.

And we would have won with unfit/injured players? Seriously, if you don't think we manage our team remarkably well you are hard to please. All teams get injuries, and most of the time we've got the depth to cover ours. The fact that we have last minute OUTS tells you that players are given every opportunity to play right up until the last minute, really can't see the problem (unless as I said it's people's bets and dream teams they are really worried about).

If you're happy with players dropping out at the last moment, I'm happy for you. I think it disrupts the preparation, as illustrated last week.

If you're happy with players dropping out at the last moment, I'm happy for you. I think it disrupts the preparation, as illustrated last week.

Given all the withdrawals from the VFL side today, then I'd say:.... Be prepared for some more disruption tomorrow!

We have another 6 day break before going over to Adelaide....A nightmare of a first 5 weeks from a fixture/time perspective truth be told!

Fortunately for us, the rest of the season gets a whole lot easier in terms of the schedule & fixturing....If we go 3/2 after the first 5, then I'll be delighted.

Given all the withdrawals from the VFL side today, then I'd say:.... Be prepared for some more disruption tomorrow!

We have another 6 day break before going over to Adelaide....A nightmare of a first 5 weeks from a fixture/time perspective truth be told!

Fortunately for us, the rest of the season gets a whole lot easier in terms of the schedule & fixturing....If we go 3/2 after the first 5, then I'll be delighted.

3-2 is not a good result when you will likely need 18-4 for top 2 so I won't be delighted with 3-2

3-2 is not a good result when you will likely need 18-4 for top 2 so I won't be delighted with 3-2

Facing Port 'over there' with a regular weeks break is hard enuf....a 6 day break with them having the extra days rest will be even more difficult to over-come....Not to mention the added incentive they will have in seeking 'revenge' for last year's preliminary Final loss! (Remember the Bombers had 2 extra days rest over us, & if you think that wasn't a significant factor in determining that result....Then think again!)

We then finish up with that 'shitful team Norf', who always lift against us like no other....Fortunately however, they only have a 6 day break for that one, but it's coming off playing the Cats, where both brothers will conspire to play 'bruise-free footy'!

We are no certainties for tomorrow's game, let alone the 2 that follow....A 3/2 Win/loss ratio from here will be good enuf, with all things considered!

I can't believe that people actually think Clarkson rested players in round 2. In fact not only did he rest them but gave them permission to skip training as well.

I'm still trying to fathom the fact he blooded 2 kids for their debut's in a 'Grudge-Match".....What on earth was he & the match-committee thinking there????

Facing Port 'over there' with a regular weeks break is hard enuf....a 6 day break with them having the extra days rest will be even more difficult to over-come....Not to mention the added incentive they will have in seeking 'revenge' for last year's preliminary Final loss! (Remember the Bombers had 2 extra days rest over us, & if you think that wasn't a significant factor in determining that result....Then think again!)

We then finish up with that 'shitful team Norf', who always lift against us like no other....Fortunately however, they only have a 6 day break for that one, but it's coming off playing the Cats, where both brothers will conspire to play 'bruise-free footy'!

We are no certainties for tomorrow's game, let alone the 2 that follow....A 3/2 Win/loss ratio from here will be good enuf, with all things considered!

I'm still trying to fathom the fact he blooded 2 kids for their debut's in a 'Grudge-Match".....What on earth was he & the match-committee thinking there????

Im not saying we will go 4-1 Im just saying if we are 3-2 we face a real uphill battle for top 2 and if we don't come top 2 we won't win the flag IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Procrastinator35, I agree that the replacements for the outs were strange but frawley going down early was the more damaging factor IMO with gibbo already out of the game.

The bad news today was spang and a hammy - we go from a strong defence to once again being susceptible if the midfield is off even slightly.

Procrastinator35, I agree that the replacements for the outs were strange but frawley going down early was the more damaging factor IMO with gibbo already out of the game.

The bad news today was spang and a hammy - we go from a strong defence to once again being susceptible if the midfield is off even slightly.

Not to mention the fact that 'poor old Brian Lake' is having to carry the can alone & back up in playing 5 weeks on the trot....Not ideal, when we only planned to play him every second week....If he goes down due to fatigue & over-work, then the issue is compounded & we are farked defensively.

I honestly can't believe the angst on here sometimes about the late outs, why does it annoy everyone so much? Anything that helps us win is OK by me. Have come to the conclusion that people are more concerned about their bets and their dream teams than they are about what's best for Hawthorn.
Agree with Bumps, and we must also appreciate we haven't had a Friday, or Saturday game as yet, but still must name our squad on Thursday. We must give our players as long as possible to be 100%, so we name them, but we have the option to leave them out if they don't come up. Would you rather we name the squad on Friday evenings for a Sunday game?

Agree with Bumps, and we must also appreciate we haven't had a Friday, or Saturday game as yet, but still must name our squad on Thursday. We must give our players as long as possible to be 100%, so we name them, but we have the option to leave them out if they don't come up. Would you rather we name the squad on Friday evenings for a Sunday game?

Yes I would ******* hate extended benches.

I think it was just Arrogance from a team that thought they would walk it, no doubt he would have had some soreness like 70% of players have at every club every week.

It was a calculated risk that back fired. Doesn't mean it was wrong though. We have an older list and i think you'll find that the coaching panel rotates the squad all through the season until a month or so out from finals when they try to lock in the best squad for the run home.

Clarko said in the post match last week that our tactic has been to play the rested over those with a niggle/interrupted go. If Chip hadn't gone down or we hadn't played so poorly for the first half we still would have won. I'd rather not have Mitch out with a calf for a month or two so I back the coaches and club to make the right call, hopefully it pays off at the end of the year

Freo and Shitney are both due for some injuries. When that happens they will struggle as both have questionable depth. Same with Port.

Will be a very even comp this year and we shouldn't be panicking just yet. Every team will have one or two surprise losses (even the AFL love children).

One week at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back