Autopsy Round 3 - 3 Things you Learnt vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

He said

"If buddy and heeney didnt play then they may not of got their goals"

Umm ok f wit

This was a flogging for three quarters took the foot of in the last and shaw thinks the giants are stellar

Shaw needs reminding that late in the 3rd the scoreline was 96-57.

GWS did well to run out the game and put some respectability on the scoreboard but i didn't feel at any stage they were going to win the game.

1. Jetts seems hellbent on erasing the nightmare gf. He appears to have stepped up his game this year.
2. The Franklin-Heeney show will give teams nightmares for many years.
3. It's nice to know we can overcome relatively quiet games from JPK and Parks and still pull off wins (and I'm not criticising those two guys, I'm just happy that we aren't relying on them as heavily at the moment)

1. The Heeney-Buddy partnership demonstrated the importance of small forwards who can apply pressure. It makes our forward line look so much better.
2. Hanners' work rate was immense today and it needed to be to overcome the LWS midfield who are becoming a tough proposition to play against.
3. Today was a tough day to play football, even though it didn't rain it may as well have it was that humid (82% humidity in Sydney), and it was a warm day. Not surprised the players ran out of gas towards the end.

1. The Heeney-Buddy partnership demonstrated the importance of small forwards who can apply pressure. It makes our forward line look so much better.
2. Hanners' work rate was immense today and it needed to be to overcome the LWS midfield who are becoming a tough proposition to play against.
3. Today was a tough day to play football, even though it didn't rain it may as well have it was that humid (82% humidity in Sydney), and it was a warm day. Not surprised the players ran out of gas towards the end.

On the flipside i do worry when a 3rd gamer has both knees iced at the end of the game, we need to manage him till his body develops enough to run out a AFL season.

On the flipside i do worry when a 3rd gamer has both knees iced at the end of the game, we need to manage him till his body develops enough to run out a AFL season.

Yep we will definitely have to manage him until his body develops, I was more stressing the importance of the small forward role to our structure which he played a bit of today.

1. You don't need to be a small man on angry pills (see Puopolo, Ballantyne, McGlynn etc) to put defensive pressure on in the forward 50. Gary Rohan is carving out a niche for himself up forward.

2. Heeney isn't just silky with the ball in hand, he's a tough little bigger too. Will live up to the hype.

3. GWS are going to win a lot more games this year than 2014. They have that ability to pile on goals when they get on top of opponents. Once they stop giving away costly turnovers, they will be VERY good.

Yep we will definitely have to manage him until his body develops, I was more stressing the importance of the small forward role to our structure which he played a bit of today.

Agreed :)

Then again questions need to be asked why didn't we recruit a small forward who can apply pressure and feast on Buddy, Tippo spoils and taps.

I know i said we need to manage Heeney but you can't drop him after his 3 performances.

He did get smashed into a goal post

I know i said we need to manage Heeney but you can't drop him after his 3 performances.

Oh yeah for sure he stays in the team assuming he's ok after getting smashed into the goal post, but we don't want to run the kid into the ground.

I'm thinking give him a rest just before the Collingwood game, make him hungry, then bring him back fresh so Eddie will have something to whinge about :D

Re small forwards, I think we just don't like them. We haven't rated small forwards since Roos was coach. Schneider, Veszpremi, TDL and Lamb all got the chop, we seem to prefer rotating midfielders through there because we like players who can run both ways.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Jetta seems really fresh this year. He is clean and running hard both ways. He just needs to hold another tackle or two.

2. I thought Micky Os first games were good and looked what happened..... HEENEYs first 3 games have been far and away better than this. He will win the 2018 brownlow he will.

3. We should have sent Pikey packing not Mummy. We need Pikey to throw his weight around a bit more. And a backup defender would be good

Brownlow 2016*

1. Heeney is even better than I thought
2. Franklin's arc is back, Davis needs to get in his ear
3. Bugg is the dirtiest player in the League. The hit on Riewoldt in Round 1 and now pushing Heeney into the goalpost. Talentless sniper. Deserves a week
This. Pretty spot on what I would have written.

Bugg needs a good old karma bus to run right through him in the next week or two the dirty prick. BBBH ready for a come back.... Maybe Yarren could sort him out fot the comp...

1. Again heeney has impressed me even more. The rising star is over. Kid will be a superstar. Does everything very well.

2. Rohan looks good but lets himself down with simple skill/composure errors. WHEN he tidies that up, he is going to be a very good player.

3. Even when we are below par,we are still very good. Hanners,buddy and heeney are the only players that stood out. Its a good sign

1. Lachie Whitfield of the Giants is some sort of player

2. Our no-nonsense defence gets the job done, week in week out

3. Isaac Heeney - book that goalpost in for precautionary scans

Heeney's delivery must make Buddy happy
Full Strength beer back at the SCG makes me happy
Grundy is slow

Agreed :)

Then again questions need to be asked why didn't we recruit a small forward who can apply pressure and feast on Buddy, Tippo spoils and taps.

He will rotate as a sub a few times. The way Horse uses the sub it is the same as a week off.

1. The forward line looks better with Towers pressure - he needs to stay.
2. The team looked tired after last week.
3. Awesome win. GWS is a significant opponent (especially when they play us).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back