Autopsy Round 3 - 3 Things you Learnt vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you look at the photo?
On what planet is Bugg trying to tackle?
Yes he could have and should have tackled him as hard as he could, if he did they BOTH would have ended up wrapped around the post, but he woosed out and all he ended up doing was making sure Heeney hit the post. That is dirty grubby play and shouldn't be confused with playing the game hard.

Yes...because the photo tells what happened in the hit. Heeney was running towards the goals when he got hit that is why he went into the post. You can't just justify by a picture. Try having a look at the video and not being all sooky sooky la la. Trying to whinge about a fair hit is just stupid.

Did you look at the photo?
On what planet is Bugg trying to tackle?
Yes he could have and should have tackled him as hard as he could, if he did they BOTH would have ended up wrapped around the post, but he woosed out and all he ended up doing was making sure Heeney hit the post. That is dirty grubby play and shouldn't be confused with playing the game hard.
Sorry pal, that's just BS.

Look at the whole video, not a still shot. There is no way Bugg is doing anything but legitimately attempting to tackle.

If anything, Sir Isaac Heeney puts himself into a bad situation by leaping into his kick.

No commentators said anything was untoward. No umpires gave it a second look. No Swans players ran over and had a crack at Bugg.

It was a nasty accident, and no-one was to blame.

Yes...because the photo tells what happened in the hit. Heeney was running towards the goals when he got hit that is why he went into the post. You can't just justify by a picture. Try having a look at the video and not being all sooky sooky la la. Trying to whinge about a fair hit is just stupid.

At best it was Isaac's momentum that took him into the post, at worst Bugg pushed him into the post, how you get 'hard nut' out of that for Bugg is a little questionable, but if you want to defend the indefensible go for it.

Sorry pal, that's just BS.

Look at the whole video, not a still shot. There is no way Bugg is doing anything but legitimately attempting to tackle.

If anything, Sir Isaac Heeney puts himself into a bad situation by leaping into his kick.

No commentators said anything was untoward. No umpires gave it a second look. No Swans players ran over and had a crack at Bugg.

It was a nasty accident, and no-one was to blame.

I say BS, to be fair to Bugg he may have intended to push him past the post but no doubt he pushed him.

I say BS, to be fair to Bugg he may have intended to push him past the post but no doubt he pushed him.
When I stop-time it from 00:25 to 00:27 I see a legitimate tackling attempt which is shrugged off by Heeney's leaping into his kick.

So then we'll agree to disagree.

And, if you're saying I'm wrong, you're also saying the commentators are blind, the umpires are blind, and Buddy Franklin, Lewis Jetta and Dan Hannebery are blind. OK.

Last edited:
When I stop-time it from 00:25 to 00:27 I see a legitimate tackling attempt which is shrugged off by Heeney's leaping into his kick.

So then we'll agree to disagree.

And, if you're saying I'm wrong, you're also saying the commentators are blind, the umpires are blind, and Buddy Franklin, Lewis Jetta and Dan Hannebery are blind. OK.

Heeney miraculously shrugged off a tackle mid air, whist kicking the ball, and Bugg miraculously tackled him but miraculously wasn't even within arms reach as Heeney hit the post.
You can make your point without being a smart arse. You being a smart arse does not make your point.

Heeney miraculously shrugged off a tackle mid air, whist kicking the ball, and Bugg miraculously tackled him but miraculously wasn't even within arms reach as Heeney hit the post.
You can make your point without being a smart arse. You being a smart arse does not make your point.
No. He's not in midair. Heeney fends Bugg off with his left arm and jumps out of the tackle to kick the ball.

Look at Bugg's hands and arms as he makes contact with Heeney. Is that how you go to push someone? Certainly not how I do.

I'm not being a smartarse. Jesus, look at the response of the Swans players. That tells you all you need to know. Hannebery is 10 metres away with a clear view of everything.

3. Wanted Shaw to retire last year. I was wrong.

At least you have the balls to admit it and chow down on a slice of humble pie.

What gets me (and this isn't you disco) are the fans who bag out any mistake he makes but stay very quiet when he plays a ripper. What happened to credit where credit's due ?

Mistake was bugg thinking he a mere mortal somehow had the ability to stop Heeney
Gee SS, they love you on the GWS board. Well done for rattling their cage.

Most of them are the most arrogant bunch of supporters you would come across funny they were pretty quite Grand Final day last year.

The biggest flog calls himself Sir Swans he predicted a ten goal victory at least and it didn't turn out that way because they took it easy in the second half lol

Gee SS, they love you on the GWS board. Well done for rattling their cage.

I was quite :p

However that seems right we were on track for ten goals then put the cue in the rack, they are delusional at gws

Hope they dont listen to the podcast if that upsets them

To my eye, Jetta had a few pretty soft defensive efforts immediately before some GWS goals (Griffen's mark & goal in the 3rd, Scully's long bomb in the 4th, Coniglio's goal in the 4th). Not sure he could have actually prevented them, but it's still a bit concerning to see if we're going to play him down back. I mean, on Scully's long bomb, Jetta was one out with Palmer in the goal square. That isn't ideal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damn the commentary is woefully biased.

Asides, Lloyd was superb. Same with Laidler.
Reid's disposal was poor but spoils etc were good
We really took the afterburns off at 3qtr time. Had an eye on freo methinks.

Just on membership alone, Franklin has paid us off in spades.

To my eye, Jetta had a few pretty soft defensive efforts immediately before some GWS goals (Griffen's mark & goal in the 3rd, Scully's long bomb in the 4th, Coniglio's goal in the 4th). Not sure he could have actually prevented them, but it's still a bit concerning to see if we're going to play him down back. I mean, on Scully's long bomb, Jetta was one out with Palmer in the goal square. That isn't ideal.

I was OK with Jetta's game. Seems to be getting a balance between 70% attack vs 30% defence. Perhaps his apprenticeship is over. I'm impressed with the way he finds space out of congestion. It's as if the opposition know they can't catch him and give up any thoughts of a chase, preferring to block his run exits and force him to kick long. Fortunately for us he's going to hurt either way, though running with the ball in hand he seems to be back to 2012 vintage Jetta. I see him as a real problem for opposition teams and a wild card for us in terms of his unpredictability. The mobility of Rohan and Heeney forward add to that sense of making the opposition look like scattered 10-pins and that opens space for our forwards. Just on Heeney, and this will bring groans of complaint, he needs to get better at predicting where the ball is going to go and attack. Sometimes he gets caught watching. Not really a criticism though, given he's only played 3 games.

I'm sure this will also brings howls of protest but Rampe needs to settle some consistency into his game. He's played one really solid game (Port) this year after a poor game (terrible 3rd quarter) against Essendon and a serviceable but un-Rampe like game against GWS. What worries me is his mistakes are coming without pressure. Is his confidence off ? I wonder if his GF performance is weighing on him as he seems determined to be the best he can. I don't like to pick out individual mistakes (all players make them) but that kick across goal into the man on the mark followed by an ineffective tackle and tumble was not the Rampe we saw in 2014. He seems nervous. Perhaps Horse could give him more midfield time to boost his confidence. I hope he settles and gives us a vintage display against Freo.

Pretty hard to fault anyone on the team effort. We controlled the game almost 100% of the time and when GWS got some momentum we were able to quash it and take the game back onto our terms. Even Sam Reid got some good efforts in. His disposal was what let him down but then it's hard to think of a defender who hasn't butchered his disposals at times. That takes time to adjust to the pressure (perceived or real). Macca is about the only one I'd trust to deliver clean ball every time from deep in defence.

Thought each week Rampe has a grundy like moment where he does it and you think WTF. I cannot be bothered re watching GWS but i felt like a few of the Rampe moments where caused by team mates putting him under pressure. Not excusing him at all because he needs to be better but i think the biggest mark against our defence (who do a magnificent job with what they have) is they can all get lost in a reluctance to go forward.

Then you get short sideways, back n forth type kicks or my pet peeve handballs to flat footed men.

Shaw at his best breaks the line and clears it, i like mcveigh back there because he will also. Rampe needs to back himself more perhaps. But we missed smith maybe because there was a reasonable amount of dis organisation down back

1. Bird can tag
2. Bird can get his own ball while tagging
3. The proof of the pudding is in the eating

Shiel
14 possessions (Averaged 28 for 2015), just 3 contested possessions (av 12) and 1 clearance. 0 goals (av 2/game) and 0 assists (av 1/game). 2 inside 50s (av 4/game) and 1 mark (av 6). 0 puff pieces on how he is the greatest player in the game (av. 4 or 5, eg, http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...arker-share-lead/story-fni5ezdm-1227294373819)

Bird
22 disposals (av. 20), 11 contested possessions, 5 clearances,1 rebound 50, 4 marks, 2 frees for (none against) and 1 goal. Puff pieces (1 paragraph, av. 0)

And to think there are some people out there who keep saying that he shouldn't even be in the side. Can't work it out.

Thought each week Rampe has a grundy like moment where he does it and you think WTF. I cannot be bothered re watching GWS but i felt like a few of the Rampe moments where caused by team mates putting him under pressure. Not excusing him at all because he needs to be better but i think the biggest mark against our defence (who do a magnificent job with what they have) is they can all get lost in a reluctance to go forward.

Then you get short sideways, back n forth type kicks or my pet peeve handballs to flat footed men.

Shaw at his best breaks the line and clears it, i like mcveigh back there because he will also. Rampe needs to back himself more perhaps. But we missed smith maybe because there was a reasonable amount of dis organisation down back

Nice to see both Shaw and Ladler firing. Our defence seems as tight as ever. Just re-watched the first half and Reid was quite active. Some turnovers mixed with some good spoils. pressure and a few intercept marks. Be even better if Reid can improve over the year and AJ comes back next year......

Nice to see both Shaw and Ladler firing. Our defence seems as tight as ever. Just re-watched the first half and Reid was quite active. Some turnovers mixed with some good spoils. pressure and a few intercept marks. Be even better if Reid can improve over the year and AJ comes back next year......

and magical pixies race the flying pigs and unicorns to gumdrop island

1. Bird can tag
2. Bird can get his own ball while tagging
3. The proof of the pudding is in the eating

Shiel
14 possessions (Averaged 28 for 2015), just 3 contested possessions (av 12) and 1 clearance. 0 goals (av 2/game) and 0 assists (av 1/game). 2 inside 50s (av 4/game) and 1 mark (av 6). 0 puff pieces on how he is the greatest player in the game (av. 4 or 5, eg, http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...arker-share-lead/story-fni5ezdm-1227294373819)

Bird
22 disposals (av. 20), 11 contested possessions, 5 clearances,1 rebound 50, 4 marks, 2 frees for (none against) and 1 goal. Puff pieces (1 paragraph, av. 0)

Apart from being overhyped, I rate Shiels as having the most punchable face in the AFL at present.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back