Smoke_Me_AKipper

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Tottenham; Philadelphia Eagles
I guess the bolded is largely aimed at me, but I don't see it as "cocky" to be challenging the assertion that we are merely a "sneaky chance" to win this game. If I or others were coming out and saying we're going to smash them, like we did Gold Coast last week (a team that most expected to be a lot better than Collingwood this year and who were playing on their home ground, in their home state) then I could see why you and all those who've liked your post might think we were getting ahead of ourselves, but we're not suggesting that we're going to smash them, I wouldn't have thought. Unless I've missed something, we're just saying we're in this game up to our ears and that we ought to not be afraid to be really confident of winning it.

There is a thread on the main board asking if we are chance to win this game and if it was just parochialism of a few on here to suggest that we are a strong chance, then the resounding response to that thread would be that we are no chance, but there a plenty who reckon we're every chance and there's even this post from someone who barracks from Sydney:

Collingwood are clearly on the slide and came 11th last year and since then they've lost or are missing all of the following: Sidebottom (2nd in their B&F last year), Beams (3rd in their B&F), Lumumba (4th in their B&F), Macaffer (5th in their B&F), Reid, Witts, Ball, Maxwell, Young, Keefe, Thomas and Sinclair and there's talk that Ben Kennedy has glandular fever and as such may not be in contention this week. Last week they were comprehensively beaten on their home ground, by an interstate side that didn't play finals last year, that they kept on saying in the radio commentary were playing very poorly and using the ball terribly. They kicked 12 goals 18 behinds and had 12 more scoring shots than Collingwood. Going by those numbers there is a fair chance that Collingwood were lucky to not lose that game by 10 or more goals.

We are well and truly an ordinary side, but I think it's very safe to say that Collingwood just at the moment (given all their injuries in particular) are as well and possibly their biggest weakness is their terrible ball use (check out their individual DE stats for last week's game v Adelaide, for an example of that) and that poor disposal is only likely to be exacerbated if we bring the same sort of defensive pressure that we crushed Gold Coast with last week, which is a big part of the reason I believe this game is so "winnable". Their back 6 in particular is meant to be very shaky by foot, so if we bring the defensive forward pressure again they may struggle to get it out of there.

If that makes me "cocky" then so be it. I'd rather believe in myself and back myself in when I believe I or something I'm involved in is capable of something than be all defeatist or meek about it. That's the exact way you only win one premiership in 100+ years I reckon.

Are they, especially if Pendlebury was to miss? Even if Pendlebury plays, as I imagine he probably will, they have 6 who have played 100+ games of footy. If we pick Schneider and Roo plays, we will also have 6. We'll have 3 who have played 65-100, compared to their 2. We'll have 3 who have played between 50 and 65 games, compared to their 2 again. They'll have 3 who have played 30-50 games, compared to our 1 and they'll have 4 who have played 20-30 games, compared to our 3 (if Curren plays), we'll then have 4 who have played 10-20 and they'll have 1, we'll have 3 who have played less than 10 and they'll have as many as 4 (if Freeman and Moore do debut).

Looks extremely line-ball on the experience front to me. Both very young, rebuilding teams, with a handful of experience thrown in and plenty missing through injury.

If Nick doesn't play then it obviously gets a lot harder though. Ditto for Collingwood if Pendles doesn't play.

Does this mean we are going to lose this game?

What do teams like them have to do with Collingwood? They would be 5-10 goals (minimum, especially the last 3) better teams than this present Collingwood team. Just think what Adelaide likely would have done to them had last week's game been played over in Adelaide and Adelaide actually played well and kicked straight! :eek:

We're a chance to win but also a good chance to lose.

When you read post after post (especially after a time away) you are left with the general feeling or vibe from all the posters rather than one particular poster (well usually for me anyway). So my response was to the overall feeling I got from reading a large number of pages. The feeling I got was that by and large we were going to have a better season than what we first thought. I disagree with that and so what Kildonan posted resonated with me hence my reply.

I used the example of Port etc to show that we are indeed a bottom 3 side and we are very unlikely to win against those kind of sides.

Collingwood we are a chance as they are not as good as they used to be and if Pendles and Adams are out then we are a big chance (just got home and have not seen the teams yet)...

All good buddy :):):)

Interesting that Collingwood have bought in an extra tall with it expected to be a bit wet. Pretty confident going into this one.
More to help out Grundy in the ruck I would think. Your team have two potentially good ruckmen.

View attachment 125050
Not sure if this is the real side or not. But if it is TC is there and no Minch.

Wish they'd start up a Fox Footy 2 and start coverage of the second and state comps. That's a pretty bloody good team right there.

@AFL_PKeane: Rd 3 teams named -
Coll v StK;
Dwyer, Gault in for Fasolo, Sinclair.
Schneider in for Curren.
traffic.gif

Genuinely no idea why we would name Schneider for Curren.

I understand Schneids is an experienced head and a beautiful kick, but we are in rebuild mode here. Either give Curren an extended run of 3 or 4 games to show what he can do, or bring in Minch or Eli.

Another game into Schneider isn't good long-term. We have Billings who can play that high-half forward role that Schneider played in round 1, and Minch/Eli who can also do the job (to a slightly lesser effect) if Richo wasn't satisfied with Curren's effort on the weekend.

Also, they chose to highlight how well Curren played on the website so clearly they were happy with his game and then he gets dropped the next week???

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Very happy to see we've gone with what looks to be our best available team and brought Schneids back in after he was one of our best in round 1 and brings lots of experience to the table, which will be very useful on the big stage of a Friday night game at the G in front of a big crowd. Him in for TC was a bit of a no-brainer for mine, as he is a pretty decent upgrade and much more likely to have a good, damaging game. Really looking forward to him, Billings and Lonie delivering the ball into our forward line.

If the two teams line up as named, we now have 3 who have played 200+ games to their 2, both teams will have 6 who have played 100+ and we'll have 12 who have played 50 or more games to their 9, with both teams having 3 who have played less than 10.

Last edited:
May 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda

I understand Schneids is an experienced head and a beautiful kick, but we are in rebuild mode here. Either give Curren an extended run of 3 or 4 games to show what he can do, or bring in Minch or Eli.

Another game into Schneider isn't good long-term. We have Billings who can play that high-half forward role that Schneider played in round 1, and Minch/Eli who can also do the job (to a slightly lesser effect) if Richo wasn't satisfied with Curren's effort on the weekend.

Also, they chose to highlight how well Curren played on the website so clearly they were happy with his game and then he gets dropped the next week???

Rather confused by this. Definitely thought that TC was guaranteed a spot this week after watching this video.

Maybe it's as simple as Schneider being considered best 22, and TC being ranked the 22nd best player in our best 22 from last week? IMO I'd prefer TC in the side, but 20 touches from Schneids is better than 20 touches from most of our side.

Least we know we're going for the win.

Aug 25, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, San Antonio Spurs

Agree with this, but I think bringing Schneids in is actually a good idea IMO (& I can't stand Schneider at all). I believe he's brought in as the coach believes we can we the game & would greatly benefit from Schneids' MCG experience.

I'm not too fussed cos Schneids really stuck it up me in round 1 by being one of our best, however I do agree that at some point this year, Minchington needs to come in to this role

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy with the change, another 22 disposals and two goals will do just fine thanks. Like Kingsley said in the selection video when we've got someone of that calibre coming back unfortunately someone has to make way.

Very much looking forward to seeing how Billings goes in his second game back.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
Very happy to see we've gone with what looks to be our best available team and brought Schneids back in after he was one of our best in round 1 and brings lots of experience to the table, which will be very useful on the big stage of a Friday night game at the G in front of a big crowd. Him in for TC was a bit of a no-brainer for mine, as he is a pretty decent upgrade and much more likely to have a good, damaging game. Really looking forward to him, Billings and Lonie delivering the ball into our forward line.

If the two teams line up as named, we now have 3 who have played 200+ games to their 2, both teams will have 6 who have played 100+ and we'll have 12 who have played 50 or more games to their 9, with both teams having 3 who have played less than 10.
My math might be off but that means we have 24 players and they have 21?

Agree with this, but I think bringing Schneids in is actually a good idea IMO (& I can't stand Schneider at all). I believe he's brought in as the coach believes we can we the game & would greatly benefit from Schneids' MCG experience.

I'm not too fussed cos Schneids really stuck it up me in round 1 by being one of our best, however I do agree that at some point this year, Minchington needs to come in to this role

he adds a lot of experience and earned his spot on his last game. With out montagna and Ray we need guys of that experience. We should be trying to win some early games before the wheels fall off late season.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Win a game based on hardness... Replace one of the hardnuts for a soft veteran...
I think you're getting a bit carried away with your TC love and advocacy. You don't want to end up like Coop who doesn't seem to be able to post anything about Spencer without bagging Lee.

Stewart66

Premiership Player
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Left out Swan, Seedsman, Crisp, Goldsack, Ramsay, Fasolo and Varcoe although the last two may be on the plus side for you.:(
I seriously think that if Adams and Pendlebury are outs, then the match will be very close.
Your guys had a great win last week and Richo has you on the right track. Really like Weller, good pick-up.:thumbsu:
I now go to games not only hoping we will win but just as importantly, no injuries. (To either team).

Hope they actually play it smart .....rest Reiwoldt play Paddy going to be wet
Focus on getting him right for NZ game with Montagna long year.

Hope they actually play it smart .....rest Reiwoldt play Paddy going to be wet
Focus on getting him right for NZ game with Montagna long year.
I am wishing the same for Pendlebury and Adams rested, save them for the Bombers game, would be good to see Moore play.
Should still be a good game depending on the weather.

AuntieBarrels

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Wright probably gets the green vest again tomorrow night. I don't think Saad will get it since hes such an important part of our forward 50 pressure that will be integral for us early on in the game.

I would have dropped Wright and given him a full game in the VFL since he hasn't played a full match in a while now, and would have brought Eli or Minchy in, or even kept Curren in our side. Kind of weird to see Curren go out like that, the whole video was about how important Curren was and he gets dropped after a good outing against the Suns?

But I guess Schneids is a great in, brings in extra class and poise.

Carn the Sainters! Really hope we win by 5 goals at least.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
I was happy to go with no change but Schneids is a good in. Especially with Joey out it's good to have a little class an experience.

A lot "experts" jumping on the bandwagon and picking the Saints. I'm just hoping to see a good game, which I think we'll see of we show the same sort of effort we gave last week.

There's a good vibe around the club at the moment. Still a long way to go but we are starting to see things working.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
he adds a lot of experience and earned his spot on his last game. With out montagna and Ray we need guys of that experience. We should be trying to win some early games before the wheels fall off late season.

Yeah I think we still need Schneider's experience out there when we have such a young side and he showed in Rd1 he's still worth his spot in our best 22, younger guys like Templeton and Minchington will get more opportunities in the future but Schneider is a better option at this stage and gives us a better chance of winning. A win against Collingwood on the big Friday night stage will do wonders for both our players and supporters so we should be picking the best team available to try and win the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back