Preview Round 3: Fremantle Dockers v Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the changes although I'm 50/50 on Hudson for Longer. Bewick always seems to be in and out I think at some stage we have to give him a run of games to see what he has got

I am looking forward to see the Midfield in action with no Black and to step up. Lets put in a better effort then last week! I think Brown will demand it.

Then to crush the Suns.

Yay! Good in's.

Brown and Drummond no-brainers if available.

Harwood is our best replacement for Black. He's been on fire so far this year, and would've been close even without Blacky's broken hand.

Raines is going to be very important for us. He'll probably try to tag Mundy, and Pavlich when he goes into the middle. He's quick and strong, and did a good job on Pavlich last year.

Longer! Good luck lad. I imagine the plan will be to play Leuenberger for 70% in the ruck, with Billy mainly a target up forward. It's a gamble, but maybe we decided his forward presence will be useful. Could be one change too many on top of the others.

I think this week we're finally getting close to the team structure Voss would've been planning during the off season.

I do tend to get a little paranoid when there are five changes to a side.

Having said that, Lions by 62

We got flogged by 91 points at home, Mark Harvey knows the Dockers, they're all good changes, I think it's a good thing overall :thumbsu:

Very happy with the team really. As someone pointed out before, Stiller etc will now need to work their way back in through form rather than being automatic selections.

Hope Karny has another blinder in the ressies so we can see him back soon as well.

I'm a big fan of the ins and outs this week.

Despite what people have said, Stiller's poor disposal for me actually stood out as poorer than the rest of our boys, and let directly to a couple of goals last week.

I'm so happy for Rhino to be getting his chance. I know he will play his heart out. I'm also really happy for Billy. Baptism of fire heading to Perth and coming up against the big boys, but he will be eased in at FF, so we shall see what he can do under pressure.

Merret back down back and Drummo back in the team will add skill, class, stopping power and rebounding power back to our back line. (back). I am shattered for Niall, as he puts in a monster effort, and he would be perfect for the large Subi track, but I can see why he was left out.

Raines in as tagger leaves Beams free to roam half foward and kick some easy goals.

So yes, overall very satisfied. I'm all jittery for Saturday now.

Edit: Oh yes, and obviously big JB in is a huge bonus. I keep taking that as just a given though.

Yay! Good in's.

Brown and Drummond no-brainers if available.

Harwood is our best replacement for Black. He's been on fire so far this year, and would've been close even without Blacky's broken hand.

Raines is going to be very important for us. He'll probably try to tag Mundy, and Pavlich when he goes into the middle. He's quick and strong, and did a good job on Pavlich last year.

I only watched a quarter and a bit of the freo's game against Geelong and same against Sydney so couldn't tell for sure but wasn't Pav supposed to be playing as a forward this year? I think Fyfe is their only top mid that is currently in good form so far this season, Barlow and Mundy are a bit underdone but some of their less known midfielders have shown some improvement. If all their mids were in good form I think they're comfortably ahead of us but lucky for us they're not.

Beams to Fyfe? Expecting him to have a good game after the lesson Murphy gave him last week.

Yeah the plan is for Pavlich to play mostly up forward. If the game gets tight he'll get thrown into the middle for impact - Raines is a good match up there.

I think Patfull is a good match up for Fyfe actually. Good spoiler, and can follow these tall roaming marking types eg Goodes.

Beams can be either used as a HFF for tagger in this match. If their midfielders start dominating we can go with 2 taggers in Raines and Beams. Claye has good gut running ability, something that'll be needed in Subiaco.

Interesting some posters' call of McKeever, Stiller and Bewick being dropped would be leaving out 3 of our better runners - made no impact on the decision in the end.

Think we'll have to play very smart this weekend. If we try to match Fremantle run's like what we did last week, we'll be in trouble.

Yeah can't be bothered getting into the Stiller debate , I've given my thoughts on him multiple times but I think he is a little underrated and is a bit hard done by to miss out after one bad game. Still, others have demanded selection and have been duly rewarded.

Hard to believe but I think Stiller and Drummond are competing for the same spot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I might throw a sneaky tenner on the Lions.

Last time the Lions were at $8 in WA my bacon was saved by a naughty $5.

Never write off the all-powerful, awe-inspiring, awe-some (lol) LIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My bet would be Jesse again for impact in the last quarter. I would imagine that they coaching staff have the same attitude as some on this board that getting game time into Jared is quite important.

That's pretty much my thought patterns too but the other part of my thinking goes along the lines of Jesse was the sub last week and only came on late (from memory). To travel all the way to Perth and have him do the same thing means he might not get a lot out of it....

Still think it'll be Jesse but just thinking is all.

To me it appears Voss has a plan to rotate the subs each week. For this reason I think he will go with Polec as sub although personally I'd prefer to see O'Brien.

I really hope Harwood doesn't get the green vest though as I think we'll need what he can offer in the middle from the first bounce.

To me it appears Voss has a plan to rotate the subs each week. For this reason I think he will go with Polec as sub although personally I'd prefer to see O'Brien.

I really hope Harwood doesn't get the green vest though as I think we'll need what he can offer in the middle from the first bounce.
Couldn't agree more Swanny.

Harwood's selection does give some credence to the notion that he is seen as the direct replacement for Blacky. On that basis, I hope they don't make him the sub. We've got 25+ possessions and a bunch of clearances to make up for in Black's absence and Harwood is the best placed player to assist with that, particularly in terms of contested stuff.

Never even contemplated Rhino for the sub to be honest as I agree we need him to play. But he has been the sub before, and that decision still baffles me...

After two rounds into a season all teams are a bit of an unknown in terms of how good they really are, but I think this is particularly the case for Freo and Brisbane.

Before round 1 it was thought we were rubbish, after round 1 we were thought to be much improved, and after round 2 we are thought to be rubbish again. A win this week would completely change perceptions again.

After two rounds into a season all teams are a bit of an unknown in terms of how good they really are, but I think this is particularly the case for Freo and Brisbane.

Before round 1 it was thought we were rubbish, after round 1 we were thought to be much improved, and after round 2 we are thought to be rubbish again. A win this week would completely change perceptions again.
I said last week that Carlton were looking to prove they were a top 4 side and we were still looking to prove that we weren't a bottom 4 side. In demolishing us, Carlton probably showed that they are top 4 capable and we did ourselves no favours in arguing that we deserve to be more highly regarded than 16th or 15th.

This week, I don't think Freo can really change people's perception about them. I reckon most pundits have them as a probable top 8 side who can perhaps aim high at a spot in the 4th-6th range. No matter how well they beat us, I don't think that people's perceptions will change. Obviously, a loss to us will mean lots of questions are asked.

For us, the only way we can disprove the notion that we're a bottom 4 side is to push Freo every inch of the way (or win, obviously!). The only redeeming feature of our performances last year (in the eyes of the pundits) was that we pushed a lot of sides in our games. The catchcry seems to be "The Lions were competitive". While the side would look to get better results from that competitiveness, I don't think this is a game that we can realistically expect to do any better an honourable loss. Our reputation would be somewhat restored after the Carlton debacle if we can push Freo every inch of the way.

I don't totally discount the possibility of a win. I think we've got a few very proud footballers in our mix that would have been sorely embarassed on Easter Thursday. That will hopefully serve as motivation to do better this time. We've got back Brown and Drummond who are so structurally important to us. If they returned to close to best form, if the midfield can not only cover for Black but go to a new level and if Leuenberger/Longer can negate the influence of Sandilands/Clarke, then we are a rough chance of taking this one out.

I still think Freo by about 6 goals. They are in reasonable form, have home ground advantage and would expect to win this comfortably.

But this is the best our side has looked on paper for some time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back