Round 3 Hawthorn vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, whoever is the resting ruckman, it can interchange between McCauley/Hale. No ruck work for Roughead.

Going purely on weight/Height that is what seems logical.

Shoenmakers on Lynch, both inexperienced, similar height/weight

Roughead on Taylor walker, again similar height/weight. I take it most people think Roughead will be too good, but hey it will send a good message that he can take on bigger tasks.

It would be good to have Gunston/Franklin combination in the fwd line, Franklin at his most dangerous closer to goal and plenty of room to lead.

Do you think if last Monday, one of our ruckman was on Hawkins and Roughead on IPod, we would have done better ?[/quote]

Geez I wish it was as simple as Height and Weight - Just draft the biggest ugliest gronk you can find and your done! And I certainly dont thing having Hale or McCauley on PODS or HAWKINS would have faired any better. They are NO WAY near mobile or explosive enough on these Players.

Having either of them on Tippett would most likely spell disaster for the same reason. About the only upside would be they might be able to contest a bit better in the one on one but even that is a HUGE might, as they would have to get into correct positioning and not grapple too much to give away a free in front of goal etc etc

You can't take a BIG guy that plays ruck and forward and turn him into a competative defender just because he is BIG. Roughy is a freak and not anywhere near as big and immobile as our rucks. He is the only option that could go back and that still does not mean he would make an excellent defender, although with Roughy I think he could.

Sounds right. We have adam pattison, the ideal height and weight you want as a match up against big fwds, therefore 100 kg, 197 cm, but whether he has ability/form is a different issue.

I think Max did quite well drifting into the backline. I was hoping atleast the resting ruckman can do that, but also really need the defenders to help each other out, not play one on one.

Others are right, port have 3 big guys in Carlisle, trengrove, chaplin. It seems we are looking for both a fb & chb. Hope our backman can work together, not one on one in isolation. We came close last year, having gunston and roughead surely should make us better.

It is a shame that after we got rough/frankin we did not go for at least one big backman likes of frawley, but we have to work with what we have got for this year at least.

I don’t think Gibson on tippet is the answer either, he will need assistance.

The Tippett matchup is the one that probably bothers most of us this week.

Could we play Hale on Tippett......he hasnt really set the world on fire so far this year. Maybe give him a job to do down back and see how he goes.
I am not sure he has the speed, but def has the height and the strength.

Could we play Hale on Tippett......he hasnt really set the world on fire so far this year. Maybe give him a job to do down back and see how he goes.

No not a good time to send Hale back for the first time in his career, we just need either Gibson, Stratton or both to peel off their men at the right times and spoil as the 3rd man.

No way we will send Hale down back - moving him from the forwardline would mean we would have to replace him with a more agile type like Gunston & that would make us far too mobile & dynamic... :eek:

Roughie, that's the man. Gunston to take his spot up forward. Gibson on Walker, Stratton and Schoey floating around. We would be tall back there though

Breust playing a different role this year. His strength is reading the incoming ball on the lead - he is a bit like Willo was in terms of getting to the drop half a second before others - but this year he has been up the ground running back into space etc and having to think like a midfielder. Bit of a mind**** for him probably which is why his confidence is down.

He has ability and creativity and a confident Breust is a really important player for us as he is a proven avenue to goal. I am glad we have stuck with him this week.

I am more worried about the Crows burst players like Porpoise and Dangers than Tippet. Jacobs is underrated for them in the ruck. Another good test for the Broc star.

After the Carlton v Collingwood game, the commentators were summarizing the other games for the round, and Dennis Cometti mentioned something about Hill debuting for the Hawks this weekend. Now normally I'd put that down to senility, but Luke Hodge was sitting right beside him and didn't bat an eyelid.

After the Carlton v Collingwood game, the commentators were summarizing the other games for the round, and Dennis Cometti mentioned something about Hill debuting for the Hawks this weekend. Now normally I'd put that down to senility, but Luke Hodge was sitting right beside him and didn't bat an eyelid.

If that's the case, sounds like he may have been on the same flight to Melb as Hill's parents or he got the news via Perth

27 degrees and mostly sunny on sunday arvo, weird at this time a year considering last week against the Cats it was only 17.

Sorry to go of the topic here, but does anybody think we will get about 40,000 on sunday? That would be a great effort if we could. Adelaide do actually have a good supporter base here in melbourne behind the swans when it comes to the interstate teams.

Highest Crowds against interstate teams in Melbourne recently
2007 @ MCG versus Sydney 48398
2008 @ MCG versus Sydney 49529
2009 @ MCG versus Sydney 44,464
2009 @ MCG versus Adelaide 32,583
2010 @ MCG versus Sydney 36,003

Can Hawthorn vs Sydney pull a crowd @ the G :eek: Imagine if we had played them there this year we would get 50,000. Those crowd attendence there against Sydney are the only time there have been a crowd of more then 40,000 or over against an interstate team in Melbourne in the H & A fixture i can think of.

If Gunston is sub again, im going to rip my hair out, and im still trying to grow back the hair i ripped out from last weeks game... freakin Handbags.

If Gunston is sub again, im going to rip my hair out, and im still trying to grow back the hair i ripped out from last weeks game... freakin Handbags.
Yup, I'm with you. Didn't even bother doing a HawkEye post on my man Gunston this week, was lucky to play half a quarter. Would really like to see him given a whole game. Ossie can be sub.

We look slow on paper...can't wait till we see all of Smith, Savage, Poppy, Hill in the team...Carmella speed last night was lethal!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm with the guys above on Gunston, can't believe he has been a sub the first two weeks, was recruited for a reason, let him loose FFS

No way we will send Hale down back - moving him from the forwardline would mean we would have to replace him with a more agile type like Gunston & that would make us far too mobile & dynamic... :eek:

You read my mind, spot on.

Welcome back Kyle Cheney - I can only assume you have been held back for the last two weeks to see how the backline went without you.

Roughead to be the sub based on three (4) factors:
1. 3 games in 13 days is a tough ask
2. Hale is playing
3. The extra defender to help out is Cheney
4. What a super sub - can fill almost every position.
A win and we may have some confidence to challenge WC. I Don't want to think about what could happen if we lose. Very important game against quality opposition.

I can only assume RealHawk and Hawk88 are referring to marking contests? But if you watch Breust (as I do a lot because I learn a fair bit from how he positions/moves) he sums up the marking contest and keeps his feet when it is the better option - this can appear as though he is not going hard enough.

He is hard at the contest when on ground level and tackles well. There was one situation in the middle of the ground where he could have gone harder at the ball - but didn't. This would have been shown to him during the week and he will learn from it.

But to say he is soft is absolutely 100% incorrect. He is not Joel Sellwood with reckless displays of stupidity - but he is not soft, rather a very smart footballer.

If you want to have a crack at anyone, Jordan Lewis was confronted by Joel Corey in a 50/50, Lewis pulled out. Is that what you mean when you say "when it is your turn to go"?

You make some very valid points, but you are right, I thought his efforts in some marking contents were very ordinary, if you play as a forward isn't it your obligation to go for the mark or atleast contest it? There were a few other incidents in the last quarter where i wish he dove Or contested the ball. I think the incident I'm referring to is the one you mentioned.

I hope I eat my words against Adelaide as I think bruest could become a good player for hawthorn.

P.S
Just to clarify I don't think his soft, I just think he has to go harder sometimes not try and do a Buckley and stray around the packs.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Hill come in for Shiels. Heard that Shiels is a chance to miss again, still sore from the bad corkie he copped. This is just from a source, probably isn't correct though lol, hope not anyway!

As much as I would love to see Hill debut, we need shiels back in asap.

You make some very valid points, but you are right, I thought his efforts in some marking contents were very ordinary, if you play as a forward isn't it your obligation to go for the mark or atleast contest it? There were a few other incidents in the last quarter where i wish he dove Or contested the ball. I think the incident I'm referring to is the one you mentioned.

I hope I eat my words against Adelaide as I think bruest could become a good player for hawthorn.

P.S
Just to clarify I don't think his soft, I just think he has to go harder sometimes not try and do a Buckley and stray around the packs.
I think the incident in the last qtr you mention has been highlighted, which is a good thing, clearly a mistake by Breust and I hope he won't second guess himself like that again.
The marking contests are all similar, so often I think he is in position to attempt to mark or at least jump and contest, but in most occasions he stays down and does some body to body work on a defender. I think it is a strategy to lock the ball in the forward line, prevent an attacking rebound? It's pretty interesting watching the Hawks forward line this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back