Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Round 1 last year Tippett didn't play. Davis is went to Buddy and he only kicked 1 goal.
In round 15, while Buddy got off the leash, Davis played on Tippett who only kicked 2 goals (1 of which was while Davis was on the bench and Heater tried to kneecap him with his skull)

Davis clearly does alright against whoever he will be playing on.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Surely tho it's not about the forward match ups.... Whoever wins the centre battle takes the chocolates on such a small ground

Surely tho it's not about the forward match ups.... Whoever wins the centre battle takes the chocolates on such a small ground
I have got to agree with you there. If you dominate in the centre, you should either win or get damn close. Our defense was great week but we can't expect to concede 60+ I50s on a smaller ground. If both sides break even, I think we can win though. You'll need to win the centre though

May 24, 2014
Canberra Region
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Ricciardo#3, Sydney Thunder
Centre clearances are definitely important. However, on small grounds, rebounding defence is probably just as important. The Swans do not panic if they are losing the centre clearances, they set up to rebound from half back. A mate of mine pointed this out to me one day and have been watching the Swans do this ever since. At times it seems like they are actually content to allow the opposition to clear, so long as they put sufficient pressure on to create the turn over at half back.

Centre clearances are definitely important. However, on small grounds, rebounding defence is probably just as important. The Swans do not panic if they are losing the centre clearances, they set up to rebound from half back. A mate of mine pointed this out to me one day and have been watching the Swans do this ever since. At times it seems like they are actually content to allow the opposition to clear, so long as they put sufficient pressure on to create the turn over at half back.
Spot on observation. We conceded 62 inside 50s against Port Adelaide but that we were happy to do that as it allowed us to rebound hard from our defensive 50.

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
However, on small grounds, rebounding defence is probably just as important. The Swans do not panic if they are losing the centre clearances, they set up to rebound from half back.

Well, that explains what happened in the GF. Rebounding defence from half back doesn't work as well on larger grounds like the MCG. Probably explains why they couldn't do anything about it on the day - they didn't know what to do.

May 24, 2014
Canberra Region
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Well, that explains what happened in the GF. Rebounding defence from half back doesn't work as well on larger grounds like the MCG. Probably explains why they couldn't do anything about it on the day - they didn't know what to do.
I don't think that the Swans are that one dimensional, but they certainly struggled to get an effective game plan together.

azza77

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Manchester Utd
What's happened to devon this year? Just doesn't seem to be finding the ball at all. Kicked a freak goal last week but has been relatively unsighted apart from that. Is he one that is possibly suffering from the addition of Griffen to your midfield.

Only ask as he is one of my favourites at your club.

What's happened to devon this year? Just doesn't seem to be finding the ball at all. Kicked a freak goal last week but has been relatively unsighted apart from that. Is he one that is possibly suffering from the addition of Griffen to your midfield.

Only ask as he is one of my favourites at your club.

He's playing up forward more as our first choice midfielders have come back from injury, plus the recruitment of Griffen.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
To suggest the swans are happy to lose centre clearances because they play a good rebounding game is ludicrous.... Surely it's more a case of they are dicliplined enough to set up well as a reaction to this instance rather than it being the preference

Raymann

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GWS Giants
He has been touted all preseason. They were not sure between McCarthy and Stewart, they now have the opportunity to play both.

May 24, 2014
Canberra Region
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
To suggest the swans are happy to lose centre clearances because they play a good rebounding game is ludicrous.... Surely it's more a case of they are dicliplined enough to set up well as a reaction to this instance rather than it being the preference
Sigh..if you are referring to my comment above, try reading it again. What you say above is effectively paraphrasing my point. I added that 'at times they seem to be content to allow the opposition to clear', and does not mean to suggest there is a deliberate act there to lose the clearance.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Sigh..if you are referring to my comment above, try reading it again. What you say above is effectively paraphrasing my point. I added that 'at times they seem to be content to allow the opposition to clear', and does not mean to suggest there is a deliberate act there to lose the clearance.
you still imply they would be 'content' to loose the clearance

Don't be condecending when you say such trivial things

Thrashor

Team Captain
Oct 6, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GWS
I am really looking forward to this game - the talent on the ground is going to be awesome. I hope there is a good crowd, I will be there in my orange.
I will be shocked if we win though. The Swans were awesome last week in the second hardest game for an away team you can get (Freo at home #1). Whereas we continue to struggle to play 4 quarters which I think will be the killer.
I think Cam McCarthy (played 3, won 3) will create a few headaches if the supply is there though. He does repeat leads and is quick for his size and I don't think Grundy or Reid would match him on the lead. I am assuming Richards goes to JC.
Go Giants.

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Coney Island, GWS, The Exers!

except we won it two years earlier with rebounding being the main driver for our attack. last year we lost because we played like s**t, doesn't matter what gameplan it is we were second to the ball all day. didn't chase didn't tackle. didn't kick straight.

Back