Round 3 v Western Bulldogs, Saturday Night @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

^^Their speed worries me. I think we're a much quicker team than we used to be but as I've said a few times I think we've got one too many talls in the forward line and backline and I can see them running rings around us, particularly if we don't mark the ball.

They are quicker over the ground then us. That is a problem.

In: Peake
Out: Newnes

I've watched the Doggies in their two matches this year. They were smashed by WCE in the opening match and lost to Adelaide after snatching the lead early in the last quarter after a sustained effort in the third quarter to get right back into it.

In the first match, their running players Boyd, Liberatore, Dahlhaus, Cross, Clay Smith, Picken and Higgins were all quite good. Their defence let them down, in particular Lake and Markovic. Liam Jones up forward was better than expected. Their most effective talls were Murphy, Minson and Roughead.

Against Adelaide, Cross, Boyd, Griffin, Picken, Gia, Dahlhaus and Cooney were all strong. Of the talls, Murphy and Lake were very good with Hargrave and Markovic also doing well. The doggies nearly snatched this one from the very much in form Adelaide.

Now they are staring at 0 - 3 coming up against the Saints. It is a danger match for us.

There is no doubt that a midfield containing Boyd, Cross, Griffin, and Cooney must be a challenge, but it is their younger players coming through that holds the ballance here; Liberatore, Dahlhaus, Picken, and the new guy Clay Smith - underestimate them at your peril.

The defence redeemed itself after a pathetic display in week 1, I have no idea how they will perform this week.

I suspect WB might look at bringing in Ayce Cordy and maybe Jason Tutt from the VFL to sharpen up their forward line (?play Minson and Roughead up forward and Cordy in ruck)

Gia and Higgins remain dangerous up forward and Liam Jones might be developing into a fair CHF

Another player I might mention is a mature aged rookie who plays as a small forward, Tory Dickson. He has been the sub in both matches and hasn't quite clicked yet but he looks dangerous. Could be an effective impact player late in a match soon.

All in all a very good challenge for the Saints this week and more experience for the fledgeling coaching group to hone their skills and gain some confidence in each other.

Great summary Kildonan

"Gia and Higgins remain dangerous up forward and Liam Jones might be developing into a fair CHF."

Who is a good match up for Gia?? Gia can be brutal and damaging. One of the best kicks for goal going around.

I agree about the speed factor and therefore i think Peake will also come in, along side Polo who had a good first round game, but i can't exactly see who will come out, it may well be at the cost of a youngen.

IN: Polo, Peake
OUT: Cripps, ??(Newnes)??

Taking out one quick player for another doesn't really solve anything though. If Peake were to come in it would probably be at Newnes' expense as he might've just been given a taste of AFL, though I'd prefer to see them both in and take out one of the talls.

I highly, highly doubt that Peake's going to come back in. Would expect another quick player, that's younger, to take that spot. Saad?

Kosi has to stay in,if you watched the game closely he almost snared another 1/2 dozen marks which didn't stick,he is so close to tearing a game apart he will kick 5 or 6 in the coming weeks.

I think were to harsh on him he is needed for structure as well, as he takes a very good backman to play on him.

Kosi has to stay in,if you watched the game closely he almost snared another 1/2 dozen marks which didn't stick,he is so close to tearing a game apart he will kick 5 or 6 in the coming weeks.

I think were to harsh on him he is needed for structure as well, as he takes a very good backman to play on him.
I think we've been hearing that about Kosi since 2004. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read it in an article i wasnt there to see the match myself but they said he was one of the best, the reason im saying he should be reconsidered this week is because i think we may have a few too many talls and need some more speed vs doggies.

I read it in an article i wasnt there to see the match myself but they said he was one of the best, the reason im saying he should be reconsidered this week is because i think we may have a few too many talls and need some more speed vs doggies.

i feel we need to play tall with no dominate FB our structure is still good though

Hey, I was wondering, there's going to be a live act performing before the match right? Does anyone know who it is? If they're alright I might try and pop in early, if not I won't bother.

if polo comes in for one of the youngsters il be pissed off. he is useless. just play the youth we have seen glimpses of promising players from milera, ledger, simpkin, cripps, stanley, siposs and most of all steven and the big mac and im sure if we keep playing newnes we will too.
My point is keep palying them as they will only get better. Don't bring in a bad kick, a useless player for the future of the club and a Richmond de listed player for a promising youngster.
If it was up to me I wouldn't play ray or peake again unless an injury and wouldn't play polo ever! I would also nearly drop C.Jones. he isnt as good of a tagger these days and he has a rubbish disposal of the footy. just play ledger in the midfield full time and drop jones for ross, saad, siposs or maybe curren could get a game if he continues good form for sandi.
All I am saying the more youth now the sooner the good future will come. Also it wont be that big of a drop on game day if were only dropping bad players like ray, peake, jones, polo

if polo comes in for one of the youngsters il be pissed off. he is useless. just play the youth we have seen glimpses of promising players from milera, ledger, simpkin, cripps, stanley, siposs and most of all steven and the big mac and im sure if we keep playing newnes we will too.
My point is keep palying them as they will only get better. Don't bring in a bad kick, a useless player for the future of the club and a Richmond de listed player for a promising youngster.
If it was up to me I wouldn't play ray or peake again unless an injury and wouldn't play polo ever! I would also nearly drop C.Jones. he isnt as good of a tagger these days and he has a rubbish disposal of the footy. just play ledger in the midfield full time and drop jones for ross, saad, siposs or maybe curren could get a game if he continues good form for sandi.
All I am saying the more youth now the sooner the good future will come. Also it wont be that big of a drop on game day if were only dropping bad players like ray, peake, jones, polo
Mate!! You are spot on. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Juggling act Bakes.... Some game time into the youngsters, then back for a spell at Sandy.... Some game time for the older, more mature bodies, then out for a spell.

I don't think we can afford to go "young" and finish 7-15 for the season.

Hey, I was wondering, there's going to be a live act performing before the match right? Does anyone know who it is? If they're alright I might try and pop in early, if not I won't bother.

The guy from Hunter and Collectors. I can't remember what his name is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back