Preview Round 3 vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a 0-2 start we come up against Melbourne who are also 0-2 but seem to be travelling much worse than we are given they lost to Brisbane and were thumped by the Eagles.

This is our best chance for a win in the first 5 weeks and we must do everything to ensure that it happens.

On the injury front we've got King out for 6 weeks with a PCL while Foley will be playing with a broken nose suffered last week against the Pies. Apart from that we're pretty well at full strength minus the LTI players.

Possible Line Up:

B: Morris Rance Batchelor
HB: Houli Grimes Newman
C: Conca Cotchin Deledio
HF: Martin Vickery Grigg
F: Miller Riewoldt Nahas
R: I.Maric Tuck Foley
INT: Edwards Jackson Ellis A.Maric

Out: King In: A.Maric

Others in the frame for a call up include Webberley White Arnot McGuane Graham Dea.

Waltz17

Team Captain
Nov 8, 2011
WA
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah Jackson will probably play... He had better step up. I would want White playing that forward role, or else have Nahas there and Weberley as the sub.

Good thing they're without Sylvia and Green has been in poor form - these are two guys I think have given us some trouble in recent years.

Frawley v Reiwoldt should be an interesting one. Frawley plays very well on Reiwoldt even when he's up and about.

I'm not entirely sure of Melbournes possible line up, I'm yet to see them play this year, but I remember them using a few talls in the forward line with (now with) Clarke, Watts, Green, and a resting ruckman in either Martin, Howe, Jamar.

Then again our "smaller" defence held up very well last week, but I don't expect to see such a slow patient game against the dees so height may just catch us out a bit on the rebound.

I'm not gonna go into midfield battles, but ours SHOULD come out on top. Jones, Trengrove, and Magner were the only three who tried last week according to my WCE supporting brother.

I'm nervous, but this is one we should win and win well.

partycorolla

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Black Rock
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah Jackson will probably play... He had better step up. I would want White playing that forward role, or else have Nahas there and Weberley as the sub.

Good thing they're without Sylvia and Green has been in poor form - these are two guys I think have given us some trouble in recent years.

Frawley v Reiwoldt should be an interesting one. Frawley plays very well on Reiwoldt even when he's up and about.

I'm not entirely sure of Melbournes possible line up, I'm yet to see them play this year, but I remember them using a few talls in the forward line with (now with) Clarke, Watts, Green, and a resting ruckman in either Martin, Howe, Jamar.

Then again our "smaller" defence held up very well last week, but I don't expect to see such a slow patient game against the dees so height may just catch us out a bit on the rebound.

I'm not gonna go into midfield battles, but ours SHOULD come out on top. Jones, Trengrove, and Magner were the only three who tried last week according to my WCE supporting brother.

I'm nervous, but this is one we should win and win well.

Moloney and Jones are the types of players who have traditionally 'beat us up' in the middle with contested ball. Magner looks in good touch too. Great for us that Jurrah and Sylvia are out. If Davey comes back in, I'd almost be playing White over A.Maric just too sit on him tight all day and frustrate him. When he gets free against us, he kills us.

Waltz17

Team Captain
Nov 8, 2011
WA
AFL Club
Richmond
Moloney and Jones are the types of players who have traditionally 'beat us up' in the middle with contested ball. Magner looks in good touch too. Great for us that Jurrah and Sylvia are out. If Davey comes back in, I'd almost be playing White over A.Maric just too sit on him tight all day and frustrate him. When he gets free against us, he kills us.

Yep. I'm leaning towards White in for Jackson if Davey plays. Jackson has been playing up forward a bit and I saw him quite a lot on Shaw last week and Scotland round one, but I really think if we want a mid playing forward - it isnt Jackson.

I want Addam to play against his old club and really prove why we picked him up, but he doesn't have a defensive bone in his body.

TigerTime88

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Whitey in for Jackson and sit him on there most damaging player as this is one thing he does really well.

Addam Maric in for Kingy to kick 6 against the old brigade....

Aug 30, 2011
kensington
AFL Club
Richmond
Watts, Clarke, Dunn
Howe, Sellar, Pettard
Bail, Grimes, jones
Bennel, Rivers, Garland
T Macdonald, Frawley, Bartram.

Ruck:Jamar, Mckenzie, Trengrove

Int:Green, J Macdonald, Magner, Bate

Changes, In: Moloney(test), Tapscott, Couch, Blease S Martin.

out:Sellar, Mckenzie, Dunn, Bennel, Bail.

Just a guess on the changes, but Moloney will be a certain change if he's fit and I think Couch (40 touches) will be an inclusion, pushing out Bail and Mckenzie who are both inside players with poor ball use. Bennell wouldn't get a disposal at auskick and they really need some run so either Blease/Morton. Sellar confirmed why Adelaide cut him and if Martin is fit he'll come back as the swing ruck. Tapscott? earned a game but 5 changes is probably too many.

Fowards are all a little same same. One Tall in clark and 4 mediums in Watts, Howe, Petterd, Green and no small forward unless they recall Davey. I think we have them covered without having to bring another tall defender so no Post for mine.

richolovesgoal

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Just watched Coburg highlights, White did not feature in one of them... Elton took some nice clunks. Maric looked like he was best on by a mile. Arnott looked solid again.

King -> Maric
Jackson -> Arnott

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TOOs_Finest

Norm Smith Medallist
Richmond Tigers - 2013 Player Sponsor Minecraft
Mar 2, 2009
East of Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dallas Desire
Dees playing their Grand Final this week.

They'll come in confident they can match us, simply because we've been mentally weak against them in the past.

Simple for us. Need to treat it like any other game and go hard as ****.

Trent Cotchin will be our one constant.

Make no mistake, they know this, and will go after him like nothing else. Expect Bartram (if he plays) and McKenzie to tag team Cotch.

Lids, Dusty, Foley, etc need to at least come with similar intensity as they did last week (against much better opposition), if not more.

Ivan Maric will be another big factor, as we haven't been able to match them in the ruck in the recent past.

Our backline just needs to keep being consistent. If we retain our structures and can withstand their first qtr's heroic efforts at pressure, we'll be right after that. Need to be able to keep possession as well as we did last week. But try to reduce the errors we had when going forward.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/roarvisionarchive/tabid/11454/contentid/438528/default.aspx

I'm not a massive fan of White, but I was being serious, I'm pretty sure he doesn't feature at all.

If that link doesn't work, just go to the Richmond homepage, it's there.
You need to watch it again, Whitey was there plenty of times. No 66

0:27 - got a handball from McGuane in traffic and fed it out to O'Hanlon, who gave it to Webs, and then a kick forward results in a goal to Maric
2:41 - got the clearance
3:27 - another clearance
4:41 - burnt off two Sandy players and kicked long to our forward line when the vid faded

Waltz17

Team Captain
Nov 8, 2011
WA
AFL Club
Richmond
Just watched the coburg highlights.

Webberley prominent again, jeez he's a good VFL player.

Lovign what I'm seeing from Elton. Here's hoping he can continue to develop with no setbacks like injuries or spider bites

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I'm honestly thinking we'll drop this one. First time I've thought that about your mob in a while.

With all due respect, given the state of your team at the moment, and all the off field things over the last month, and some of your injuries/outs, I would expect us to win this pretty comfortably, by at least 30+ points. I'd say as long as we turn up to play, Melbourne are no chance.

We've played 2 probable top 4/premiership contenders and have been competitive, and on top for periods of those games. With a bit of luck at different times both results could have gone differently, Melbourne on the other hand were well beaten by a side, playing on the road, that will finish bottom 8, and were then embarrassed the next week (although against a very good side, 100 point losses are never acceptable, and we've had our share too).

Surely we'l win.

Aug 11, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Formerly Orlando Magic
My fault - The link I featured was for round 2, not round 3.

My apologies, my brain is still on Easter Break mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back