Last Time against Sydney
R8 2011 – 9.5 59 to 18.13 121

Most Goals vs Sydney
22 – W Tredrea
17 – B Lade
14 – B Ebert

KEY PLAYERS

Josh Kennedy
Is just beginning to teeter on the edge of being an elite midfielder. His last two years since crossing to Sydney have been excellent and he looks to have raised the bar again in 2012. Averaging over 31 disposals a match in the first two rounds, he is currently sitting 5th in total disposals, 2nd in contested possessions and 4th in clearances across the league. His ability to not only win the ball in close but also to will himself on to contest after contest is something a few PAFC midfielders should look at closely.

Sam Reid
Is there a more athletic young key forward in the league right now? Currently 7th out of key forwards for contested marks and he never looks out of a marking contest. Massive leap, great on the lead, super sticky hands, all Sam needs to be a genuine star is to improve his set shots on goal. No doubt in a few years’ time he will be a household name, but right now he holds one of the keys to a Swans victory on the weekend. If Trengove or Carlile can stop Reid from running at the contest and getting his hands on the ball then Port Adelaide have every chance of beating Sydney.

Adam Goodes
A bit Captain Obvious but its hard to see exactly who we have in the lineup that could run with Goodes if he hits top form on Saturday. Adam has picked up Brownlow votes in 3 of the last 4 matches between the sides. Do we play someone like Chaplin on him and risk getting blown away? Do we play someone like Ebert on him who has the endurance and strength to run with him but not the pace. Or do we try someone a bit left of centre like Paul Stewart who has the height, pace and strength to run with him through the midfield? Either way, there is no doubt that Adam will cause a lot of headaches on the weekend, no matter what position he plays.

KEY YOUNGSTERS

Alex Johnson
Alex has improved a lot over the last 12 months. After playing 20 matches last year, he looks to have made a spot has a rebounding third tall his own this year in very much a Grant Birchall type manner. He picked up 24 disposals against Fremantle and although he made a number of mistakes early, he has the height, the pace and the athleticism to play on and cause issues for someone like a Westhoff or Stewart if they are not on their game.

Luke Parker
Amazing that GWS overlooked this guy. Had a huge pre season, was very impressive in his ability to win the ball and his skills. Looks like a typical Sydney player and whilst his first two rounds were relatively quiet (subbed against GWS after injury), he is a player that could hurt us if we are not careful.

Gary Rohan
Into his third year in the system now, the former first round draft pick is just itching to have a break out match. What better place to do that than against Port Adelaide at AAMI. Super quick, super skilful and plenty of X factor, he is tye type of youngster that could break out with a 20 disposal, 2 goal effort to come through as a match winner.

PREDICTION
Its hard to tip Port Adelaide to beat Sydney. We never beat them. Even when we were great we still struggled to get over the line against them. Sydney are on a 7 match unbeaten streak against Port Adelaide and the last time Port won was in 2006. Its about time Port Adelaide broke this hoodoo they have with Sydney and really come out and put everything on the line for victory. I think we have the possible tall forwards to cause their defence some strife and if we can keep Sam Reid in check, then I think we have the defence to shut them down. Like the St Kilda and Essendon match, this matchup will all come down to the midfield. If ours turns up, we could and should win this match. If it doesn’t, then Sydney have the midfielders, the pace, the contested ability to run away with the match. My heart says Port can win this, but I think my head still says Sydney

Sydney by 32 points.

If I Could Turn Back Time

1997 vs Geelong – Ground Zero
The date was 12th April 1997. The opposition was Geelong. The occasion, the clubs first victory at AFL level. After a couple of solid defeats at the hands of Collingwood and Essendon, Port Adelaide went into the Round 3 match against the Cats with plenty of promise and enthusiasm and came away with the victory.

Port Adelaide dominated the first half, winning the ball out of the midfield and having targets up forward in Cummings and Lockwood. Peter Burgoyne kicked the first goal of the match after sharking a boundary throw in deep in the forward pocket and wheeling onto his right foot. Donald Dickie took a hanger on the wing whilst Heuskes acted as the general down back.
Port Adelaide kept Geelong goalless in the opening term and led by 21 points at the first change. It was the second term where it put on the after burners and took a commanding lead into half time. Quick goals to Poole, Brown and Cummings saw the club lead 6.7 to 0.3 before Geelong slotted their first goal. Port went into half time 39 points in front with Primus and Brown dominant in the midfield, Paxman and Heuskes great down back and with Cummings and Lockwood having scored 2 goals each.
Geelong had a solid third quarter and looked to be working their way back into the match until two freak goals from Francis – with a long bomb from 55 – and Francou – with a tight snap from the pocket – saw Port take a 49 point lead into the final change.

The last quarter saw Geelong kick some cheap goals late in the match but it was Port Adelaides night, winning its first match at AFL level by 39 points. A memorable occasion and it was the start of a run of 4 straight victories for the club.

David Brown was best on ground with 30 disposals and a goal, whilst his midfield mates Donald Dickie (26 touches and a goal) and Brayden Lyle (24 touches) won plenty of the football. Adam Heuskes and Stephen Paxman did the job down back with the help of Shane Bond and Gavin Wanganeen. Paxman kept Barry Stoneham to just the 3 kicks and a goal.

It was the forward line though which showed the most promise. Scott Cummings, after a torrid time against Essendon, kicked 5 goals and could have ended with a couple more but for some customary poor kicking. Bowen Lockwood put forth a stunning display in his second match, kicking 4 goals from 5 marks and patrolling the half forward line like a veteran. Peter Burgoyne showed plenty of zip and Darryl Poole kicked 2 goals of his own in one of his better games at AFL level. And of course, with the first Showdown a week later, it wouldn’t be a big match without Pooley getting himself suspended after clocking Leigh Colbert in the face late in the last quarter.

F: P Burgoyne / S Cummings / B Lockwood
HF: S Breuer / D Poole / J Francou
C: D Dickie / B Lyle / M Wilson
HB: A Kingsley / D Mead / F Francis
B: A Heuskes / S Paxman / S Bond

R: M Primus / D Brown / G Wanganeen

I: S Carter / I Downsborough / B Lade

PA 3.5 / 8.11 / 13.17 / 18.21 (129)
G 0.2 / 3.2 / 7.4 / 14.6 (90)

BEST: Brown, Dickie, Paxman, Lockwood, Cummings, Lyle, Bond, Wanganeen
GOALS: Cummings 5; Lockwood 4; Francou, Poole 2; Brown, Burgoyne, Dickie, Francis, Lade

If we are going to win this game, we need to out grunt them

some rain would also be handy

Nice write up Macca but I'm pretty sure Luke Parker was picked up in the 2010 draft iirc.

Edit: Yep pick 40, 2010, I thought so as him and Hallahan were two players I wanted for us at pick 35 and 36.

Dont see us winning this one, I think Sydney will have improved again this year, so lets hope that we've caught up some in the off-season or it could get ugly. Hoping for a nice day and a decent crowd. Dragging a few rellies along for this one.

Can't see us winning this game under any circumstances. Sydney own us, they have no passengers in their line-up and a heap of unheralded highly effective midfielders. On paper and performance, they s**t all over Essendon and St Kilda's midfields. They bat extremely deep in their small man brigade and moreover their smalls all contribute on the scoreboard also.

If that isn't bad enough, they have three highly effective rebounding defenders in Mattner, Malceski and Rhys Shaw who defend and attack extremely well. Then there is the prospect of kicking goals on Ted Richards (yet another "reject" who has become a great player at Sydney) and Heath Grundy (most improved player in the comp by a mile over the previous 12 months). Not to mention the headaches that Mumford (if fit), Goodes, O'Keefe (albeit coming off injury) and Reid are likely to cause us.

We're nowhere near ready to beat Sydney, even at Aami, even if Robbie and Butcher come back for this match. I'd go as far as saying that this opponent is as unbeatable for us as Geelong or Collingwood.

Sorry to be so negative, but I can't see us getting within five goals at the final siren. I probably would have thought so even if we had decimated Essendon last weekend.

Sydney are by far the team I have admired the most over the past decade.

Don't write yourselves off just yet guys. The swans will have a test on our hands with your back line, we struggle often to not only take strong contested marks inside the fwd 50 but also to convert them into 6 points.

Plus we were horrible exposed in defence when freo went man on man we couldn't get the ball out at all.

Although I think we will beat you guys in the ruck and the midfield it should be a good test to see how you guys are going vs the top 8. Ive been impressed with ports preseason perhaps last week was just a one off.

It will be devastating to see a 15/6 win loss Primus needs to conjure up a morale boosting win here.
I dont know how he will do it though Sydney are as tough as they come and we did look like marshhmallows last week :eek:

Seems like groundhog day when we play against the swans. Nearly everytime this happens - swans get a quick burst of goals in the first quarter and then wear our players down through out the game with what seems like stoppage after stoppage. Sydney players are condiitoned slightly better at this style of play/game. Or we stick with them in the first 2 quarters only for them to bang on a couple of goals in the 3rd quarter and again wear us down... also every time one of ther rebounding defenders cuts us up & kicks goals or sets up at least 3-5 goals.

I think our best chances of beating them is to go man or man all over the ground and hope that Redden and whoever else is in ruck can break even/nullify the swans ruckman at stoppages and around the ground. if this happens and we can get enough ball in our F50 then we can win.

Quite clearly, we are Sydney's bitches. One of those games every year you can chalk up as a loss. About time that stopped.

In saying that, i don't think there is much doubt that they will be around the mark, like every year and beating them this saturday will prove a very difficult task. I like the suggestions of a man on man style game plan as their midfield is full of underrated hard running, good ball using players and it seems over the years this is where rushes of goals have come from.

Our defence is our shining light at the moment, a great start to building towards teh formation of a premiership team. Our forwardline has lots of potential but our midfield still has too many of the same sort of player, really limiting our effectiveness from this position.

Looking forward to the game but i'm going in with very modest expectations.

Can't see us beating Sydney. If all goes well we can beat or at least challenge teams like the Saints and Essendon by making them play our game, but Sydney already play our game and they play it much better than us. TBH a 5 goal loss in this game would be about par. Would love to be wrong though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm staying optimistic.

A) It's our home ground
B) It's a new group.
C) I think the days less break hurt us last week
D) We are a new team, so until they prove to me they are circa 2011, I'm believing they can win

geezuz Sydney is not exactly a football powerhouse right now and they have no forward line except a raw guy in sam reid. They beat Freo because Freo channeled the worst of Port 2011 in the first half last week. We have more chance of beating sydney here than we do away because at the scg they can flood back and clog it up where we can find more space here. They've lost LRT which will help us for sure.

We'll have to play put of our skins. Redden will need help and our better mids will have to lift in a big way.

I'm more confident than I was last week.

Yeah, but history says they usually beat us. But history also said we should've beaten Essendon last week, so maybe things are turning!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back