Review Round 4, 2014 - Coburg v Box Hill Hawks, 26 April 2014, 2pm @ Piranha Park (Coburg City Oval)

Remove this Banner Ad

Lowden was great today best on ground. He and ceglar dominated the ruck but importantly showed a lot of intensity around the ground. Could have kicked another goal had he grabbed an absolute punce of mark 15 mtrs out.

Kelly got a lot of it. Interestingly looked like the designated kick going forward. Fit and knows how to find space.

Woody who wasn't sighted in the first had a great 2nd and 3rd qtrs quiet again in the last.

Brand and Heatherley were good in defence and shored up the back half for us.

Litherland was great running out of the backline especially early. Really starting to use his turn of speed to advantage.

Sicily a lot to like about this kid. he is AFL fitness away from being in our team. Hard tough and skillfull and has a bit of toe as well. He is another that could add to our forward line. Yes he still needs to learn to run and chase but i think thats because he can't he isn't fit enough.

O'Brien well lot of us thought to ourselves wtf when he was in the AFL team and to large degree when he came back to box hill he looked lost. Boy has that changed around the kid really reads the play well and has a great set of hands and can really belt the ball kicked a couple. He is definitely coming along nicely after getting his confidence back which must have taken a hammering with his time in the AFL.

Schoey played a lot better this week he is another week away i reckon getting back to where he needs to be before he presses for selection. Building his fitness and touch. Good intensity today.

Wangers had some quiet patches in the game but what he did was great. he has a great turn of pace and did the hard yards in defence laying on the tackles. Good performance.

Grimmers well looked like he was going to break the game open today but just ddn't do it. had his couple of goals for the game.

We were taller than coburg all over the ground. Should have dominated the game and to say we were going through the motions was understatement. Especially in the last qtr.

I like what Lowden does in the Ruck, and he also knows how to take a grab. But gee his disposal leaves a sour taste in my mouth at times.

I felt a bit for Coburg, they just don't really have any talls. They really had no hope against us, which made ours look even better.

And again, I think the BHH crowd outnumbered the locals.

Sicily had a run on a wing in the 3rd and did well I thought. The boy reminds me a lot of Mundy the way he kicks especially.
Woody was superb in close and his repeat efforts were very good for someone who has missed so much footy.
The boys in the backline today didn't have to do a lot but gee they are a good collective. Heatherly and Brand in particular show real promise. Nice size and agility.

I like what Lowden does in the Ruck, and he also knows how to take a grab. But gee his disposal leaves a sour taste in my mouth at times.

I felt a bit for Coburg, they just don't really have any talls. They really had no hope against us, which made ours look even better.

And again, I think the BHH crowd outnumbered the locals.

Seemed like the crowd was fairly small overall. Ground has great parking though :thumbsu:

3WBC VFL Radio Call was great.

Woodward sounded like he's going to be a great inside midfielder. Clean by hand & seemed like the ruckmen looked for him.

Sicily - Commentry team sounded so surprised by how he went, kicked 3 & could have had another. Flying under the radar & sounds like he has really good footy smarts.

Lowden - Got huge raps from the 3WBC Commentry team, the big Dasher was great today. Seems like he's coming along nicely.

Grimley - Him & Lowden really worked well together today. Forwardline sounds really dangerous.

P.S the last box hill game I attended was when Dean Polo destroyed budd. We all know how things turned out for these 2 players in their future football. Hopefully Shoey reignite his career from today onwards.
That wrap up from that game is some of the most hilarious BF reading I've had.

Great to see Brand developing.

Could he be the +195cm defender we have been looking for. Hope he continues to shine and get a few senior games later in the year when we can rest a few against weaker opposition.

Can't help but salivate at the thought of Heatherley and Brand as the keys to our defence in the future

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lowden was dominant early. Looks really good in the forward half, and his taps were fantastic.
He is the best tap ruckman on our list when he plays like he did today(perhaps the opponent wasn't the greatest).
Ceglar was also very good.

Woodward and Ross were great in and under. I noted that Ross seemed to push into defence a lot more than the other mids, and as such he seemed to be everywhere in the time that I was watching. Woodward is an elite mid just waiting to happen it looks. He was the go to player around all stoppages and just works so well in tight, and finds an outlet or space to get a handball out.

Sicily is the most unlikely 'mongrel' that we have. He also has quite good hands in a contested mark situation and class. I think we've gone over this kid a few times in BH threads, but he just has that 'something'.

Wanganeen was very good early. Cheney is too good for VFL most of the time. Schoey was lively, but seems to be missing that edge that would see him a walk up start to the next level. Perhaps it will return in due time.

Grimley impressed me today. He looked to have lost a bit of his frantic ball use, and was a bit more thoughtful and smarter with the ball. I notice that others who watched the second half have said that he still had patches of 'headless chook' about him.

O'Brien took some nice grabs. Looked a different player to the one I saw at Williamstown. Looked far more assured in his ability, looked confident in the contest and found the ball on the lead.

Brand impresses me. He's a good size, has great intensity, good closing speed and neat disposal.

I guess it's hard to gauge against a side that is going to struggle through the season, but we have an abundance of good kids developing well at the moment.

Last edited:
Lowden was dominant early. Looks really good in the forward half, and his taps were fantastic.
He is the best tap ruckman on our list when he plays like he did today(perhaps the opponent was the greatest).
Ceglar was also very good.

Woodward and Ross were great in and under..... Woodward is an elite mid just waiting to happen it looks. He was the go to player around all stoppages and just works so well in tight, and finds an outlet or space to get a handball out.

Sicily is the most unlikely 'mongrel' that we have. He also has quite good hands in a contested mark situation and class. I think we've gone over this kid a few times in BH threads, but he just has that 'something'.

Yep....Lowden & Woodward have the stamp of 'future senior regulars' written all over them for mine!

'Mongrel' is precisely the 1 element that our senior team is missing ATM....That 'Sumfin' you mentioned, eerily reminds me of a certain Steve Johnson in his junior days....Sicily isn't as good below the knees yet, but there is so much more to work with here!

Lowden was great today best on ground. He and ceglar dominated the ruck but importantly showed a lot of intensity around the ground. Could have kicked another goal had he grabbed an absolute punce of mark 15 mtrs out.

Kelly got a lot of it. Interestingly looked like the designated kick going forward. Fit and knows how to find space.

Woody who wasn't sighted in the first had a great 2nd and 3rd qtrs quiet again in the last.

Brand and Heatherley were good in defence and shored up the back half for us.

Litherland was great running out of the backline especially early. Really starting to use his turn of speed to advantage.

Sicily a lot to like about this kid. he is AFL fitness away from being in our team. Hard tough and skillfull and has a bit of toe as well. He is another that could add to our forward line. Yes he still needs to learn to run and chase but i think thats because he can't he isn't fit enough.

O'Brien well lot of us thought to ourselves wtf when he was in the AFL team and to large degree when he came back to box hill he looked lost. Boy has that changed around the kid really reads the play well and has a great set of hands and can really belt the ball kicked a couple. He is definitely coming along nicely after getting his confidence back which must have taken a hammering with his time in the AFL.

Schoey played a lot better this week he is another week away i reckon getting back to where he needs to be before he presses for selection. Building his fitness and touch. Good intensity today.

Wangers had some quiet patches in the game but what he did was great. he has a great turn of pace and did the hard yards in defence laying on the tackles. Good performance.

Grimmers well looked like he was going to break the game open today but just ddn't do it. had his couple of goals for the game.

We were taller than coburg all over the ground. Should have dominated the game and to say we were going through the motions was understatement. Especially in the last qtr.
Nice write up mate,thanks for that listen to the game in Thailand first time the reception has never dropped out which is amazing for being over here

Obrien does have very good hands but i must say his kicking for goal is beautiful to watch. Makes perfect contact will become as efficient as Gunston when this boy returns to the seniors.

Good to hear something positive about Obrien, after what little I've seen and been hearing about him..

With Brand and Heatherley, it just sounds so good to hear so many positives of this two Kids as far as consistence goes with every weak that goes by as two Athletic talls which we've had a huge weakness in developing good K/P/B players in the past, in our defence...

And with Woodward,Sicily, all showing heaps of promise and with Anderson back soon I hope...And with Langford and Hallahan, getting time in our seniors, and with Hartung named as an emergency, well what more can I say, the future is really looking good for Hawthorn..

Development side
Best: Cassidy, Gibson, Collins, Goodwin, Tatupu, Cust.

Also like the fact Shem was amongst our best.

Ones again thanks for all the updates guys....

I am so pleased to read the positive comments on Lowden. At some stage or other many posters, including myself, have expressed disappointment about aspects of his game. Is it too early to ask if he is now showing the maturity that changes a player from promising to AFL ready?

I am also very pleased regarding the reports on Woodward. It is extremely difficult for any player to come back from two knee recos. If he can completely recover, his style of play will be so important to Hawthorn over the next several years.

Add Hallahan, Langford, Anderson, possibly Hartung, Webster and Whitecross to Hill, Smith, Puopolo and Shiels with Lewis as the leader an extremely well balanced mid field is starting to take shape. I believe it is vital to get as many games as possible into Hallahan and Langford beginning now and expose the others yet to debut as often as possible. I have not mentioned Anderson amongst the group to play now because I do not know what his immediate future is. As soon as his body is ready Anderson is an automatic inclusion. Actually I believe Hallahan and Langford should now be regular selections.

Good to have a win and see the young lads developing.
Many of the posters also pointed out that Coburg is relatively weak opposition which should also factored into the performances.
Nevertheless, an encouraging effort by our boys.

I saw a half of the Dev Squad, Brucie Buffer.

To be honest Willsmore didn't do a great deal. Hardly touched it in the time I was there. He did kick a nice goal which I mentioned earlier in the thread. He was playing on the wing but just didn't really get involved too often at all.

Shem is learning the game still, and I think equally his teammates are learning to trust him. What I mean by that is there's a bit of novelty around him being the big kiwi kid it seems. He leads quite a bit without reward. That being said he doesn't always lead to the right spot, but often when he does provide a target he is ignored. When they do send the ball his way he competes very well in the air, but I don't think he's given the ball as often as he could be.
His kicking is quite surprising in its accuracy, and his passing is as good as you'd expect it to be for a bloke so fresh into the game.
He was involved a little when I was there, but must've done a bit more in the first half to amongst the best.

It's good to see him taking steps each week, even if he is still a bit off senior football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back