News Round 4, 2015: Footy Jumper Discussion (ANZAC Round)

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks so nice. I am a huge advocate of long sleeves even if it's 40º and balmy.

How nice:

263176.jpg

They should have a short sleeves option too.

Back of Essendon's jumper is ruined by the position of the sponsors logo. Sitting lower so it's not on the sash, due to its position it's creating fold/crease through it.

Disagree. It looked fantastic and well integrated. It definitely beats their current look, poppies and all.

Long sleeves do look nice, but in cases like the one you've posted, they should extend the design. It just gets cut off
I can't remember who was wearing a long sleeve, but last week a Geelong player (Blicavs?) was wearing a long sleeve. So beautiful. Hoops running down the sleeves as well.

No they shouldn't,
yeah, they should.

you can just roll up the long sleeves.
interesting approach.

i'm sure that in the professional era, a club can get their apparel provider to sew a few short-sleeves in their sweat shops in asia, or fiji in the case of Port. ;)

Plus with most AFL guernsey designs it'd just look obscure
most AFL guernseys look naff as it is.

short-sleeves has been done for the international rules games and hasn't seemed to be an issue for the players.

it may also be a boon for merchandising.

Adidas have done it again. How do you **** something up like this?
369104.jpg
369308.jpg
369302.jpg

Dare say there was only one set of ANZAC day jumpers made, if a replacement was needed it was most likely the regular set that was the back ups. Not surprising really. I could be wrong but I doubt they would have 2 sets made up for a one off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i'll give it to Canterbury, our clash kit looks much better than last year with the new shade of blue and no NMFC.
the numbers even look good down that low, except it seems that the bottom is being folded into the jumper when it's being worn.

i'll give it to Canterbury, our clash kit looks much better than last year with the new shade of blue and no NMFC.
the numbers even look good down that low, except it seems that the bottom is being folded into the jumper when it's being worn.

i don't get the infatuation with clubs merely reversing their guernsey.

in North's case, a predominantly royal blue guernsey front and back would be much better as an alternate for the fixtures where they have similarity to the opposition, i.e., away to Geelong and Collingwood. The reversed guernsey has plenty of white on the front just like the striped/hooped clubs they're meant to avoid similarities with.

North-1925.gif

source: mero.

they wore this in their early years in the VFL and it would be suitable as they're modern day alternate (minus the V on the back and a few shades lighter for their current blue). It would offer something different to white and blue stripes too. at the moment, they're just like Collingwood, only blue. Why can't clubs in the AFL develop some sort of uniqueness?

btw, have I mentioned on these boards how classy Geelong's white kit is? no club has a full-white main kit in this League. they should make it theirs go to it full-time. ;)

on North, white guernsey and shorts doesn't look as good. It's the 'thick' stripes and solid blue socks, it doesn't flow with white shorts. The white guernsey with royal blue shorts and solid blue socks works very well for them as a main kit. And this is different to just about every other club in the League (except Hawthorn & GWS) who have the same colour shorts as the predominate colour of the guernsey. This league is becoming generic as it is in other areas and kits has been one of them.

Last edited:
I don't mind the fangs on the Hawks jumper, but it's a bit offputting that the gold stripes seem to be a lot wider than the brown on most players. It effectively looks like a gold front panel with 2 brown stripes on it instead of looking like 3 gold stripes.

I think it's because the club keeps its exact same design AND colours . It's a total win.

In North's case, they only need it against Geelong, and in my view it works fine as a clash in that fixture. Versus Collingwood, they go the full white. Again, just fine.

in North's case, a predominantly royal blue guernsey front and back would be much better as an alternate for the fixtures where they have similarity to the opposition, i.e., away to Geelong and Collingwood. The reversed guernsey has plenty of white on the front just like the striped/hooped clubs they're meant to avoid similarities with.

North-1925.gif

source: mero.

they wore this in their early years in the VFL and it would be suitable as they're modern day alternate (minus the V on the back and a few shades lighter for their current blue). It would offer something different to white and blue stripes too. at the moment, they're just like Collingwood, only blue. Why can't clubs in the AFL develop some sort of uniqueness?

btw, have I mentioned on these boards how classy Geelong's white kit is? no club has a full-white main kit in this League. they should make it theirs go to it full-time. ;)

on North, white guernsey and shorts doesn't look as good. It's the 'thick' stripes and solid blue socks, it doesn't flow with white shorts. The white guernsey with royal blue shorts and solid blue socks works very well for them as a main kit. And this is different to just about every other club in the League (except Hawthorn & GWS) who have the same colour shorts as the predominate colour of the guernsey. It's good to have some clubs that are different and have a contrast. This league is becoming generic as it is in other areas.

Agree totally with this.

While I quite like the royal based stripes, North have a perfect clash option in their arsenal which is incredibly popular amongst fans, is historically important, and looks amazing.

I think North's inverse actually looks better than the home.
True. However, I think, sometimes, foregoing aesthetic in favor of tradition, particularly when the aesthetic appeal is only marginally superior, is the way to go. So kudos to North for sticking with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back